What do you do with the LEGO boxes?

The place for General LEGO Discussions such as the LEGO website, video games, movie, general LEGO inquries and everything else not included in our forums.

What do you do with the LEGO boxes?

Save all of them.
52%
Save selected ones only.
18%
Toss them.
7%
Recycle them.
18%
Give them away.
1%
Sell them.
1%
Other (please explain)
2%

Total votes: 83

Shijima
Knight
Knight

Re: Do you save the boxes?

Post by Shijima » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:28 pm

Im not too nostalgic about the boxes, they are almost all in the recycle bin. However, I still have the box for the Imperial Flagship 10210, and when I build the Imperial Shuttle 10212 in a few months I might save the box from that too.

BobaFett2
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by BobaFett2 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:35 pm

Bricksnapper52 wrote:
Opus wrote:I do now. While clearing out my parent's basement I found a box from one of the space sets I got as a child, and that gave me such a rush! It was great to just look at it. I hope to do the same for my son, now 7, so that when he looks back at them he'll feel that same sense of happy nostalgia.

Or maybe he, like my wife, will wonder why I kept all that junk...
That's why I am keeping the boxes against my wife's wishes. These toys don't break or decay, My (distant future) grand kids will be able to open up the same boxes and play with the same toys that my kids played with. How cool will that be?
Cool, until they break the boxes. That's why I try to keep my Dilbert books away from my relatives.
MOCpages Account
FlickR Photostream
I post a lot of reviews in the reviews forum! Check them out!

Selby-Tiger
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by Selby-Tiger » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:37 pm

I have been saving the boxes. I think I will eventually box them up again and give them to my youngest for X-mas. He'll never know they originally came in plastic, numbered bags! :)

DuelPear
I'm New !

Post by DuelPear » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:49 pm

I keep most of my boxes unless they're tear open type boxes like the battle packs. Of course I don't keep the sets in the boxes though, I break them down and keep them folded next to my collection.

Opus
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Opus » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:09 am

Now more than ever, actually. With the arrival of plastic clamshell packing for the Ninjago and other lines I wonder what other packaging changes are on the way.

legohunter
Count
Count

Post by legohunter » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:19 pm

I flattened all the boxes and kept them under my bed. I will put some of the brick sets back to the boxes when my son reaches his LEGO dark age. I hope he will be passionated again at the time he comes out from dark age. It was too bad that I had nothing when I was out of the dark age.

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:48 pm

legohunter wrote:I flattened all the boxes and kept them under my bed. I will put some of the brick sets back to the boxes when my son reaches his LEGO dark age. I hope he will be passionated again at the time he comes out from dark age. It was too bad that I had nothing when I was out of the dark age.
Don't let him go to the dark side! :o
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

Luciant
Count
Count

Post by Luciant » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:25 pm

My mom used to keep the front and back cut out from the boxes if I could ever find them.

My new sets I keep all the boxes as you can easily sell them, the instructions, etc. and make a few bucks. I agree with at least collecting a copy of the digital instructions if you can nab them for free... best way not to lose them, and categorize what you have. Personally I'm not selling the boxes/original contents as I prefer to keep them as original as possible (opening them of course... what collection is fun if you can't play with it?).

I plan to repackage and give them to my kids in the future... they wont know, or wont care. Lego is always a great family bonding experience... follow directions or free-form... everyone I talk to about my Lego collection instantly says "Oh, I Love Legos!" and eventually a "Sometime I'm gonna come over and we're gonna play with Legos!" (and this is from 20-30 year olds =)

If I ever sell them one day, the boxes honestly get you extra cash... go check ebay for Lego Batman sets and see the difference between someone who built from parts vs original boxes.... how I wish I would have been into Legos when those sets were out... how could I have possibly been so blind.... oh regrets.
I have mixed feelings about new releases: I can't wait to see and get the new sets... but I can't figure out where I'm gonna put them or store them.

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Re: What do you do with the LEGO boxes?

Post by atmail35 » Thu May 24, 2012 8:52 am

Bumping up because I added a poll. ;-)

Aragorn
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Aragorn » Thu May 24, 2012 2:19 pm

Sell them on bricklink or keep them.

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Post by Legobrandon » Thu May 24, 2012 7:15 pm

I keep all of my boxes in a closet. Most of them get dusty in there. I still can't get over the fact that when I was young, I threw away all my LEGO boxes. :(

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ice » Sun May 27, 2012 10:16 am

As I don't have enough space, I usually flatten them out. I try never to throw away boxes as it really makes the set look a lot better (and also easier to sell).

Brickbuilder0937
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by Brickbuilder0937 » Sun May 27, 2012 9:58 pm

I get far too many sets each year to save all the boxes, I only save the top open kind for parts storage.

barbecue17
I'm New !

Post by barbecue17 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:20 am

I just got a ton of Lego boxes from buying the Monster Fighters theme. I figured I would just recycle them. The only packaging I keep is for statues and 1/6th scale figures like Hot Toys and Sideshow.

sadowsk1
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by sadowsk1 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:32 pm

I'm keeping the boxes for either including them in resales later or backdrops to shadow boxes.

casmksam
I'm New !

Post by casmksam » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:41 pm

I turn them inside out, cut them up and use them to ship Brick Link orders, backing for instructions, posters, capes, cloth sails, etc.

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:54 am

Save all of them after breaking them down. Eventually I plan on selling them.
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

dmsmith12
Citizen
Citizen

Post by dmsmith12 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:04 am

Flatten them and store.

1brickshyofcrazy
Knight
Knight

Post by 1brickshyofcrazy » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:25 am

I pretty much toss all open boxes if the sets I open are ones that I really want to keep and display or reuse parts for a MOC

Honestly I think they're just way to big sometimes but as it has been said -- it is done this way to make the consumer feel they are getting the price tag worth...

Wampa
I'm New !

Post by Wampa » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:00 pm

Great discussion. I struggle with the issue too but running out of space. I decided to save only the boxes for sets over $50 and recycle the rest. If I do start selling the boxes on bl, does anyone know the best way to ship them?