LEGO Building table inspiration

The place for General LEGO Discussions such as the LEGO website, video games, movie, general LEGO inquries and everything else not included in our forums.
jeffrey
Peasant
Peasant

LEGO Building table inspiration

Post by jeffrey » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:26 am

So, for the longest time I have been fantasizing about making my own LEGO building table. A good tall table, measured out to fit multiple baseplates, a lip on the edges so pieces don't fall to the floor, a hidden door to sweep pieces into a collecting bag, lights...I digress.

If only I had any carpentry skills. Ahh, I'll just fake it.

Anyone out there build their own table?
Care to share any pictures?
Last edited by jeffrey on Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

StClair
Count
Count

Re: LEGO Building table inspiration

Post by StClair » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:48 am

I would love to do the same. Love the idea of a hidden door for cleaning off the table. I find that I spend most of my time building in the floor though. Maybe its because I don't have a table for building though

lego the hutt
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by lego the hutt » Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:51 pm

I have been thinking about building or buying a large size "lap desk".

I like to be able to build in multiple locations so the mobility of it would be a big plus for me. I was thinking something about 3 feet wide and a couple feet deep...with a lip like was mentioned above to catch stray pieces. I like to be able to pick everything up and set it aside when not in use.

Ben
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by Ben » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:05 pm

My Lego building table is 40 inches by 80 inches so it accommodates 4 32x32 baseplates by 8 32x32 baseplates nicely. The table top is a piece of 5/8 inch birch plywood that I had cut to size at Rona where I bought it (Rona is a store like Lowes or Home Depot and getting them to cut it with their panel saw made it easier to get home and saved me from fighting with a heavy piece of plywood on my table saw). I put a couple of coats of polyurethane on it so it's nice and smooth. The supporting frame is just made out of 2x4s held together with deck screws. It's about 37 inches from the floor to the table top because I generally like to stand to build and that's the height that I find most comfortable (I also have an appropriate height stool if I want to sit). The table is accessible from all sides, so I never have to reach more than 20 inches into the centre of the table.

I don't have an edge on the table to stop pieces from falling off of it. Sometimes this is a bit annoying with 1x1 cylinder bricks or other parts that roll easily, but most of the time I prefer it without an edge because I can easily hold a container at the edge of the table and then sweep parts into it.

sparkart
Peasant
Peasant

Post by sparkart » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:53 am

I'd start with a rolling kitchen island from Target or IKEA. They can be a few hundred dollars, but that's relatively cheap considering the engineering, design, and assembly of materials to make the products.