How Many LEGO Events/Conventions Have You Been To?

The place for General LEGO Discussions such as the LEGO website, video games, movie, general LEGO inquries and everything else not included in our forums.
JustBrickin
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

How Many LEGO Events/Conventions Have You Been To?

Post by JustBrickin » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:32 pm

I've never been to any myself but I really want to. Is it crowded? Is it enjoyable? Is the trip worth it to travel by plane?
Building LEGOs, one piece at a time...

My Flickr

sketchman
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Re: How Many LEGO Events/Conventions Have You Been To?

Post by sketchman » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:10 pm

Brickworld is the only "convention' I've been too...I don't think they have them in Cali...but it was GREAT fun!

StClair
Count
Count

Post by StClair » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:15 pm

I have not been to actual conventions. I would like too. My son and I went to a LEGO kidsfest over a year ago. It was a lot of fun. For AFOLs it wouldn't be worth a long trip though. There was several "events" for young fans that consisted of an area with pieces for making cars (wheels, plates and odd parts) with ramps so that could "race" them down. There was a section for making mosaics (small base plate with loads of 1x1 bricks). Event goers didn't get to keep there builds or creations though. Mosaics could be left on a display that workers would later take apart and recycle for the next group. There was a Speedor demo booth where you could wait in line to try out Speedors (yah) but when we went they were new. The Speedor booth was just before our time ended (before we had to leave) and they actually gave away some of the Speedor sets to young ones. My son got one for free. There was section with just piles of LEGO. Kids could sit on the pile of LEGO and build. It was cool to see that many LEGO. My favorite part of LEGO kids fest though was the creations on display including some of the life size builds such as Captain Rex (clone wars), Batman, r2d2, Lightning Mcqueen (life size and made of LEGO!), Hobbit Hole (life size.. that was cool). I wouldn't recommend LEGO kidsfest for adults driving a long distance unless you are taking kids. If I lived nearby I would visit even if I didn't take kids.

JustBrickin
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by JustBrickin » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:05 pm

sketchman wrote:Brickworld is the only "convention' I've been too...I don't think they have them in Cali...but it was GREAT fun!
Sadly, the only convention I know is Bricks by the Bay or something like that, but it's near San Francisco which is WAAAAAAAY too far.
StClair wrote:I have not been to actual conventions. I would like too. My son and I went to a LEGO kidsfest over a year ago. It was a lot of fun. For AFOLs it wouldn't be worth a long trip though. There was several "events" for young fans that consisted of an area with pieces for making cars (wheels, plates and odd parts) with ramps so that could "race" them down. There was a section for making mosaics (small base plate with loads of 1x1 bricks). Event goers didn't get to keep there builds or creations though. Mosaics could be left on a display that workers would later take apart and recycle for the next group. There was a Speedor demo booth where you could wait in line to try out Speedors (yah) but when we went they were new. The Speedor booth was just before our time ended (before we had to leave) and they actually gave away some of the Speedor sets to young ones. My son got one for free. There was section with just piles of LEGO. Kids could sit on the pile of LEGO and build. It was cool to see that many LEGO. My favorite part of LEGO kids fest though was the creations on display including some of the life size builds such as Captain Rex (clone wars), Batman, r2d2, Lightning Mcqueen (life size and made of LEGO!), Hobbit Hole (life size.. that was cool). I wouldn't recommend LEGO kidsfest for adults driving a long distance unless you are taking kids. If I lived nearby I would visit even if I didn't take kids.
Thanks for the info! I wanted to go here to my birthday 2 years ago, but my parents aren't into promoting TOO much LEGO, sadly. One day...

My Flickr

SEK527
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by SEK527 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:33 am

I went to Brick Fest Live in NJ on 7/12/14 & I thought to was overpriced ($27). There were tons of vendors & some kid activities, but I went to see LEGO displays. The NJ & PA LUG Groups had great displays & there was another great display of about 50 ships, but that was it! I wouldn't go again.

JustBrickin
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by JustBrickin » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:18 am

SEK527 wrote:I went to Brick Fest Live in NJ on 7/12/14 & I thought to was overpriced ($27). There were tons of vendors & some kid activities, but I went to see LEGO displays. The NJ & PA LUG Groups had great displays & there was another great display of about 50 ships, but that was it! I wouldn't go again.
Only ships? Sounds dull. And what are at the vendors?

My Flickr

Brick & Blue
Count
Count

Post by Brick & Blue » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:10 pm

I went to the first ever Kidsfest in Hartford CT one a date. Only ones there without children and it was a zoo. However LEGO now fixed it to limit the time you can spend and has different times you can go.

SEK527
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by SEK527 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:35 pm

JustBrickin wrote:
SEK527 wrote:I went to Brick Fest Live in NJ on 7/12/14 & I thought to was overpriced ($27). There were tons of vendors & some kid activities, but I went to see LEGO displays. The NJ & PA LUG Groups had great displays & there was another great display of about 50 ships, but that was it! I wouldn't go again.
Only ships? Sounds dull. And what are at the vendors?

No, not just ships. The LEGO displays were all incredible. The NJ LUG & PA LUG put a lot of effort in their very large & detailed displays & they are very talented. A different group had the battleships & they were fantastic. I expected the entire event to be filled with such displays. Yes, I did get my photo taken with someone dressed in a Benny suit. Had I known I would have worn my LEGO Movie Benny T shirt instead of my Metalbeard T shirt. There were vendors selling current & retired sets, minifigs & misc. parts. There were also vendors selling custom minifigs & pieces. For $5 a ticket I would have been happy. At $27 a ticket it was a major disappointment.

JustBrickin
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by JustBrickin » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:40 pm

Is $27 a typical price? Aren't there any free ones?

My Flickr

Brick & Blue
Count
Count

Post by Brick & Blue » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:00 am

JustBrickin wrote:Is $27 a typical price? Aren't there any free ones?

The price depends on how much the hall is to rent, but I have never heard of any free ones. Nothing is free these days.

byroads73
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by byroads73 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:59 am

I went to the Seattle show last Oct and that was my first show. The admission was $10 and free for my son who was 4 at the time. That show had some impressive displays and tons of vendors. It was pretty packed. After that show is when my Lego interest got really ramped up, just seeing in person what people could do was quite inspiring.

I also went to a Tacoma show in the Spring. I seem to recall that one being in the $5-$8 in price range. They had a decent amount of displays. It was a small show, 1st annual for Tacoma. There were some good vendors there too, I ended up picking up quite a few reasonably priced mini-figs and parts. Since it was a smaller show I let my son walk around with his friends.

I plan on attending both again the future.

dr_spock
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dr_spock » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:42 am

I have been to BrickWorld and BrickFete as a regristrant. It is a different experience than going on the public days. You get to attend workshops, contests, win prizes, set unveilings, hang out with great builders, display your MOCs, answer the same public questions over and over. :-D

JustBrickin
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by JustBrickin » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:51 am

Can anyone display their MOCs? I'm sure there's like registration for this? Any fee?

My Flickr

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

Post by hatcher » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:03 pm

I was finally able to attend BrickFete in Toronto today (July 19) and I loved it. The displays blew me away. I took 170 pictures and would have taken more if my battery hadn't died in my camera. It was well worth the price of admission. If you are in the Toronto area its on again tomorrow. Check it out, you won't regret it.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

dr_spock
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dr_spock » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:51 pm

JustBrickin wrote:Can anyone display their MOCs? I'm sure there's like registration for this? Any fee?
Typically you have to be a full registrant to display your MOCs. As part of registration, you register your MOCs too so that the organizers can print MOC display cards for you, determine how much space you'll need, etc.
hatcher wrote:I was finally able to attend BrickFete in Toronto today (July 19) and I loved it. The displays blew me away. I took 170 pictures and would have taken more if my battery hadn't died in my camera. It was well worth the price of admission. If you are in the Toronto area its on again tomorrow. Check it out, you won't regret it.
Yup, it is only $10 CAD. I'll be there tomorrow in the Great Ball Contraption display. 10am to 3pm.

hatcher
Count
Count

Post by hatcher » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:50 am

My kids loved that great ball contraption. Kept making us go back to look at it. Very impressive.

leg0fan
I'm New !

Post by leg0fan » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:43 am

I have been going to the toy"r"us Lego events for years :cool:

dr_spock
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dr_spock » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:14 pm

hatcher wrote:My kids loved that great ball contraption. Kept making us go back to look at it. Very impressive.
Thanks. Sometimes I think I should have extra chairs for the parents to sit while their kids watch and watch and watch.... :lol:

Legoman83
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by Legoman83 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:41 pm

hatcher wrote:I was finally able to attend BrickFete in Toronto today (July 19) and I loved it. The displays blew me away. I took 170 pictures and would have taken more if my battery hadn't died in my camera. It was well worth the price of admission. If you are in the Toronto area its on again tomorrow. Check it out, you won't regret it.
My buddy that's works at the Lego store asked me if I went to that and I had no idea it was going on but I heard it was amazing! I will make sure I don't miss it next year!!! What was the cost to get in?

hatcher
Count
Count

Post by hatcher » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:51 am

Legoman83 wrote:
My buddy that's works at the Lego store asked me if I went to that and I had no idea it was going on but I heard it was amazing! I will make sure I don't miss it next year!!! What was the cost to get in?
It was $10 for adults and $5 for kids.