LEGO Group Partners With NASA to Build and Explore Future

The place for General LEGO Discussions such as the LEGO website, video games, movie, general LEGO inquries and everything else not included in our forums.
Post Reply
Toys N Bricks
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 668
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:02 am

LEGO Group Partners With NASA to Build and Explore Future

Post by Toys N Bricks » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:34 pm

The LEGO Group will soon be partnering with NASA to create an educational program for kids. Check out their count down of the microsite over here!
In February 2011 more than a dozen LEGO activities will be flown to the International Space Station (ISS). Astronauts will build LEGO models, complete educational activities, and record the results.

Activities will include the exploration of daily life on the ISS and the effect of microgravity on various simple machines. Videos of the completed activities and space-themed educational materials will be available at http://www.LEGOspace.com.

The LEGO Group has been creating space models since 1973 and NASA has already provided inspiration and educational insight for a new line of LEGO CITY space models to be released in 2011.
*Full article available at NASA.

Permalink: http://toysnbricks.com/blog/lego-group- ... he-future/
Toys N Bricks
A LEGO Fan Community. Like us on FaceBook and follow us on Twitter!

User avatar
Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor
Posts: 2217
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:28 pm
Location: Natick, MA, U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: LEGO Group Partners With NASA to Build and Explore Futur

Post by Mantisking » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:10 am

Sounds cool, but I really hate to think about losing a small part on the ISS. With the microgravity conditions you'd have to look on the ceiling as well as the floor for any part you dropped. :D

kevin93
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen
Posts: 180
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:23 pm
Location: THE USA

Re: LEGO Group Partners With NASA to Build and Explore Futur

Post by kevin93 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:52 pm

This is pretty cool. I'm excited for the new NASA sets.

User avatar
legitimatealex
Count
Count
Posts: 1636
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:48 pm
Location: Valparaiso, IN, USA

Re: LEGO Group Partners With NASA to Build and Explore Futur

Post by legitimatealex » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:27 pm

Now if they could ship a LEGO enthusiast up there as well :D
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

Batwing
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:08 pm

Re: LEGO Group Partners With NASA to Build and Explore Futur

Post by Batwing » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:38 pm

Grogall has some more of the Lego NASA set pics. Here is the NASA site for the official press release.
http://www.nasa.gov/home/hqnews/2010/no ... _Team.html

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

And the new space minifigure :D
Image

User avatar
vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator
Posts: 3402
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:38 am
Location: Beacon, NY

Re: LEGO Group Partners With NASA to Build and Explore Futur

Post by vynsane » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:03 am

This is a really great partnership, I'm glad to see NASA trying to get kids excited about space exploration again - When I was a kid, I wanted to be an astronaut (or a paleontologist) . I don't know how often that comes up these days if you asked a kid.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

Unknown
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:47 pm

Re: LEGO Group Partners With NASA to Build and Explore Futur

Post by Unknown » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:53 pm

Aren't these sets part of the city line or will lego separate them into a nasa line?

natelite
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian
Posts: 850
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:55 am

Re: LEGO Group Partners With NASA to Build and Explore Futur

Post by natelite » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:42 pm

vynsane wrote:This is a really great partnership, I'm glad to see NASA trying to get kids excited about space exploration again - When I was a kid, I wanted to be an astronaut (or a paleontologist) . I don't know how often that comes up these days if you asked a kid.
kids these days want to be a banker, movie star or hard partying rock star. :lol: free dope and junk! :lol:

darknight
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen
Posts: 138
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:22 pm

Re: LEGO Group Partners With NASA to Build and Explore Futur

Post by darknight » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:54 am

natelite wrote:
vynsane wrote:This is a really great partnership, I'm glad to see NASA trying to get kids excited about space exploration again - When I was a kid, I wanted to be an astronaut (or a paleontologist) . I don't know how often that comes up these days if you asked a kid.
kids these days want to be a banker, movie star or hard partying rock star. :lol: free dope and junk! :lol:
:lol:

User avatar
BlacktronManic
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen
Posts: 84
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:35 pm
Location: Surrey, BC, Canada

Re: LEGO Group Partners With NASA to Build and Explore Futur

Post by BlacktronManic » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:55 pm

I think this partnership is very cool and exciting to see NASA and LEGO working together in such a unique way. I am sure a whole slew of kids are going to get more interested in space exploration through this. I was telling my wife the other day about this and she was taken aback at hearing this news, so much so I had to show her the site (http://www.LEGOspace.com) and show her all the development that was going on around this.

Unknown wrote:Aren't these sets part of the city line or will lego separate them into a nasa line?
These new NASA space sets are all part of the LEGO City 2011 line up.

User avatar
ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Posts: 2295
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:45 am
Location: SE MI USA

Re: LEGO Group Partners With NASA to Build and Explore Futur

Post by ncbarrett » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:03 pm

This is really cool.

I'm glad they are using the Atlantis diver mask/backpack for the astronauts.
It is one of my favorite pieces.
Will be great in white with gold visor.
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

User avatar
legitimatealex
Count
Count
Posts: 1636
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:48 pm
Location: Valparaiso, IN, USA

Re: LEGO Group Partners With NASA to Build and Explore Futur

Post by legitimatealex » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:27 pm

Did anyone look at some of the rockets the people built? I wouldn't mind a few of them winding up as sets.
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

User avatar
Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor
Posts: 2217
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:28 pm
Location: Natick, MA, U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: LEGO Group Partners With NASA to Build and Explore Futur

Post by Mantisking » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:30 pm

ncbarrett wrote:I'm glad they are using the Atlantis diver mask/backpack for the astronauts. It is one of my favorite pieces. Will be great in white with gold visor.
I totally agree.

allyshan
I'm New !
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:53 am
Location: kolkata india

Re: LEGO Group Partners With NASA to Build and Explore Futur

Post by allyshan » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:09 am

What is the name of the inscription that NASA puts on anything they send into outer space? I heard a couple of years ago that NASA puts a special inscription anything they send into outer space (satellites, space shuttles, etc.). It has information about Earth, such as that there are male and female humans, we have water and land on earth, and other basic information about our planet and the human race. Its purpose is to inform any form of life that comes in contact with the object to learn where it came from and who made it. Does anyone know where I can find more information about this? I might use it in a research project about outer space.

User avatar
ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Posts: 2295
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:45 am
Location: SE MI USA

Re: LEGO Group Partners With NASA to Build and Explore Futur

Post by ncbarrett » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:57 am

allyshan wrote:What is the name of the inscription that NASA puts on anything they send into outer space? I heard a couple of years ago that NASA puts a special inscription anything they send into outer space (satellites, space shuttles, etc.). It has information about Earth, such as that there are male and female humans, we have water and land on earth, and other basic information about our planet and the human race. Its purpose is to inform any form of life that comes in contact with the object to learn where it came from and who made it. Does anyone know where I can find more information about this? I might use it in a research project about outer space.
This might help..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioneer_plaque" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 27 guests