Do AFOLs Read LEGO Magazines a Lot?

The place for General LEGO Discussions such as the LEGO website, video games, movie, general LEGO inquries and everything else not included in our forums.
JustBrickin
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Do AFOLs Read LEGO Magazines a Lot?

Post by JustBrickin » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:13 am

Do AFOLs subscribe to the free LEGO club magazine? Read Brickjournal? The Brick Collectors?

I'm a TFOL and I read all of these and just wondering how popular these magazines are with AFOLs, especially LEGO Club Magazine.
Building LEGOs, one piece at a time...

My Flickr

StClair
Count
Count

Re: Do AFOLs Read LEGO Magazines a Lot?

Post by StClair » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:11 pm

I can't speak for all AFOLs. I do get the free LEGO club magazine. Actually its my son's but I look forward to looking through it for LEGO news and ideas also.

I don't subscribe to BrickJournal simply because I'm on a tight budget (spend money on magazine or buy more LEGO parts... )and can find lots of great LEGO ideas, interviews and news for free thanks to the internet (various sites ... mostly this one).

BrickJournal does look like a great one to subscribe to though.

JustBrickin
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by JustBrickin » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:25 pm

I don't subscribe to BrickJournal either. It's too expensive and some magazines have content I don't like (technic, LEGO League Teams, and minifig customization). I get the ones I like.

My Flickr

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Post by Mantisking » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:26 am

I think I've got one issue of Brickjournal. Other than that, I haven't had much interest in Lego magazines.

JustBrickin
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by JustBrickin » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:46 am

Mantisking wrote:I think I've got one issue of Brickjournal. Other than that, I haven't had much interest in Lego magazines.
I only have 4. I only get them at the LEGO store and they normally don't have them. :sad:

My Flickr

Slickson
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by Slickson » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:07 pm

I bought 6 issues of Brickjournal, mainly I bought it for the spread they did on motorizing the Lone Ranger Train set.

Sadly after I purchased the needed pieces from bricklink suggested by the magazine I was unable to build it according to the plans. The article said you could use either the rechargeable battery pack or the AA battery pack, but the AA pack is so much bigger I had to make a lot of modifications to get it to fit beyond the what was specified in the magazine ...

but overall some of the articles and MOCs that people have created were really cool to look at.

StClair
Count
Count

Post by StClair » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:52 pm

I just purchased my first BrickJournal. TwoMorrow's Publishing is having a sale on LEGO items until the end of the month.

All but the most recent issues of BrickJournal (back issues) are %50 off (makes them $4.48 each).

I ordered several and shipping was $4.13

Here is the link to TwoMorrows Publishing http://twomorrows.com/index.php?main_pa ... 20a&page=1

They also have a small micro space ship with 71 parts and instructions for 50% which would be $3.50. Thats 5 cents per piece. It does mention... "NOTE: This is not a LEGO® Product. These are re-used LEGO elements that have been repackaged or altered from their original form..."
http://twomorrows.com/index.php?main_pa ... ts_id=1042
I almost bought several to give out as gifts to guests at my son's upcoming bday part (I'm considering mixels instead though)

As I stated earlier this is my first time purchasing BrickJournal so I'm not sure how happy I will be with my purchase but I thinking they will make some fun casual reading for my son and I.

gopalkrishnan
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by gopalkrishnan » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:35 am

I too have this habit of reading lego club magazine. I don't say that I am a fan of these magazines but one in a while it is great to read. I am keen on reading Brick Collectors, I don't know how it will be.

Kainzzo
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Kainzzo » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:00 pm

It took me a minute to realize what AFOL stood for. That being said, I do get the free LEGO club magazine. It's fun to browse on or off the toilet (just being honest where I usually peruse it).

brickmont13
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by brickmont13 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:44 pm

Does anyone who has the Club Magazine not want the game code for Lego Minifigures Online from this months issue? Please PM. Thanks.

Neo
Knight
Knight

Post by Neo » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:57 pm

I do read the free Lego Club magazine to know a series' story line and assess a new series' play value. I've only bought and read a few Brickjournals. I tend to buy books because I often do a bit of research before a design and build -- I found a book's index or table of contents can be useful when researching - the last Lego book I bought was --Classroom Activities for the Busy Teacher: EV3 by Damien Kee because this year is my first year mentoring for the First Lego League. I tend to buy Lego books which support my research and those which are not likely to be bought by my local public library. I also recommend Lego books by Lauren Valk(Mindstorm) and Pawel "Sariel" Kmiec(Technic), too. For my Lego Train Club - I've bought non Lego books on Civil War Era Trains to help me recreate the look and feel of the military trains of that era. Unlike robotics, building Lego trains is really not covered in books - so I have to scrounge around for design and build ideas for Lego Trains. While I naturally build small MOCs which have less than 100 parts - I often get request to build larger (+500 parts/model) and complex builds (e.g. with functional requirements) - especially for Lego shows or tournament. I really like perusing over the DK Publishing Lego books when it comes to showing off all TLG official sets. For Moc design Daniel Lipkowitz's The Lego Ideas book is nice. The best first book to learn classic brick Technics is Lego Crazy Action Contraptions by Doug Stillinger/Klutz. The Technic book series by Yoshihito Isogawa is also a good reference collection.

Slickson
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by Slickson » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:34 am

Slickson wrote:I bought 6 issues of Brickjournal, mainly I bought it for the spread they did on motorizing the Lone Ranger Train set.

Sadly after I purchased the needed pieces from bricklink suggested by the magazine I was unable to build it according to the plans. The article said you could use either the rechargeable battery pack or the AA battery pack, but the AA pack is so much bigger I had to make a lot of modifications to get it to fit beyond the what was specified in the magazine ...

but overall some of the articles and MOCs that people have created were really cool to look at.

HAHAHA .... I did the exact same thing ... even the part with the IR receiver was incorrect. I eventually got it to work. I bought a second train set when they were 50% off, I am eventually going to try and merge the two part sets to make one train and motorize the Steam engine instead of one of the cars. The train seems to run better when the first train is doing the pulling versus one in the middle doing the pushing.