Why all of the LEGO exclusions on coupons?

The place for General LEGO Discussions such as the LEGO website, video games, movie, general LEGO inquries and everything else not included in our forums.
DarthMC
Peasant
Peasant

Why all of the LEGO exclusions on coupons?

Post by DarthMC » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:53 pm

Over the last 6 months I have noticed a large increase in retailer coupons with LEGO in their list of inclusions.

All of the B&N 15% and 20% off coupons now state ALL LEGO excluded when it used to only exclude the Mindstorms sets.

The latest few TRU coupons I got in the mail excluded LEGO.

The 10$ off 100$ and 5$ off 50$ register coupons from Target that I got this week excluded LEGO as well.

As far as Barnes and Noble goes, I asked a manager if it was a temporary situation and they said it was permanent and the company was told directly by LEGO to exclude them from the coupons although I think the 10% member discount will still work. I don't think they were too happy about this as they will lose some of the members come renewal time.

So, has anyone else seen any other examples of this in other stores....

DarthMC

Brick & Blue
Count
Count

Re: Why all of the LEGO exclusions on coupons?

Post by Brick & Blue » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:05 pm

1. LEGO sells without coupons so these companies only want to get rid of lesser wanted products for a discount.

2. I can't prove this, but it would make sense. LEGO has asked stores to not have coupons on their sets. We know for a fact they have done this with exclusive sets.

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

Post by hatcher » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:44 pm

I agree with Brick and Blue. The stuff sells without sales, so why put it on sale? Lego is now the worlds top toy maker. The Lego Movie did so well that demand for the product went up even more than expected. In the week before Christmas, the LEGO aisle at both Walmarts, TRU and Target in my area were picked clean, without a single sale.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

vhn2dmd
Citizen
Citizen

Post by vhn2dmd » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:42 am

Sigh... I'm happy that LEGO is doing so well and popular but I think sales on LEGOs will get less and less.

Brick & Blue
Count
Count

Post by Brick & Blue » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:14 am

You just need to be creative. Target has some great sales because they have sets for cheaper and then have the cheaper price with a weekly sale. I bought a bunch of LEGO from them when they did a $10 off of $40 when you did in store pick up, and you were allowed four transactions.

dr_spock
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dr_spock » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:30 am

Yeah, there seems to be less deals. When there's a deal, you're racing everyone else to the store or online checkout button.