Moving to a new house

The place for General LEGO Discussions such as the LEGO website, video games, movie, general LEGO inquries and everything else not included in our forums.
jessica52877
Peasant
Peasant

Moving to a new house

Post by jessica52877 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:32 pm

I am looking to move within the next 6 months. I can't quite figure out the best way to move legos. This would be about a 10 hour move with lots of huge legos (creator green grocer, fire station, etc). And of course lots of smaller ones too. Do I just tear them all apart to save room on the moving truck?

Anyone ever moved a collection before?

Zeya
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Re: Moving to a new house

Post by Zeya » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:11 pm

I moved recently. For the large modulars I had success by first hiding all minifigs and protruding or loose parts inside the building and then I wrapped it with that plastic moving wrap. Keeps them all one piece. I made special trips with this stuff and had it on car seats with seat belts for protection lol. I was only moving 10 minutes away though.

For other stuff I keep it pretty organized in containers so it wasn't too bad.

Oh for some stuff like winter village I did my best and stacked it carefully in plastic bins with mini figs etc tucked inside the building. Wasn't too bad like that. A couple chimneys and lanterns came loose but no big deal.

You could completely dismantle if you want but you don't have to.

General packing advice: locate boxes months in advance. You'll need about 4x what you think you do. Towels and rags for buffering and protection. And that plastic wrap stuff is great.

Brick & Blue
Count
Count

Post by Brick & Blue » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:14 pm

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Rubbermaid-18 ... 2/16539917

;)

I say break them down a little bit and wrap them in plastic wrap.

Neo
Knight
Knight

Post by Neo » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:29 pm

jessica52877 wrote:I am looking to move within the next 6 months. I can't quite figure out the best way to move legos. This would be about a 10 hour move with lots of huge legos (creator green grocer, fire station, etc). And of course lots of smaller ones too. Do I just tear them all apart to save room on the moving truck?

Anyone ever moved a collection before?
To move an a Lego creation - I put it into a plastic bag so if it breaks - all the parts needed to rebuild it are in the plastic bags.

jessica52877
Peasant
Peasant

Post by jessica52877 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:39 pm

Thank you for the thoughts. I wish I was only moving 10 minutes away to make it easier to deal with the legos. I'll take all the thoughts into account. I would rather leave them built, I'm sure it is just unrealistic in my case to even think about that with the room it would take up.

Thank you also for the box advice. I already feel like I need a million, guessing I'll need 4 million now!

yeti79
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by yeti79 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:15 am

Doing the same myself here is a pic of what I did along with comment detail http://www.reddit.com/r/lego/comments/2 ... y_to_move/