What sets are so good you've paid full price to get?

The place for General LEGO Discussions such as the LEGO website, video games, movie, general LEGO inquries and everything else not included in our forums.
sadowsk1
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

What sets are so good you've paid full price to get?

Post by sadowsk1 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:12 am

This thread is kind of like similar to the deals that we score, but have you ever paid full price for a set you couldn't wait to have and skipped the deals just to get whether you wanted it so much or you thought they might run out? My secret shame revealed would be the Star Wars Home One. I know there are a lot of people out there that didn't really dig this set, but I'm a huge Star Wars fan and the chance to get Lando, General Madine, Mon Mothma, and Admiral Ackbar in the set made it too irresistible for me. I thought it was going to be more popular than it was and it would sell out fast, but them is the breaks. I wish I would have gotten it at a cheaper price later, but I still really like it.

ImmortalShark
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Re: What sets are so good you've paid full price to get?

Post by ImmortalShark » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:15 pm

For me it was the Midi-Scale Millennium Falcon (7778). This set brought me out of my dark ages. It came out just as my kids were getting into Lego so of course in was for them (yeah right!). This is my all time favourite sci-fi ship from any show/movie. (However, I did want a viper from the original BSG in my driveway when I was a kid.) I was devastated when I found out I missed the Lego price error on the UC Falcon. I would have loved that set.

mrfootball
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by mrfootball » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:47 pm

10178 Lego Motorized AT-AT - simply outstanding kit. Lots of fun to build. The engineering of the drive system is really cool and provides a bit of an education for kids in engineering.

koromo
Knight
Knight

Post by koromo » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:09 pm

Paid ~$26 for 7143 Jedi starfighter at the Offical Lego Store site at SW Celebration IV in 2007.

Guess I paid a premium from the vault( and CA taxes), but it is the best of the Starfighters to date and definately a find 5 years after release.
Lego Fan based in Seacoast Area of New Hampshire.

Everybody
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Everybody » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:11 pm

Paid full price for PoP Quest against time.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:28 pm

I paid full price for a lot of stuff late last year after I rediscovered LEGO and exited my dark age, but it wasn't out of "gotta have it"ness, but more just lack of knowledge of sales. That changed after I found this site ;)

I did pay full price for 8092 Luke's Landspeeder, since I had NEVER seen it at retail until that moment and backorders on shop.lego were routinely pushed back at the time. I've paid full price for some of the impulse baggies, since I rarely see them at discount/clearance, and they're generally a good value. I've paid retail for some Creator sets, as they're also a relatively good deal in terms of price per piece.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

koromo
Knight
Knight

Post by koromo » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:34 pm

vynsane wrote:I paid full price for a lot of stuff late last year after I rediscovered LEGO and exited my dark age, but it wasn't out of "gotta have it"ness, but more just lack of knowledge of sales. That changed after I found this site ;)

I did pay full price for 8092 Luke's Landspeeder, since I had NEVER seen it at retail until that moment and backorders on shop.lego were routinely pushed back at the time. I've paid full price for some of the impulse baggies, since I rarely see them at discount/clearance, and they're generally a good value. I've paid retail for some Creator sets, as they're also a relatively good deal in terms of price per piece.
Same here and about the landspeeder, got it the other week and every walmart Ive been to (scouring for clearance items) the landspeeder is the out of stock item.
Lego Fan based in Seacoast Area of New Hampshire.

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:15 pm

Luke's Landspeeder, but that was because the stupid Star Wars lines never seem to go on sale. I only wanted it for the minifigures.

Hrmm King's Castle Siege. It was already retired and I found it sitting on a Toys R Us shelf for full price. I couldn't let it slip by.
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

BobaFett2
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by BobaFett2 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:55 pm

6986 Mission Commander (bricklink, 100 dollars which is above original price and I didn't want to wait), and the 3837 Monster 4 for the heads and misc parts.
MOCpages Account
FlickR Photostream
I post a lot of reviews in the reviews forum! Check them out!

natelite
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by natelite » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:36 pm

legitimatealex wrote:Luke's Landspeeder, but that was because the stupid Star Wars lines never seem to go on sale. I only wanted it for the minifigures.
walmart.com had this set as part of a buy 2 for $40 bundle. bundle is sold out now, but you could have gotten this set for $20 ea.

Uno Brick
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Uno Brick » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:59 pm

Very recently, I purchased Harry Potter Quidditch at the full $20, if you don't count the 5% off you get from a VIP card. The minifigures are superb, well worth it, and the piece selection is average. ;)
Check out MOCs by Uno Brick at: http://www.mocpages.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and http://www.flickr.com/photos/65992150@N02/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :-)

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:43 am

to be honest, I have no problem buying most sets at full price.
I do not think they are unreasonable (excluding TRU "tax" of course)

However I do like to get them at a discount, and sales tend to get me to buy more sets I might not have bought otherwise.
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

MisterFubar
Peasant
Peasant

Post by MisterFubar » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:37 am

I buy most sets at full price, I'm too impatient to wait for a sale when the new sets come out.

When the sets do go on sale or clearance I buy them for resale. All the profits go back into buying sets at full price when they first come out. It's a vicious circle. ;)

locutis
Citizen
Citizen

Post by locutis » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:33 am

I only buy sets I like or need (for parts, or to complete something), so I pay whatever the going rate is.

I've bought some used (Cafe Corner) and paid through the nose, just to get it. So what sets are so good I've paid full price? All of the ones I/we (my son, too!) own. I'd say we have well over 100 sets.
All your Lego will be assimilated with mine. Resistance is futile.

legohunter
Count
Count

Post by legohunter » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:16 am

So far, green grocer. I was worried that this set will be discontinued.

peanut
Knight
Knight

Post by peanut » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:46 am

I paid full price for the current wave of Harry Potter and Kingdoms sets. Also the current battle pack and Creator sets. But I love getting a deal. I'd say the past year was about 60 percent 20% off or more deals and the rest full MSRP.

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:58 pm

Back about a year ago (before I knew about the Sales and Deals forum here), I bought a bunch of sets at full price from the Lego store. Most were gifts for my daughter's birthday so I needed them at a specific time so I really didn't shop around. Mostly they were Toy Story sets: Woody's Round Up and the Pizza Planet Truck.

I also tend to buy the small polybag or impuse sets at full price...mostly if my daughter is shopping with me. I'm willing to pick up $4 or $5 sets on a whim for her.

I've also bought Creator houses such as The Family Home/Beach House/Apple Tree Home at full price since we gave the houses to my husband (from my daughter, she picked them out) for Christmas/Birthday/Father's Day last year.

Other than that, I try to wait for a deal. I bought a bunch of stuff on Black Friday and I got 10% off, this included the Green Grocer. I also now "stock up" and buy sets I know we like/want on sale (Borders w/ coupon, Target/Kmart Clearance) and then I bring them out for gifts for my daugher for present-necessary occassions or as a treat for me ;)

fraslund
I'm New !

Post by fraslund » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:27 pm

Medieval Market Village. Great price point and such good detail. I have actually bought 3 of them.... =)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fraslund/6 ... hotostream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dr_spock
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dr_spock » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:39 pm

8258, 8043. Thinking about 8070...

Opus
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Opus » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:20 am

Pharaoh's Quest - the whole line. In fact I paid TRU price for a couple of them. I'm into that stuff, though - touching Khufu's pyramid was one of the highlights of my life. If they bring out more sets I'll be the guy buying them on day 1.