2011 Lego Catalogue

The place for General LEGO Discussions such as the LEGO website, video games, movie, general LEGO inquries and everything else not included in our forums.
BrickWild
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

2011 Lego Catalogue

Post by BrickWild » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:17 am

Take a sneak-peek at all the pages of next year's Lego Catalogue! (It's in Dutch)
http://picasaweb.google.nl/115487677597 ... egoCompany#
http://www.lddmodels.jimdo.com
Lego Factory/DesignByMe (Circa 2005 - January 16 2012)
Lego Universe (October 2010 - January 2012)

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Re: 2011 Lego Catalogue

Post by ncbarrett » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:40 am

this cannot be complete 2011 catalogue. perhaps just early.
Cant believe there would be no Kingdom sets.
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Post by Mantisking » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:44 am

I'm gonna be soooooo broke.

Hodgeman
Knight
Knight

Post by Hodgeman » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:25 am

ncbarrett wrote:this cannot be complete 2011 catalogue. perhaps just early.
If you look at page 3, it seems to list release dates, which go from Dec 2010 to April 2011 - so that leads me to think this is only for the first part of year... I'm sure this isn't everything for 2011!
LEGO, it's not just a toy, it's an addiction... ;)

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:34 am

Hodgeman wrote:
If you look at page 3, it seems to list release dates, which go from Dec 2010 to April 2011 - so that leads me to think this is only for the first part of year... I'm sure this isn't everything for 2011!
Ah yes, good eye.

So for first third of year, seems reasonable.

Kingdom sets for summer make sense.
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

Asterios
Knight
Knight

Post by Asterios » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:31 am

Don't hold your breath on Kingdoms sets they may still bring some out but I fear the ninja theme is taking over the castle theme.

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:32 am

Asterios wrote:Don't hold your breath on Kingdoms sets they may still bring some out but I fear the ninja theme is taking over the castle theme.
I'm pretty sure they have never had a castle theme for only 1 year.

Asterios
Knight
Knight

Post by Asterios » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:37 am

ncbarrett wrote:
Asterios wrote:Don't hold your breath on Kingdoms sets they may still bring some out but I fear the ninja theme is taking over the castle theme.
I'm pretty sure they have never had a castle theme for only 1 year.

Castle never ended it just changes.

look at Fright Knights which came out late 97 to 98, until it was replaced by the Ninja theme, same story differant year.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:38 am

While that may have been the case last time, I doubt it this time around. The fanciful sets/conflicts make it more like an action theme than a continuation of the Castle/Kingdoms theme the way it was last time. It doesn't look like they're of an historical bent, either. The inclusion of game play makes it stand apart as well. They're looking for a way to compete with Beyblades and other collectible games of the same ilk. I think we'll see Kingdoms again next year, as it just started this year and the new NinjaGo theme doesn't fit the mold to fill its shoes.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

Asterios
Knight
Knight

Post by Asterios » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:41 am

vynsane wrote:
While that may have been the case last time, I doubt it this time around. The fanciful sets/conflicts make it more like an action theme than a continuation of the Castle/Kingdoms theme the way it was last time. It doesn't look like they're of an historical bent, either. The inclusion of game play makes it stand apart as well. They're looking for a way to compete with Beyblades and other collectible games of the same ilk. I think we'll see Kingdoms again next year, as it just started this year and the new NinjaGo theme doesn't fit the mold to fill its shoes.

Like they did with Oriental Adventurers which included game cards? like I said its the same with an added gimick is all, if the Kingdoms line was going to continue they would have brought out 1 or 2 new sets to keep interest in the line.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:52 am

Asterios wrote:Like they did with Oriental Adventurers which included game cards? like I said its the same with an added gimick is all, if the Kingdoms line was going to continue they would have brought out 1 or 2 new sets to keep interest in the line.
The Orient Adventurers sets were a continuation of an action theme that stood apart from the 'evergreen' themes (City, Castle, etc.) You may be right, but aside from the fact that the two 'bases' (the good guys Spinjitsu Dojo and the bad guys' building) are rather large buildings, there's nothing all that castle-y about the NinjaGo theme, in my estimation.

Asterios
Knight
Knight

Post by Asterios » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:04 am

There was nothing really Castly about the last Ninja theme a few big sets and a bunch of small one man sets.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogList.as ... &catID=284

put it this way LEGO doesn't want their castle theme out to contend with the ninja line.

Also the new ninja line just started has plenty of time to add more to it.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:09 pm

Asterios wrote:There was nothing really Castly about the last Ninja theme a few big sets and a bunch of small one man sets.

I see catapults, battle wagons, fortresses and boats... all mainstays of the Castle/Kingdoms line.
put it this way LEGO doesn't want their castle theme out to contend with the ninja line.
That may be true, I'd wager we'll see NinjaGo releases not coinciding with Kingdoms releases, meaning they'll be staggered from one-another (Winter 2011 for NinjaGo, Spring 2011 for Kingdoms).

legogeek
Knight
Knight

Post by legogeek » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:17 pm

BrickWild wrote:Take a sneak-peek at all the pages of next year's Lego Catalogue! (It's in Dutch)
http://picasaweb.google.nl/115487677597 ... egoCompany#
I don't think this is a catalogue meant for "consumers" but more meant for retailers seeing all those confidental logos.
Hodgeman wrote:
The summer wave has more releases compared to the january wave so I would not be suprised if this is all for january.

Asterios
Knight
Knight

Post by Asterios » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:42 pm

vynsane wrote:
Asterios wrote:There was nothing really Castly about the last Ninja theme a few big sets and a bunch of small one man sets.

I see catapults, battle wagons, fortresses and boats... all mainstays of the Castle/Kingdoms line.
That may be true, I'd wager we'll see NinjaGo releases not coinciding with Kingdoms releases, meaning they'll be staggered from one-another (Winter 2011 for NinjaGo, Spring 2011 for Kingdoms).

yes but don't forget we have the Egyptian Adventurers line coming out too, which last time they came out with an Egyptian Adventurers theme was at the same time as the last Ninja theme and no Castle theme ran with them, can we say a possible repeat of history? don't get me wrong, I'd like to see the Kingdoms line continue but for LEGO to run Castle with the Egyptian Adventurers and Ninja theme sets would kill sales on all 3 lines especially at a time when most are suffering financially.

natelite
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by natelite » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:39 am

Don't know what you guys are talking about. Personally I like some themes to fail. That way I would be able to get some of them for cheap.

Like what TLC said in some interview earlier... When they had the golden age in the 90s they had too many ideas and themes but didn't produce them all because they didn't want to overload the market. In hindsight they should have went all out. So I guess the new lesson now that they are in their second wind, it is to not repeat the previous mistake. If you ask me, TLC will issue more sets more themes but fewer quantity to keep the rarity and desirability high. Best combination there is. They just had a marketing lesson in the CMF series. Keep supply low and they will sell out.

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:23 am

natelite wrote:Don't know what you guys are talking about. Personally I like some themes to fail. That way I would be able to get some of them for cheap.

Like what TLC said in some interview earlier... When they had the golden age in the 90s they had too many ideas and themes but didn't produce them all because they didn't want to overload the market. In hindsight they should have went all out. So I guess the new lesson now that they are in their second wind, it is to not repeat the previous mistake. If you ask me, TLC will issue more sets more themes but fewer quantity to keep the rarity and desirability high. Best combination there is. They just had a marketing lesson in the CMF series. Keep supply low and they will sell out.
I suppose it makes sense to make smaller original themes i.e. Power Miners.
I guess it makes sense they if they don't make anymore. Although I really like them, not sure what else they could make to contribute to it. Just hope they use the rock monster mold again, love those little guys.

Also, I noticed the current city farm sub-theme is the only one they have every made.
Hope they make a 'unique' city series to replace it.

slacker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by slacker » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:58 am

no new modular buildings? I like the technic sports car. looks like a Dodge Viper. SW battle packs are great but not at the new price.

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:02 am

I highly doubt that the Kingdoms line is going to be taken over by the Ninja Go line. If Ninja Go were going to replace any line it would be the World Racers line. Ninja Go is definitely Action not Castle like the last go at Ninjas. How could you spin a bunch of Ninjas fighting the undead as a Castle line?
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

Asterios
Knight
Knight

Post by Asterios » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:15 am

legitimatealex wrote:I highly doubt that the Kingdoms line is going to be taken over by the Ninja Go line. If Ninja Go were going to replace any line it would be the World Racers line. Ninja Go is definitely Action not Castle like the last go at Ninjas. How could you spin a bunch of Ninjas fighting the undead as a Castle line?

yes lets see undead skeletons, in castle line, undead skeletons in ninja line, ninjas in castle line, ninjas in ninja line, still sounds same, like I said wish I was wrong, but if LEGO holds true to form while they may continue to put out the kingdoms line for another season I fear this is the last of it, hope i'm worng since I had high hopes for these figs, but history is saying otherwise.