How much space do you have?

The place for General LEGO Discussions such as the LEGO website, video games, movie, general LEGO inquries and everything else not included in our forums.
swfan
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Where do you store your lego ?

Post by swfan » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:22 pm

So heres the thing, do you have a room decidated to lego? Or you only have a display storage? For me i only have a little shelve to keep all my lego collection and i always frequently run out of space.

Also, Do you disassmble the sets and put it into storage if you don't have enough space or do you just sell it?

City_collector2009
I'm New !

Re: Where do you store your lego ?

Post by City_collector2009 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:50 am

i keep my Lego in a basement studio set up full time, i collect each set in the city theme and have display set up featuing three area's: Lego island , Lego City and a Rural farming community legoton

darknight
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by darknight » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:30 pm

I usually sell off old lego sets to get some $ for new sets cause i dont' have a lot of room.

Brickbuilder0937
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by Brickbuilder0937 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:07 pm

I have a LEGO room, though not a very big one. The topmost shelves I use for displaying sets and MOCs. When I run out of shelf space I disassemble the older, or partially destroyed sets, into boxes to eventually be sorted. I've never had to sell any of my collection, and I hope I never have to.

funnypeople
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by funnypeople » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:53 pm

Brickbuilder0937 wrote:I have a LEGO room, though not a very big one. The topmost shelves I use for displaying sets and MOCs. When I run out of shelf space I disassemble the older, or partially destroyed sets, into boxes to eventually be sorted. I've never had to sell any of my collection, and I hope I never have to.
Pretty much same idea here except I only sell when new versions of that set is going to be released soon.

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

Post by hatcher » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:14 am

I got lucky when we bought our house. The previous owner had built 3 extra bedrooms in the basement, and since we didn't need any of them for bedrooms, I got to use one as my "office". Its pretty much full of lego now, barely room for anything else.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

swfan
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by swfan » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:56 pm

hatcher wrote:I got lucky when we bought our house. The previous owner had built 3 extra bedrooms in the basement, and since we didn't need any of them for bedrooms, I got to use one as my "office". Its pretty much full of lego now, barely room for anything else.
You are very lucky.. i only have this little shelve and i need more space or i'll have to start disassembling sets or selling my collectoin :(

starwarsgeek
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by starwarsgeek » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:08 pm

I got a lego room to store all the differnet star wars models i have.

And this is what i have to do when i run out of space like brickbuilder.
Brickbuilder0937 wrote:When I run out of shelf space I disassemble the older, or partially destroyed sets, into boxes to eventually be sorted

gamermic
I'm New !

Post by gamermic » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:00 am

Right now, my stuff are still kept in boxes, until my new house is ready.
Targeting to place them in a nice display cabinet when the new house is ready :)

haha!
"If there's a will, there's a way!"

polywen
I'm New !

Post by polywen » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:28 pm

In a corner in our living room, we have an entire bookshelf dedicated to sorted tubs of Lego. We don't really keep sets together for display.

Transformers2
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Transformers2 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:06 pm

I do not have any places to put my Lego so they are just on tables and on the ground. Is there some sort of product other than a vacuum cleaner that works really well on cleaning dust off of Lego sets? (lots of buildup of dust on my lego's)

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:00 pm

Transformers2 wrote:I do not have any places to put my Lego so they are just on tables and on the ground. Is there some sort of product other than a vacuum cleaner that works really well on cleaning dust off of Lego sets? (lots of buildup of dust on my lego's)
Fill a tub with water, dunk em and let them dry. It's really your best option. If you really want to store your LEGO bricks in a place where they wont get dusty then I suggest investing in some cheap plastic drawers, ones that are able to be stacked most definitely. You should also get some bead containers for the smaller pieces.

If you want plastic bins cheaper than Walmart I suggest Big Lots if you have one of those near you. As for the bead containers Michael's has some for $2 a pop. I've got like 10 of them right now for all sorts of stuff. They aren't the nicest bead containers but they get the job done.
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

Transformers2
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Transformers2 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:36 pm

legitimatealex wrote:
Transformers2 wrote:I do not have any places to put my Lego so they are just on tables and on the ground. Is there some sort of product other than a vacuum cleaner that works really well on cleaning dust off of Lego sets? (lots of buildup of dust on my lego's)
Fill a tub with water, dunk em and let them dry. It's really your best option. If you really want to store your LEGO bricks in a place where they wont get dusty then I suggest investing in some cheap plastic drawers, ones that are able to be stacked most definitely. You should also get some bead containers for the smaller pieces.

If you want plastic bins cheaper than Walmart I suggest Big Lots if you have one of those near you. As for the bead containers Michael's has some for $2 a pop. I've got like 10 of them right now for all sorts of stuff. They aren't the nicest bead containers but they get the job done.
Thanks for the advice but for the bins tip, it would not work for multiple sets. Its good for storing random assortment of pieces but not for sets.

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:03 am

Ahh well in that case head on down to an Ikea and buy the cheapest assortment of Swedish shelves you can find :P

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:08 pm

I don't have a huge house, so I don't yet have a LEGO room/man cave. Therefore my solution needs to be more portable. I currently have two of these:
92-976_lg.jpeg
I got them at Home Depot, but I found the image at www.coastaltool.com

That said, they're rather bulky, so I want to get a few of these:
Plano Molding 5231 Double Cover Stow N Go Organizer, Porche Red.jpeg
You can get them at Amazon.com, currently for $11.58/each.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

sweener
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by sweener » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:39 pm

Akro-Mils 24-Drawer

Menards which is a home improvement store sells these for $17 and some change. I like the Akro-Mils better than the Stack-On brand I've run across at Lowes and Wal-mart. The mark in the middle of the trays is for dividers to be inserted length wise so you can still see the contents on both sides from the front. The also have marks at the top and bottom so they will stack nicely and not slide around.

DrBeaker
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by DrBeaker » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:47 pm

I am curious as to what various members use for displaying their minifig collections. I've tried various clear plastic solutions, mostly designed for models/baseballs/figurines with limited success. The best ones are stackable, but require me to glue in some kind of studs or mounting for the minifigs to stand on.

Are there any LEGO-specific display solutions specifically for minifigures?

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:11 pm

DrBeaker wrote:I am curious as to what various members use for displaying their minifig collections. I've tried various clear plastic solutions, mostly designed for models/baseballs/figurines with limited success. The best ones are stackable, but require me to glue in some kind of studs or mounting for the minifigs to stand on.

Are there any LEGO-specific display solutions specifically for minifigures?
First off welcome, this is your first post.

Second, display? My minifigs are crammed into a drawer. All 178 of em.

dr_spock
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dr_spock » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:41 pm

I use a bunch of rubber maid storage containers with locking lids for loose pieces. I switched to locking lids after an accident with non-locking lids.

smilyremhof
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by smilyremhof » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:07 pm

"Santa" built our boys a lego table for Christmas 2 years ago and the rest go into some carriers similar to the pictures above.
table.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.