Buying a case of minigs?

The place for General LEGO Discussions such as the LEGO website, video games, movie, general LEGO inquries and everything else not included in our forums.
swart2
I'm New !

Buying a case of minigs?

Post by swart2 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:01 am

I am very excited about the monster themed minifgs coming out in October 2015! I have been considering buying a case of these when they come out, rather than just trying to piece out each fig or picking up an overpriced completed set on ebay. Anyone ever do this before and did you have any luck getting a complete collection out of the case?

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

Re: Buying a case of minigs?

Post by hatcher » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:13 am

A complete case of 60 will (or at least the last couple of series did) have 3 complete sets. Some figures come 3 in a box, some 4, and some 5. I have been buying a case, feeling each one to find the complete sets and then returning (unopened of course) the figures I don't want or need. The trick is finding a complete case that hasn't been rifled through.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

swart2
I'm New !

Post by swart2 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:45 am

Where do you usually go to purchase a full case? Ebay? Or know someone at target or something?

hatcher
Count
Count

Post by hatcher » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:24 pm

No, don't know anyone. I just get lucky and buy them off the shelf. I think it was Walmart that I found them at. Basically, I just went in to the store each day after hearing they were out until I found them.

Brick & Blue
Count
Count

Post by Brick & Blue » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:47 pm

Yeah I was at Target and they had two brand new boxes, one had a few missing I think, nothing major, the other I think was barely opened. If you ask some stores might hold a box for you for a few hours or so.

swart2
I'm New !

Post by swart2 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:31 pm

Been looking at some of the current case prices on ebay. Some are just gougers, but a few of the others seem to have their prices in line. Might be my best option since I do not live close to a Target or Walmart unfortunately...

Brick & Blue
Count
Count

Post by Brick & Blue » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:37 am

swart2 wrote:Been looking at some of the current case prices on ebay. Some are just gougers, but a few of the others seem to have their prices in line. Might be my best option since I do not live close to a Target or Walmart unfortunately...
There are places without Walmart?!

Shockingly I barely see them at Walmart anyways, it's been years since I've seen a series there.

I once bought a full series, I think it was 7, on Amazon for about $6 more than MSRP. Sometimes it's just a lot easier than gas money and such.

At one point Amazon France used to sell boxes for like $120-$160ish. So you could always look into that too.

SpaceViking
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by SpaceViking » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:39 pm

Here's the link to the amazon.fr listing. currently out of stock, though
http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B00PY3FTN6

Total amount shipped to the states is 162.90 Euro. At the current exchange rate, that works out to about $3.10 a piece. If your credit card charges foreign exchange fees, though, it will be a little bit higher.

Usually takes only a week to arrive, once it ships.

swart2
I'm New !

Post by swart2 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:46 pm

Thanks! Very cool, appreciate the help and advice. Wanting to do this for the October monster related minifigs that are coming out. I'll be ready now! Thanks!

kibosh
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by kibosh » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:20 am

I just bought a sealed case of the current CMFs on eBay for $229 shipped. When you include tax at the store, going this route saves me almost $.50 on each figure. I'll sell off two complete sets, keeping one set and the extras, and just about recoup my cost.

swart2
I'm New !

Post by swart2 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:51 am

When you do this, do you generally open each of the packages, or do you try to do the "feel and identify" the package? Does it affect the resale value by opening each minifig package to identify the contents for certain? Curious for my own use, when I try this in the fall...

hatcher
Count
Count

Post by hatcher » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:06 am

I use the "feel and identify" method, but that's mainly because I return the ones I don't want. I've been doing it since series 3, so I've gotten pretty good at it. I really don't know if opening them up affects their resale value or not.

Brick & Blue
Count
Count

Post by Brick & Blue » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:01 pm

hatcher wrote:I use the "feel and identify" method, but that's mainly because I return the ones I don't want. I've been doing it since series 3, so I've gotten pretty good at it. I really don't know if opening them up affects their resale value or not.
I trade the mini figures, sometimes I ask the buyer if it's not open if they want me to cut it open and double check. I'm pretty sure it has no effect on the price being the person wants the mini figure and not the bag. It's not like the sets in boxes where the box is also collectable.