Dark Ages

The place for General LEGO Discussions such as the LEGO website, video games, movie, general LEGO inquries and everything else not included in our forums.
Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Dark Ages

Post by Mantisking » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 am

When did you emerge from your Dark Ages? I came back to Lego a little over three years ago after playing a game of Mechaton in a house-con.

BobaFett2
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Re: Dark Ages

Post by BobaFett2 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:22 am

I sort of had a Dark Age 2004-2008-I was very into BIONICLE and when it declined my interest in the rest of LEGO also declined. It was worst 2006-2008, and 2009 I came back when BIONICLE improved. I still sort of played with LEGO.
MOCpages Account
FlickR Photostream
I post a lot of reviews in the reviews forum! Check them out!

slacker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by slacker » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:23 am

2000-2009. I came back last year when I bought the technic crane truck for my birthday. I was really into technic during the 90s and bought three sets of SW when they came out in 1999. I did a few projects in school with Legos. Now Mindstorm is taking over engineering. I haven't gotten into mindstorm yet.

ImmortalShark
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by ImmortalShark » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:30 am

Boy do I feel old. I old got back into Lego because of my kids. My dark age was 25 years (1984-2009). :shock:

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:30 am

My dark age, as far as I can tell, lasted from about 1992-2009. Christmas last year opened the floodgates once again after I received the Indiana Jones 'Venice Canal Chase' and LSW Midi Scale Millenium Falcon. I quickly bought a bunch of Space Police 3 sets at LEGO S@H after my birthday, and it's been a battle with the finances ever since!
ImmortalShark wrote:Boy do I feel old. I old got back into Lego because of my kids. My dark age was 25 years (1984-2009). :shock:
25 years is nothing to an immortal shark!
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

sadowsk1
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by sadowsk1 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:40 am

I never really had many Legos as a child but when 1999 came around and Star Wars merged with Lego I picked up the first X-wing. It kind of faded back out at that point since I was starting college and needed the money for other things. Then in 2007 I saw the Y-Wing and B-Wing on the shelves of Target at the same time and thought I could pick up all the classics from the PC game X-wing. Then I went on to hunt down an A-wing to complete the set and then I had to get the Imperial starfighters and things kind of escalated from there...It's a happy story. Eight years I would say was the length of my dark ages and it's been a battle to catch up to what I've missed ever since.

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:47 am

Never had an official Dark Ages.
have been collecting ever since I was a kid.

However it picked up substantially when the Power Miners sets were released, And my wife said she would let me get a display case.

So was a "filtered light" age if anything.
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Post by Mantisking » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:53 am

I'm not sure exactly how long mine lasted. I know when it ended, but I can't recall when I stopped playing with Lego. I know at some point in my 20s I gave away my Lego collection to a friend that had just had kids.

NIGELTTF
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by NIGELTTF » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:22 pm

How can you have a dark age if you never had lego as a kid? :?

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:45 pm

NIGELTTF wrote:How can you have a dark age if you never had lego as a kid? :?
That just means your whole life up until the time you took up the hobby was your dark age ;)
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

koromo
Knight
Knight

Post by koromo » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:29 pm

I collected from 86 to about 98. Finishing with Mindstorms mark 1 and the radio controlled car. I actually saw a pre-release Demonstration of MIS at the Boston museum of science before market and I was hooked. Though school took dominance. I did spend some time working on balsa RC airplanes and HO model trains with a neighbor during my highschool years.

After my fake Lego encounter and release of ep3 when I was in Russia I came back to collecting in 2006. I also have a book shelf for hasbro stormtroopers and select comic series.

I can say the overly abundant advertising for SW EP I and very kiddie focus on pod-racing was a deterrent to someone about to enter highschool the same year. Though I was more of a ST fan to begin with. I let ST go after the enterprise series ended which was 2005. And I started reading expanded universe novels after picking two in the airport heading to Moscow.
Last edited by koromo on Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lego Fan based in Seacoast Area of New Hampshire.

jsnweitzel
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by jsnweitzel » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:30 pm

ImmortalShark wrote:Boy do I feel old. I old got back into Lego because of my kids. My dark age was 25 years (1984-2009). :shock:
I've got you beat by a few years. Approx. 1980 - 2009. Started buying Legos for my son last year.

I've stated on other posts that I'm not an AFOL but I do enjoy sharing this with my son. I take his interests seriously and have explored various aspects of Lego over the past two years. Researching online brought me to this site.

I found Brickset and couldn't believe all of the incredible sets that TLC had put out over the past decades.
A lot had changed!

NIGELTTF
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by NIGELTTF » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:42 pm

vynsane wrote:
NIGELTTF wrote:How can you have a dark age if you never had lego as a kid? :?
That just means your whole life up until the time you took up the hobby was your dark age ;)
Then 1969 to 2003 was my dark age. Now I don't think hardly a day goes by without the word "Lego" crossing my mind. Heck, just today I bought 8 custom engraved tiles just for one MOC.

legohunter
Count
Count

Post by legohunter » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:35 pm

My attention back to lego was because of my kid, too. After my wife bought him a box of star wars lego and my son kept asking me to play with him, I was enchanted by those minifigures amd bricks.

Dark age at 1986-2008

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:36 pm

Pretty much from when I was 10 till 19 when my girlfriend pulled out an old tub of bricks and I realized that LEGO was always fun.
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

mrfootball
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by mrfootball » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:28 pm

Ditto here.

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:18 pm

mrfootball wrote:
Ditto here.
I'm glad I didn't wait to have kids first to get out of my dark ages :)
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

BobaFett2
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by BobaFett2 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:31 pm

legitimatealex wrote:
mrfootball wrote:
Ditto here.
I'm glad I didn't wait to have kids first to get out of my dark ages :)
Heh, I just had to have an annoying little brother who liked BIONICLE through that time.
MOCpages Account
FlickR Photostream
I post a lot of reviews in the reviews forum! Check them out!

toystest
Knight
Knight

Post by toystest » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:14 am

My dark ages ended X-mas 2009 when I bought a Green Grocer set for my wife....
Now my 3 year old has more legos and duplos then most kids ever have...

I collected legos from about 83-95, so it's been a loooong time :D

dr_spock
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dr_spock » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:30 pm

I stopped around 1986. I bought a couple Lego Star Wars sets around 1999-2000 if I recall. I didn't buy anything else for myself until I got the Lego bug in 2008. Most of my Lego were purchased the last two years.