LEGO Movie Sequel

The place for General LEGO Discussions such as the LEGO website, video games, movie, general LEGO inquries and everything else not included in our forums.
Post Reply
BeMild
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen
Posts: 52
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 9:49 am
Location: California

LEGO Movie Sequel

Post by BeMild » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:10 pm

According to Variety and Warner Bros. the LEGO sequel is set for May 26, 2017.

With “The Lego Movie” topping $200 million in worldwide grosses, Warner Bros. has set the sequel to open on May 26, 2017.

The untitled sequel is the first movie to be be set for that date. Warner Bros. confirmed four days before the film opened on Feb. 7 that it had tapped screenwriters Jared Stern and Michelle Morgan to write the script for the sequel.

“The Lego Movie” is poised to win its third straight weekend at the U.S. box office, where it has grossed $151 million in its first two weeks. The computer-animated comedy has taken in another $52 million in 42 international markets and is adding France and Italy this weekend, followed by Russia on Feb. 27, Japan on March 21, Australia on April 3 and Germany on April 10.


http://variety.com/2014/film/news/lego- ... 201115576/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Brick & Blue
Count
Count
Posts: 2212
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:59 pm
Location: USA

Re: LEGO Movie Sequel

Post by Brick & Blue » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:46 am

Odd, I'd figured they would try for a 2016 release.

However May is a really dumb time to release it.

shaggy.lego
I'm New !
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:33 pm
Location: Hagerstown, MD USA

Re: LEGO Movie Sequel

Post by shaggy.lego » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:22 am

May 26th is my birthday :)

gschubert
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:11 am
Location: Bricksburgh

Re: LEGO Movie Sequel

Post by gschubert » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:53 am

Awesome!

Drocket
I'm New !
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:13 am
Location: Ohio

Re: LEGO Movie Sequel

Post by Drocket » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:02 pm

Brick & Blue wrote:However May is a really dumb time to release it.
I dunno, its better than February. February is traditionally where bad movies to go to die. When I originally heard about the Lego movie, just the fact that it was opening in February made me write it off as a kiddie bit of crap that the studio was shuffling off to the mid-winter graveyard. May isn't exactly blockbuster season, but its definitely a step up.

User avatar
vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator
Posts: 3403
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:38 am
Location: Beacon, NY

Re: LEGO Movie Sequel

Post by vynsane » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:05 pm

Brick & Blue wrote:However May is a really dumb time to release it.
Why? May has been particularly good for Marvel movies, seeing as how the vast majority of their movies have been released in May including Spider-man, X-Men 2, X-Men 3, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, The Avengers, Iron Man 3 with Amazing Spider-man 2 and X-Men: Days of Future Past coming out this May and Avengers: Age of Ultron and Amazing Spider-man 4 having been slated for future May 2015 and 2018 respectively.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

toyz4me
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:28 am

Re: LEGO Movie Sequel

Post by toyz4me » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:41 pm

Lego is also more confident now. With this first movie I'm sure deep down there were reservations on how it would do. Lego fans love it sure, but everyone else was a unknown.

My kids and I will be there for Lego II ))

Brick & Blue
Count
Count
Posts: 2212
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:59 pm
Location: USA

Re: LEGO Movie Sequel

Post by Brick & Blue » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:57 pm

Drocket wrote:
Brick & Blue wrote:However May is a really dumb time to release it.
I dunno, its better than February. February is traditionally where bad movies to go to die. When I originally heard about the Lego movie, just the fact that it was opening in February made me write it off as a kiddie bit of crap that the studio was shuffling off to the mid-winter graveyard. May isn't exactly blockbuster season, but its definitely a step up.
Exactly, and because of that The LEGO Movie will be number 1 for at least three weeks. If the released it in May the movie would have been pushed aside by huge block buster movies.

I don't see it making 200 million in three weeks being released in the summer season. I'd stick to the February release with school vacation week and fake holidays.

Drocket
I'm New !
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:13 am
Location: Ohio

Re: LEGO Movie Sequel

Post by Drocket » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:20 pm

Brick & Blue wrote:
Drocket wrote:Exactly, and because of that The LEGO Movie will be number 1 for at least three weeks. If the released it in May the movie would have been pushed aside by huge block buster movies.
It still won't be competing against top-tier blockbusters in May - those generally don't hit until late June/early July. What it boils down to, though, is that even though it won't be #1 for 3 weeks, it WILL still make more money. I mean, after 3 weeks at #1, its only made $150M. That's big numbers for February, but for the movie industry overall, that's pretty unimpressive. A May release would have almost certainly made twice that, even if the movie did drop off the radar after the first week.

A "meh" summer release can easily make more money than a February blockbuster. Its just how the movie industry is.

User avatar
The-Daryl
Knight
Knight
Posts: 417
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:01 am
Location: Arizona, USA

Re: LEGO Movie Sequel

Post by The-Daryl » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:49 pm

Not to mention, the movie itself (from a business standpoint) is just a huge commercial for all the sets and minifigures they'll produce and market along with it.

I don't know about everyone else but I've spent a lot of time in toy departments these last few weeks (first to look for the clearance stuff, then to hunt down the new sets) the Movie sets are nearly gone EVERYWHERE. I mean shelf space and end cap displays for the entire line, with maybe 1 or 2 boxes left of 2 of the sets with everything else bare! Granted, that's a limited market, and anecdotal but it's seems pretty successful.

And aiming for 2017 let's them have a healthy run for this line and plenty of time to plan the next one :)

I think it's great. Fans get great entertainment and some fun sets, they basically print money hehe.

Brick & Blue
Count
Count
Posts: 2212
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:59 pm
Location: USA

Re: LEGO Movie Sequel

Post by Brick & Blue » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:32 am

Drocket wrote:
Brick & Blue wrote:
Drocket wrote:Exactly, and because of that The LEGO Movie will be number 1 for at least three weeks. If the released it in May the movie would have been pushed aside by huge block buster movies.
It still won't be competing against top-tier blockbusters in May - those generally don't hit until late June/early July. What it boils down to, though, is that even though it won't be #1 for 3 weeks, it WILL still make more money. I mean, after 3 weeks at #1, its only made $150M. That's big numbers for February, but for the movie industry overall, that's pretty unimpressive. A May release would have almost certainly made twice that, even if the movie did drop off the radar after the first week.

A "meh" summer release can easily make more money than a February blockbuster. Its just how the movie industry is.

You aren't a big movie fan are you? Memorial Day weekend is a MASSIVE holiday for movies. From May to July are when all the big movies come out for the summer. Sticking it in that I think is a mistake. The movie got more free press when it became the biggest or one of the biggest opening weekend movies ever for February. $69 million is no where near the biggest opening for a May, not by a hundred million dollars.

I think WB is getting greedy and they will pay for that.

Drocket
I'm New !
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:13 am
Location: Ohio

Re: LEGO Movie Sequel

Post by Drocket » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:55 pm

Forgot that it was Memorial day weekend - you're right, that does make a difference. And you're right, $69 million isn't impressive for a Memorial day opening. But that's my point - it won't make $69 million. Just by virtue of opening at a better time of year, it'll make $100 million+ in its opening week. And that'll be a disappointing opening, probably not enough to get it to number 1 for even a single week. But it'll still be more money overall.

Basically, by opening in February, they were the big fish in a small pond, making $150M by being #1 for 3 weeks. Good for February, but fairly crap overall. If they'd opened in May this year, they might not have made #1 even a single time - but they'd have made at least $200M. Small fish in a big pond is still bigger than big fish in a small pond.

User avatar
Buttmunch
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen
Posts: 173
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:39 pm
Location: Utah

Re: LEGO Movie Sequel

Post by Buttmunch » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:22 pm

Brick & Blue wrote:Odd, I'd figured they would try for a 2016 release.

However May is a really dumb time to release it.
Do you know how long stop motion animation takes? Its a VERY slow process. They can't do things as quickly as crappy CGI cartoon movie. 2017 is really quick for a stop motion sequel.

User avatar
vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator
Posts: 3403
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:38 am
Location: Beacon, NY

Re: LEGO Movie Sequel

Post by vynsane » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:27 pm

Drocket wrote:Basically, by opening in February, they were the big fish in a small pond, making $150M by being #1 for 3 weeks. Good for February, but fairly crap overall. If they'd opened in May this year, they might not have made #1 even a single time - but they'd have made at least $200M. Small fish in a big pond is still bigger than big fish in a small pond.
Yeah, but they knew that and being #1 for three weeks running sounds more impressive overall. Not to mention, the movie seems to have legs and could stretch their streak out over more weeks than they could have in May. The second one being a sequel to a movie that did well will probably manage to eke out a stronger opening in May riding the coattails of the love for the first installment.

Basically, the February opening was a smart move because it was an unproven market. Pitting it against almost nothing meant it could flourish without much competition. They've set the sequel for May now that it has proof of marketability.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

Brick & Blue
Count
Count
Posts: 2212
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:59 pm
Location: USA

Re: LEGO Movie Sequel

Post by Brick & Blue » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:24 pm

vynsane wrote:
Basically, the February opening was a smart move because it was an unproven market. Pitting it against almost nothing meant it could flourish without much competition. They've set the sequel for May now that it has proof of marketability.
And this where I don't think you understand what I'm saying. They didn't prove anything, there is nothing else to see right now, more so for families. They proved it can make money in an empty boring stretch of a movie calendar. They haven't proven it can make money on one of the biggest movie weekends of the year. Doubt it will even open at number 1. And a Pixar movie opens 2-3 weeks later which will take the family crowd away.

User avatar
dr_spock
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian
Posts: 722
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:16 am

Re: LEGO Movie Sequel

Post by dr_spock » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:43 pm

I wonder what the story will be.

User avatar
vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator
Posts: 3403
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:38 am
Location: Beacon, NY

Re: LEGO Movie Sequel

Post by vynsane » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:57 pm

Brick & Blue wrote:And this where I don't think you understand what I'm saying. They didn't prove anything, there is nothing else to see right now, more so for families.
No, I get what you're saying, I just disagree. I'm saying they had relatively little idea how it was going to perform, so they put it out in a slow season to see if it had a market, and would have been happy with a standard February-release performance. Since it's blown everything else away for three straight weeks, it's obvious that it does have a market. I'd say that's going from unproven to proven. Hence the green-light for a sequel.

True, there's little to no other new movies out for families, but that doesn't mean they will team out to the theaters for just anything. Obviously this movie was enticing to families as well as adults otherwise it wouldn't be doing as well.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

User avatar
The-Daryl
Knight
Knight
Posts: 417
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:01 am
Location: Arizona, USA

Re: LEGO Movie Sequel

Post by The-Daryl » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:41 pm

dr_spock wrote:I wonder what the story will be.
The main character will be older and into Technic and Creator now and his kid sister will be annoying him with her Friends stuff!


Yeah. I just made that up :-)

toyz4me
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:28 am

Re: LEGO Movie Sequel

Post by toyz4me » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:23 pm

dr_spock wrote:I wonder what the story will be.
The RISE of Duplo! :lol:

Brick & Blue
Count
Count
Posts: 2212
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:59 pm
Location: USA

Re: LEGO Movie Sequel

Post by Brick & Blue » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:10 pm

vynsane wrote:
Brick & Blue wrote:And this where I don't think you understand what I'm saying. They didn't prove anything, there is nothing else to see right now, more so for families.
No, I get what you're saying, I just disagree. I'm saying they had relatively little idea how it was going to perform, so they put it out in a slow season to see if it had a market, and would have been happy with a standard February-release performance. Since it's blown everything else away for three straight weeks, it's obvious that it does have a market. I'd say that's going from unproven to proven. Hence the green-light for a sequel.

True, there's little to no other new movies out for families, but that doesn't mean they will team out to the theaters for just anything. Obviously this movie was enticing to families as well as adults otherwise it wouldn't be doing as well.
Of course it was going to get a sequel, the movie is making tons of money, but there is still NOTHING else coming out. The sequel will do well, but I don't think it will do nearly as well in the summer because of the fact there will be other movies to see.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 15 guests