Question for Resellers - How do you ship the Death Star?

The place for General LEGO Discussions such as the LEGO website, video games, movie, general LEGO inquries and everything else not included in our forums.
melsig
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Question for Resellers - How do you ship the Death Star?

Post by melsig » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:52 pm

I have had a sealed DS for several years, waiting for my son to get interested in Star Wars. Well, after having had to drag him to see Force Awakens last year with the rest of the family (he thought it was "okay", but it didn't inspire him to sit down and watch any of the other movies) I've pretty much given up on his being happy to open this set, so I have been thinking of selling it. I still have the original shipping box that it came in from LEGO, and it's in good shape. I was planning on mailing it in that. My husband thinks it's too risky, because it's a snug fit, despite the fact that it's a double-walled box. I was wondering if any forum resellers could share their wisdom on the best way to ship the DS? Do you use the original shipping box? Do you double-box (I hope not - it's heavy enough as it is)?

Many thanks!

StClair
Count
Count

Re: Question for Resellers - How do you ship the Death Star?

Post by StClair » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:57 pm

.... wasn't interested in watching the other movies? What? How? Seriously my son is the same. He really enjoyed watching the Clone Wars animated show when it was on. He wanted some Clone Wars LEGO sets and minifigs but... he's never really been crazy about the Star Wars movies. I don't understand it. He's watched most of them with me at this point but he has never been crazy about them. He did really like The Force Awakens though. Maybe it was because it was on the big screen?

I've never sold a set as large as the Death Star. The largest set that I've ever sold was probably a mid size Exo-Force set. With that one (and smaller ones that I've sold) I did use a larger box and I wrapped it with bubble wrap. Below and above the box I placed a layer of these big bubble things (do they have a name?)

It will increase the weight slightly to ship in a larger box with packing material but the Death Star will be so heavy that honestly the larger box and packing material will only slightly increase the weight. If you list it as mint or in great condition the buyer will expect it to arrive in that condition. I bought a Jabba's Palace from an Ebay seller (when it was still in production) and they wrapped the box in layer of bubble wrap and then wrapped that in brown packing paper. That was it. I did arrive in good condition. And I bought it to open so if there had been slight damage to the box... BUT something with a sharp corner could have easily poked a hole into the box (and inner bags). Parts could have fallen out. I wouldn't have taken the chance shipping it that way.

Packing it in a larger box will increase the size of the package that you are shipping and this will be the main cause of a higher price to pay in shipping.

When I sell items its usually just minifigures or a few items parted out. I havent had a lot of experience shipping sealed boxes (because of the shipping fees and stress it involves).

My best advice would be try selling it on Craig's List. I've only tried selling on Craig's list once and it went well. Of course this would probably take longer to sell your Death Star. Even if you get packing advice and list on ebay I would strongly encourage you to also list it on Craig's list. Just in case.

Hopefully others will share their ideas and experience. I hope to learn some tricks.

melsig
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by melsig » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:43 pm

My son's lack of interest in Star Wars continues to puzzle me and my husband - it was formative for both of us when we were his age. I hung onto this last (I had collected several) SW set hoping he'd get interested, but at this point it seems foolish to continue to tie up the money in it when he's definitely not. (Plus, I still have a sealed Tumbler, UCS Batmobile etc. that I know he actually does want waiting for him ;) ).

I didn't check before I posted my original comment, but it turns out my DS has already sold on eBay. The LEGO box I store the Tumbler in is bigger than the DS box - enough to bubble wrap and cushion the DS carefully, so I will probably use that. I'd still be interested in hearing what other people have to say, though. Thanks!

stevebuscemi
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by stevebuscemi » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:10 am

Just ask the person who buys it how they want it shipped. Don't read that wall of text. Just simply ask the buyer what he'd like. If it's not too much more expensive do it as he/she likes.

melsig
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by melsig » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:21 am

stevebuscemi wrote:Just ask the person who buys it how they want it shipped. Don't read that wall of text. Just simply ask the buyer what he'd like. If it's not too much more expensive do it as he/she likes.
As it happens, I double-boxed it - it really only cost a couple more dollars and shipping overall was far less than I had estimated, so it worked out fine. Thanks!

Brick & Blue
Count
Count

Post by Brick & Blue » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:13 am

I'm sorry peeps, but The New Hope 2 was only 'ok'.

However any good parent should just force their children to watch the first Star Wars just to watch The Empire Strikes Back. :)

captainrex803
Knight
Knight

Post by captainrex803 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:32 am

Brick & Blue wrote:I'm sorry peeps, but The New Hope 2 was only 'ok'.
Are you referencing the fact that Episode VII was practically Episode IV with new characters? If so, I'd definitely agree. Also, Episode V was the best Star Wars movie IMO.
Look, you wake up one day, and your legs, they just give and you just can't run anymore.

melsig
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by melsig » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:54 pm

captainrex803 wrote:
Brick & Blue wrote:I'm sorry peeps, but The New Hope 2 was only 'ok'.
Are you referencing the fact that Episode VII was practically Episode IV with new characters? If so, I'd definitely agree. Also, Episode V was the best Star Wars movie IMO.
I still like IV the best - it was the first PG movie I was ever allowed to see...

melsig
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by melsig » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:13 pm

Brick & Blue wrote: However any good parent should just force their children to watch the first Star Wars just to watch The Empire Strikes Back. :)
We did actually make him watch part of IV when he was pretty young, and he just had no interest in it at all. He doesn't like Harry Potter either. He's an Avatar fan - wish those LEGO sets were a little more memorable.

stevebuscemi
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by stevebuscemi » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:07 pm

It really was a mediocre movie. They were trying sooooo hard to not make an Ep 1, 2, or 3 disaster that they remade new hope.

StClair
Count
Count

Post by StClair » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:40 am

Avatar: The Last Airbender is such a great show. If LEGO could do the theme again they could make some great sets.

Brick & Blue
Count
Count

Post by Brick & Blue » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:47 am

The point of The Force Awakens was actually to retell A New Hope.

At least he likes Avatar, he has good taste. Megabloks has all the Nick Toon shows now.

dr_spock
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dr_spock » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:58 am

You should use a shipping method where a signature is required. Not a bad idea to take lots of pictures of how it is packed and condition before shipping.

melsig
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by melsig » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:39 pm

dr_spock wrote:You should use a shipping method where a signature is required. Not a bad idea to take lots of pictures of how it is packed and condition before shipping.
Yes, I agree - I did both. Ever since I had that chargeback filed on the sale of my Super Star Destroyer (which, again, I bought during the Target glitch and got rid of because son was showing no signs of interest), I've become quite careful about documenting larger sales and/or sales to a buyer with little or no feedback.

melsig
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by melsig » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:58 pm

Brick & Blue wrote:At least he likes Avatar, he has good taste. Megabloks has all the Nick Toon shows now.
I agree - it could be much worse.

It's funny you have all these ideas of what your kid is going to like - only to be completely shocked that s/he has a mind of his/her own. :-D Then again, I remember when I was my son's age, my Dad took me to see a screening of 2001: A Space Odyssey. I was bored to tears... I guess it all comes around eventually...