LEGO bulk sales policy update related to artist Ai Weiwei?

The place for General LEGO Discussions such as the LEGO website, video games, movie, general LEGO inquries and everything else not included in our forums.
StClair
Count
Count

LEGO bulk sales policy update related to artist Ai Weiwei?

Post by StClair » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:46 pm

Recently I read that the LEGO group had denied a request by artist Ai Weiwei to sell him LEGO in bulk. Being an art teacher and a fan of LEGO I was caught in an unusual situation (its easy for me to usually identify and side with the artist). Here's a link to an article if you missed it http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign ... exhibition

I just noticed on the LEGO site (under newsroom) that the LEGO group has updated their policy on selling LEGO in bulk. It doesn't mention artist Ai Weiwei or the situation but I'm guessing that the policy change was a direct result of it. Here's a link to the LEGO update to their policy http://www.lego.com/en-us/aboutus/news- ... bulk-sales

Here's the general gist of the updated policy (but you can read more at the above link):
"As of January 1st, the LEGO Group no longer asks for the thematic purpose when selling large quantities of LEGO bricks for projects. Instead, the customers will be asked to make it clear - if they intend to display their LEGO creations in public - that the LEGO Group does not support or endorse the specific projects."

slacker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Re: LEGO bulk sales policy update related to artist Ai Weiwe

Post by slacker » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:31 pm

I saw a documentary on Weiwei last year. I can see the chinese govt having something to do with this as there are Lego factories in China. I know that the chinese govt can seize factories at will. Have there been anyone else that have been refused of purchasing from Lego?

dr_spock
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dr_spock » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:26 am

I guess they were treating your build like you were building something to display in their community window at the retail brand LEGO stores. Politics, violence, sex, alcohol, modern warfare have been not acceptable subjects policy of LEGO for a long time. Ideas also has those as not acceptable subjects for project submissions.

I wonder if they are going to make you put up a big sign saying LEGO neither sponsor or endorse this MOC before selling you the goods. I think it is good that they won't hold you to their company values if you aren't building or working for them and don't share the same values.

StClair
Count
Count

Post by StClair » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:47 am

slacker wrote:I saw a documentary on Weiwei last year. I can see the chinese govt having something to do with this as there are Lego factories in China. I know that the chinese govt can seize factories at will. Have there been anyone else that have been refused of purchasing from Lego?
I read several articles about it but am far from an expert on the matter. From what I can tell the LEGO group wouldn't sell to him in bulk. I'm not sure if others have placed similar requests. This may open a can of worms but here's my 2 cents on the matter. I almost always side with artists and artistic expression. In this case though from a companies perspective they should also have rights and the LEGO group diligently considering how their product is perceived (keeping it kid friendly and such... even if some of us may disagree from time to time what products are produced). This being said I can definitely see why the LEGO group may be wary about their product being used to create a political statement.

From what I can gather they didn't refuse to allow him to use LEGO to create his artwork. They simply wouldn't sell to him in bulk for his proposed artwork. I had to take an opposing side of some friends that I normally side with on the issue.

If the LEGO group doesn't want to sell to him in bulk for his project I think they should have the right to that decision (if this is normal procedure). I tried to learn more about the special LEGO builders that create sculptures and things with LEGO. Apparently there are less than 20 in the world. I forget their official title. If I remember correctly Nathan Sawaya is one of these special builders. I wanted to find out if these builders are supplied with free LEGO or if they are allowed to buy in bulk. I couldn't find the information. I'm assuming that they buy in bulk from LEGO. I also assuming that LEGO has some power over them in terms of whether or not their artwork can enter the political realm (although I'm not sure if its with pay or by controlling whether or not they can buy in bulk... or simply lose their title). I would like to learn more about these "Master Builders" (if that is the correct title).

I'm sure that a majority of the members of this forum consider ourselves artists with our LEGO creations. What we do with our LEGO is our business (since we already own them). Sigh... I hate going against an artist... but here we go... if Ai Weiwei wants to create artwork with LEGO he can buy LEGO in the same manner that we do (I've spent years building up my collection of parts) or he can always make the decision to approach a rival brand with similar parts to see what their response is.

I wish that I could answer your question completely but I couldn't find information to do so. I did find it interesting that the LEGO group is now updating their policy statement. Their timing made me wonder if it had something to do with the Ai Weiwei situation. I'm familiar with some of Ai Weiwei's artwork but haven't watched the documentary about him yet. He has definitely faced some opposition with government oppression. I wanted to side with him in this case but I can't.

dr_spock
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dr_spock » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:22 am

They are called LEGO Certified Professionals or LCP. Master Builder is the title for the head builder at LEGOLAND. LEGO has some influence over LCPs as LEGO controls the title and qualifications. Master Builders have access to LEGO elements not sold in sets or available to general public. I think LCP may also have that benefit.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:25 am

It seems to me that, if the policy change isn't directly because of his situation, it's at least actually in his favor. Previously, it was prohibited for him to participate in the bulk purchase program because of the political nature of his work and the stringent nature of their policy. Now, with these policy changes, if I read it correctly, he CAN purchase in bulk as long as he agrees to either implicitly or explicitly state (depending on whether or not they require a public disclaimer) that his work is not sponsored by The LEGO Group. The wording of the policy alone can be seen as an implied agreement, so it may not be required to have an explicit disclaimer on/near the work itself.

This is similar to how many movies that feature commentaries by the directors and actors will have a disclaimer that their views and opinions do not reflect those of the production company nor its employees. It's a "CYA" move that allows more freedom of expression on the parts of those individuals that will keep the company from being held responsible/accountable for those expressions.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

StClair
Count
Count

Post by StClair » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:31 pm

dr_spock wrote:They are called LEGO Certified Professionals or LCP. Master Builder is the title for the head builder at LEGOLAND. LEGO has some influence over LCPs as LEGO controls the title and qualifications. Master Builders have access to LEGO elements not sold in sets or available to general public. I think LCP may also have that benefit.
Thank you! LCP! I couldn't remember the title and it wasn't an easy to do a quick search for on google. Master builder is what always pops into my head the easiest.

StClair
Count
Count

Post by StClair » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:33 pm

vynsane wrote:It seems to me that, if the policy change isn't directly because of his situation, it's at least actually in his favor. Previously, it was prohibited for him to participate in the bulk purchase program because of the political nature of his work and the stringent nature of their policy. Now, with these policy changes, if I read it correctly, he CAN purchase in bulk as long as he agrees to either implicitly or explicitly state (depending on whether or not they require a public disclaimer) that his work is not sponsored by The LEGO Group. The wording of the policy alone can be seen as an implied agreement, so it may not be required to have an explicit disclaimer on/near the work itself.

This is similar to how many movies that feature commentaries by the directors and actors will have a disclaimer that their views and opinions do not reflect those of the production company nor its employees. It's a "CYA" move that allows more freedom of expression on the parts of those individuals that will keep the company from being held responsible/accountable for those expressions.
Yes. I think you're right. It does appear that he may be able to purchase in bulk (as you said). I'm curious to see if he follows through with his plans now. Nice connection with disclaimer in commentaries.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:49 am

It's an interesting policy change to be sure. It's so funny how legalese can work, since they now CAN safely "support" (NOT endorse ;-) ) his artistic expression with impunity, whereas before the wording was such that it implied their endorsement of whatever work was being created.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

dr_spock
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dr_spock » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:41 am

Looks like he's on to another project.