Minifig Quality

The place for General LEGO Discussions such as the LEGO website, video games, movie, general LEGO inquries and everything else not included in our forums.
DarthPaka
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Minifig Quality

Post by DarthPaka » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:21 am

Has anyone else noticed a lack of quality in new minifigs? I recently bought 2 new star wars sets and the arms on all figs in both sets were cracked!! Customer service sent me replacements after I supplied proof of purchase via a code on the back of the instructions. But Ive noticed the same defect of figs ordered thru Bricklink, and I dont think Lego would do replacements for those. Seems to be a cheaper plastic or something, Ive got minifigs from the 80s that are still in perfect condition.

Anyone else noticed this?

lego the hutt
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Re: Minifig Quality

Post by lego the hutt » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:55 am

I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary. Where do you live? Is it a very humid, or lack there of, climate?

That being said, comparing bricks from the 80s to bricks from the last 10 or 15ish years are quite different.

DarthPaka
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by DarthPaka » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:12 am

I live in Red Deer AB, but my figs havent been exposed to the elements, unless it happened before purchase.

lego the hutt
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by lego the hutt » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:28 pm

Take this all with a grain of salt, I am not an expert and I only know the little I have read and what I have seen where I live. It rains a lot and rarely snows here. The temperature is generally mild.

Humidity and being exposed to the elements isn't really the same.

From what I have read in the past, 55% humidity is the number you want to shoot for as far as storing collectibles...though it seems to me that a little higher humidity would be better than lower humidity since we are talking about abs plastic specifically in this case. A little bit of extra moisture shouldn't hurt to much I wouldn't think but drying out seems like it could lead to cracking. You are never going to keep it exact (i do use a dehumidifier...I live in the Pacific NW). I'm guessing that extreme fluctuations might affect things a lot more than just high or low humidity in general.

This kind of thing is usually discussed more pertaining to higher end collectibles.

Once again, I'm no expert, but a quick search does seem to show that your area has a very high variance in humidity. It ranges from a low of 25% humidity to a high of 100% humidity in the last 3 months. Here is some info:
http://reddeer.weatherstats.ca/metrics/ ... idity.html

Could this be the reason why you are seeing cracking? I give it a definite maybe. It is something to consider.

DarthPaka
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by DarthPaka » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:17 pm

Could be, but ive noticed this in figs when I lived in the pacific northwest too. Like all of us, ive got a huge collection, so if its the humidity or lack there of then I should be seeing this in more of my figs. I got the replacements today in the mail from Lego, and the letter that came with it basically says "it happens". At least they replaced them.

lego the hutt
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by lego the hutt » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:35 am

yep, that's all that matters.