When is the best time to buy modular sets?

The place for General LEGO Discussions such as the LEGO website, video games, movie, general LEGO inquries and everything else not included in our forums.
chicagorando
Peasant
Peasant

When is the best time to buy modular sets?

Post by chicagorando » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:20 pm

Does anyone have any advice on when the best time is to buy the larger modular sets like Fire Brigade (10197) and Grand Emporium (10211)? I was thinking of picking up the Grand Emporium this month while Lego has their Double VIP points promotion, but maybe I should wait until Thanksgiving or Christmas? Do these larger sets ever go on sale? I've just re-entered the Lego world from the Dark Ages about 6 months ago, so I'm not that knowledgeable on sales yet. TRU has some good sales every so often (like the B2G1 Free sale last week), but the modular sets are always curiously and conveniently "out of stock" when those sales roll around.

Think I should dive in and buy the Emporium and get the double VIP points, or wait it out til the holidays?

Asterios
Knight
Knight

Re: When is the best time to buy modular sets?

Post by Asterios » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:59 pm

the only modular building to ever go on sale I can think of was the Green Grocer other then that they rarely go on sale since it is a LEGO only item, your best bet would be during the double VIP points time.

slacker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by slacker » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:49 pm

I also got out of the dark ages. I saw cafe corner last xmas and waited too long to get it. By the time I was ready, it was discontinued. My advice is to get them when you see them. I think right now is the best time with double vip points. GE is my favorite one and the newest one.

possum
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by possum » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:56 am

My immediate response to your question is "payday," but I agree about taking advantage of 2x points. I've got the Brigade & Grocer, the Emporium is next. IMO they're the best value LEGO offers and you don't want to miss them.
Disclosure of location should be required when listing your finds!

dr_spock
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dr_spock » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:01 pm

Best time is when they are available and you have the money for them. You can take your chances of waiting for a sale. I guess it depends on how badly you want them.

chicagorando
Peasant
Peasant

Post by chicagorando » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:31 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone! I grab the sets I think might be close to retirement (picked up the Green Grocer back in June, although I guess I could have waited til the Double VIP points going on now since GG is still around!) The Grand Emporium wasn't released all that long ago, so I anticipate it being available for awhile. I just wasn't sure if I could expect some good Christmas sales on it.

NIGELTTF
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by NIGELTTF » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:47 am

It is really rare to find them on sale, and often times when TRU does a BOGO they are sold out in minutes. Free Shipping is always a nice option, and comes up often enough. With the minor discount now and Free shipping, I'd pick up Green Grocer from ToysRUs.com toyday if I didn't already own 4 copies.

iamFLIP
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by iamFLIP » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:10 pm

NIGELTTF wrote:It is really rare to find them on sale, and often times when TRU does a BOGO they are sold out in minutes.
Actually, it is "out of stock" right before any TRU BOGO/BOGOHO/B2G1F sale. And miraculously appear in stock after the sale.

Anyway, I just bought Green Grocer from the local Lego store with double VIP points but it retails for $165 here in Hawaii. And was able to order the Grand Emporium yesterday from TRU.com before it went out of stock.

NIGELTTF
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by NIGELTTF » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:49 am

iamFLIP wrote:
NIGELTTF wrote:It is really rare to find them on sale, and often times when TRU does a BOGO they are sold out in minutes.
Actually, it is "out of stock" right before any TRU BOGO/BOGOHO/B2G1F sale. And miraculously appear in stock after the sale.

Anyway, I just bought Green Grocer from the local Lego store with double VIP points but it retails for $165 here in Hawaii. And was able to order the Grand Emporium yesterday from TRU.com before it went out of stock.
I would feel sorry for the higher prices you have to pay for Lego in Hawaii, but then I though "Hey they live in Hawaii" and couldn't feel sorry for you :D

iamFLIP
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by iamFLIP » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:31 pm

[quote="NIGELTTF]I would feel sorry for the higher prices you have to pay for Lego in Hawaii, but then I though "Hey they live in Hawaii" and couldn't feel sorry for you :D[/quote]

Almost everything here is expensive. There's a lot of complains about TRU markups, here there's that "you live in Hawaii" markup on top of that. And Lego store is no different -- fire brigade/grand emporium is $180 each (i was actually surprised that green grocer is only $164), winter toy shop is $80, collectible minifigs is $3, and so on. Even Walmart and Kmart have Hawaii markups and don't run the the national clearance schedules. Atleast Borders prices are same with the rest of the U.S. We can order only too but we pay way more in shipping fees. I can't complain too much though as I choose to live/work/raise a family here so I just have to pay the price. :)