What do you do with the LEGO boxes?

The place for General LEGO Discussions such as the LEGO website, video games, movie, general LEGO inquries and everything else not included in our forums.

Save all of them.
52%
Save selected ones only.
18%
Toss them.
7%
Recycle them.
18%
Give them away.
1%
Sell them.
1%
Other (please explain)
2%

Total votes: 83

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:19 pm

I've been buying Lego sets for my daughter (and some for husband and I) for just over a year now. Up to this point I've been saving the original boxes. I'm not sure why but I felt compelled to put them in the basement.

So I'm wondering is there any value in saving these boxes? Should I just recycle them? Cut out the pictures and save those in a binder?

I orignally thought it would be good to have the box for potential resale when she is done with them, but lets face it they aren't getting sold!

I'm curious what serious Lego collectors/enthusiasts do with the boxes.

Thanks!

slacker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Re: Do you save the boxes?

Post by slacker » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:57 pm

I save the box in case I ever decide to sell. It seems on ebay that people pay alittle more if the set is complete with the box. Problem is that they do take alot of room.

koromo
Knight
Knight

Post by koromo » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:40 pm

Back when the larger sets had flaps on the front of the box to peek at the pieces I cut off and kept these.

Now I just recycle the boxes. If I ever felt like trading or selling a boxed set I'd never open it.

Though it is interesting you can purchase boxes from some bricklink sellers independant of any sets they are selling.
Lego Fan based in Seacoast Area of New Hampshire.

Everybody
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Everybody » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:45 pm

I always save them. Like you I feel compelled.

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

Post by hatcher » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:22 pm

When I first got back into LEGO, I kept them. But eventually they were taking up more room that the LEGO itself was. Now I just keep the front of the box. But even that is starting to get out of hand. The pile of box tops must be close to a foot high.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

Brickbuilder0937
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by Brickbuilder0937 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:58 pm

If the box opens on the ends I toss it, but if it's a top open box I keep it for storing and sorting pieces.

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:54 am

I collapse the larger boxes so they don't take much room at all.
the boxes from the smaller sets i toss.
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Post by Mantisking » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:06 am

I just break them down, then toss 'em. I'm not going to resell, so there's no point in having them take up space.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:08 am

I have all the boxes from the sets I've purchased since I got back into the hobby a year ago, flattend. I don't really know why I'm compelled to keep them. When I was a kid my brother and I saved all the boxes for storage of the individual sets, but that was when they had the pull-out tray and window/flap type boxes, so it was a bit more of a 'thing' than the current end-flap box types. I have been thinking about recycling most of the boxes except for a handful (like any SW or IJ boxes). The Agents "Robo Attack" set had one of those top-open boxes which don't flatten well, but it's a great looking box so it's in the attic right now. The rest of the flattened boxes are under the futon in our office.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

oocaleb101oo
Knight
Knight

Post by oocaleb101oo » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:27 pm

I have all my boxes and in the original state. The problem I have.. is that I buy the sets and then I don't open them. Eventually i'll open them up but for now they are sealed. There definitely is a space issue that can probably happen. One thing I also save are the plastic bags the pieces came in. Fiance wonders why I keep those if anything. -shrug- Now that I think of it, I could always flatten the boxes if I opened them up and find some place to store the pieces, but man that would be a super pain to try to sort through and find pieces you needed.

I just don't think i could open up my batman legos right now.. or spiderman sets..not with the going rate of them on ebay. Yeah I don't think i'll sell in the future.. but still.

BobaFett2
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by BobaFett2 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:35 pm

I keep telling myself that I keep them because I can sell them on bricklink. Sooner or later. Mostly I keep them for completeness.
MOCpages Account
FlickR Photostream
I post a lot of reviews in the reviews forum! Check them out!

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:42 pm

I actually used to keep mine as decoration for my dorm room. Had some shelves that were out of reach so I stored them up there. Looked pretty good actually.
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:10 am

Thanks all for the feedback!

natelite
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by natelite » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:08 pm

open all the flaps and flat pack them. that way they don't take up too much room. i have attic and basement space to keep them anyway. and if you ever want to dispose them, you can simply tie up the cardboards and dump them on the sidewalk.

if you dont expect to sell your collection, i would suggest downloading the instructions and selling the instruction books and boxes. that way you keep digital copies in case you need to reconstruct the original sets in the future. and in the future, tablet pcs (or ipads) would be very common to view them on.

dr_spock
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dr_spock » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:49 pm

I saved most of mine and go back to look at them decades later.

Bricksnapper52
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by Bricksnapper52 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:17 pm

natelite wrote:if you dont expect to sell your collection, i would suggest downloading the instructions and selling the instruction books and boxes. that way you keep digital copies in case you need to reconstruct the original sets in the future. and in the future, tablet pcs (or ipads) would be very common to view them on.
Great idea. On some of the larger sets, this could get you an extra 10-15 off of your purchase.

MrDisco
Citizen
Citizen

Post by MrDisco » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:51 pm

I always save the boxes!

mrfootball
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by mrfootball » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:53 pm

I always save the boxes. I do that because a) I love to look at them every once in awhile and b) if I ever do sell them, they'll be more "complete" as I don't buy any used sets myself unless they have a box.

Opus
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Opus » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:18 am

I do now. While clearing out my parent's basement I found a box from one of the space sets I got as a child, and that gave me such a rush! It was great to just look at it. I hope to do the same for my son, now 7, so that when he looks back at them he'll feel that same sense of happy nostalgia.

Or maybe he, like my wife, will wonder why I kept all that junk...

Bricksnapper52
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by Bricksnapper52 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:46 am

Opus wrote:I do now. While clearing out my parent's basement I found a box from one of the space sets I got as a child, and that gave me such a rush! It was great to just look at it. I hope to do the same for my son, now 7, so that when he looks back at them he'll feel that same sense of happy nostalgia.

Or maybe he, like my wife, will wonder why I kept all that junk...
That's why I am keeping the boxes against my wife's wishes. These toys don't break or decay, My (distant future) grand kids will be able to open up the same boxes and play with the same toys that my kids played with. How cool will that be?