Adults walking into Toy Stores

The place for General LEGO Discussions such as the LEGO website, video games, movie, general LEGO inquries and everything else not included in our forums.
imooumoo
Citizen
Citizen

Adults walking into Toy Stores

Post by imooumoo » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:31 pm

I'm just barely an Adult, but when I walk into Toy's R US, and Mastermind, I cant help but feel a little weird being surrounded by younglings, and me being the only big guy there looking at Lego. Also, I don't look old enough to have a kid, so it would be easy to assume that I'm there for me.

I don't know, who else gets a weird feeling shopping for Lego?

possum
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Re: Adults walking into Toy Stores

Post by possum » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:39 pm

I'm only weirded out when I have to share the Lego aisle with some awkward young adult.
Disclosure of location should be required when listing your finds!

legohunter
Count
Count

Post by legohunter » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:45 pm

It happened to me that parents and kids were next to me when I was browsing at LEGO section. In fact, I did not care how they felt about my existence, coz' everyone were free to shop there. Besides, I wanna had fun for shopping, so I kept focusing in looking at the "wall of lego set". You may not see these in your home. So, enjoy in your next visit. ;)

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:13 pm

I'm into the line of thought of 'screw you people I can buy it too.' I get rather annoyed by the children most of the time though. Specifically when I hear 'But it only costs '$xxx.xx!' I can't stand them and I want to explain to them exactly where that money comes from. I know that it is an age issue and that children are incapable of grasping such large concepts but sometimes I wish there was an adult toy store that wasn't all sex toys. It's hard to meet someone randomly and talk about your LEGO hobby or passion with a bunch of kids who like LEGO because 'they like space stuff.'
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

Post by hatcher » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:20 pm

I've never had anyone look at me (to my face) strangely about being in a toy store. Besides, I always say to myself, parents buy their kids toys, I could be shopping for a kid, so what is their problem?

I did have a cashier question why I buying 10 of the same set when it was on clearance for like $10 each. I just told her they make great birthday presents.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

dr_spock
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dr_spock » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:31 pm

I would try to blend in like I was shopping for my nephew or niece. Say yes when they ask if you want a gift receipt. :)

You can always order online and miss the crowds.

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:25 am

It's a free country.
I have no more problem walking into a toy store as an adult (age only) than a grocery store.
Oh and im 34.
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

toystest
Knight
Knight

Post by toystest » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:14 am

People get kids as young as 17-18 these days, so any adult could be old enough. I guess if you feel uncomfortable you can grow a beard, that'll add a few years ;)

but honestly why do you care, if they want to look at you weird, let them. If someone were to ask you about it, which I really doubt, just say your an AFOL :D

slacker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by slacker » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:05 am

I've had older looking adults staring at me. I'm 34 and I look like I'm in my early to mid 20s. Parents would come up to me asking why I'm buying so many CMF. I tell them it's for my kids to do homework. which is partially true. I also get them for myself. As for little kids, they don't care.

natelite
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by natelite » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:26 am

the trick is not to freak out when you see lego. :lol: seriously though...

i have seen people in their 30s RUN to the lego aisle and act all crazed like when they saw the limited edition set still available, and they run to checkout and one even return to buy another set like his life depends on it. oh, this was when the home one set was on sale in tru for like 30% off or something.

i usually just coolly and casually stroll to the lego aisle, pushing my cart and act like i'm shopping for birthday gifts. :lol: if the cashier or whoever ask why i get so many, i would say ... it's for a birthday or my child's party, or something like that. works great when you buy many of the tiny bags, like TS alien or chromy stormie.

i don't get why people run. i usually just turn up at store opening time and casually walk in. the sets are usually just sitting there. like just yesterday. i was there early morning and nabbed all the spartans from tru. :lol: no employees saying anything about limits, and no one was there when i rummaged through the boxes. was able to clean out 3 of 4 (the last one was in renovation, and i couldn't spot any CMF box) stores near me that way.

oh, and i'm in my mid to late 30s. :lol:

GoN2Broadway
TnB Customizer Reporter
TnB Customizer Reporter

Post by GoN2Broadway » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:35 am

For myself - I am proud of the fact that I am 27 and still going to the Lego aisle - that says something about a product when people see all ages still getting it. I used to say things like "I'm getting it for a present" or similar phrases, but after a while I decided - "what does it matter if they think I'm weird for still buying toys". While I have been shopping in TRU I have often helped other parents find the best deals on Lego (which with TRU, sets can often be cheaper in other stores), or give my personal opinion upon which set I enjoyed more. They are always grateful, and it seems to me that Lego is like boating - you always want to wave or say hi ;) Anyway, those are my two cents ;)
Family Bricks
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/49756387@N02/

InfectiousZombie
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by InfectiousZombie » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:31 pm

I've been lucky I guess because it doesn't seem to matter how old anyone is in the lego isle at my local TRU. Best part of being grown up is that you can buy all the toys you want is what I usually tell store clerks if they look at me funny. :)

hatcher
Count
Count

Post by hatcher » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:34 pm

Funny story, I was in TRU yesterday looking for clearances (didn't find any) and while I was looking around, a woman approached me and started asking me where thing were. Then I realized I was wearing a red shirt and she thought I was an employee. LOL. I told her I didn't work there, and she said that since I didn't have any kids with me that I must be an employee. Alrighty then. :D

toystest
Knight
Knight

Post by toystest » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:07 pm

hatcher wrote:Funny story, I was in TRU yesterday looking for clearances (didn't find any) and while I was looking around, a woman approached me and started asking me where thing were. Then I realized I was wearing a red shirt and she thought I was an employee. LOL. I told her I didn't work there, and she said that since I didn't have any kids with me that I must be an employee. Alrighty then. :D
lol, did she have kids with her?

sadowsk1
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by sadowsk1 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:05 pm

Never thought about it once.

Asterios
Knight
Knight

Post by Asterios » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:08 pm

Don't matter to me in fact they call me the LEGO guy at my local TRU.

hatcher
Count
Count

Post by hatcher » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:26 pm

toystest wrote:
hatcher wrote:Funny story, I was in TRU yesterday looking for clearances (didn't find any) and while I was looking around, a woman approached me and started asking me where thing were. Then I realized I was wearing a red shirt and she thought I was an employee. LOL. I told her I didn't work there, and she said that since I didn't have any kids with me that I must be an employee. Alrighty then. :D
lol, did she have kids with her?
yep! :lol:

toystest
Knight
Knight

Post by toystest » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:32 am

Asterios wrote:Don't matter to me in fact they call me the LEGO guy at my local TRU.
I guess that's better then being called 'the diaper guy' at the local Walgreens, because I bought 30-40 packages of diapers (every single package they had of their own brand) last year when they were on clearance for 2$. My boys are still wearing them :D

Go LEO GUY!

wkunert
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by wkunert » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:43 am

That I should ever feel self conscious about shopping never even occurred to me. People in Target are more mindful of the crackhead talking gibberish and eyeing their purse. I ran into a fellow nerd-dad there yesterday with his barcode cheat sheet.

slacker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by slacker » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:11 pm

you know, I haven't met anybody with either the barcode sheet or a barcode reader phone. Is that weird?