Lego mosaic software

The place for General LEGO Discussions such as the LEGO website, video games, movie, general LEGO inquries and everything else not included in our forums.
earl9371
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Lego mosaic software

Post by earl9371 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:44 am

I'm hoping to build an approximately 4 foot by 4 foot mosaic of the Lego logo. I've been looking for a solid, easy-to-use mosaic-creating software but have had no luck. PicToBrick looks like it would be good, but the tutorial is really poor and I have had a difficult (actually impossible) time working through the interface. I have Photobricks loaded on my iPhone, but I can't see where it would give me any directions to use when building the piece. Are you aware of any other ways I could complete this project, and if not, have you seen any PicToBrick tutorials that are understandable to someone who doesn't have a computer science degree? Any other insights on how to complete this project would be really appreciated - thanks in advance for your help!

Ben
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Re: Lego mosaic software

Post by Ben » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:29 pm

Here are a couple of images that are each 144 x 144 pixels. If you use 1 pixel equals 1 stud then that will come out to 45 inches by 45 inches. This version of the logo only makes use of red, black, yellow and white bricks:
LegoLogo_FourColors.png
This version of the logo uses a lot more colors -- light grey, dark grey, sand green, earth green, reddish brown, orange, yellowish green, etc. At a distance it will probably look better than the 4 color version.
LegoLogo_ManyColors.png
You should be able to build either of these fairly easily if you have an image viewer that will zoom in a long way on the images (and ideally put a grid over the image once you get zoomed in far enough so that it is easy to count the pixels).

Ben
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

earl9371
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by earl9371 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:37 pm

Ben wrote:Here are a couple of images that are each 144 x 144 pixels. If you use 1 pixel equals 1 stud then that will come out to 45 inches by 45 inches.

Ben
This is really helpful, Ben - thanks so much!

Ben
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by Ben » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:00 pm

No problem. Let me know if you need them generated again at a different size or with some uncommon colors removed. Unfortunately the software that I'm using also falls into the category of needing a computer science degree to use as it's something that I hacked together for myself and is not intended for public release.

Ben