Over-detailed Minifigures

The place for General LEGO Discussions such as the LEGO website, video games, movie, general LEGO inquries and everything else not included in our forums.
Francfurters
Peasant
Peasant

Over-detailed Minifigures

Post by Francfurters » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:27 pm

I'm starting to dislike how Lego excessive the details in Lego minifigures, mainly talking about Lego Star Wars minifigures. I prefer the minifigures back then with simple printed torsos that only had front detailing, and plain faces especially without the white pupils.

I see that the new 2014 Lego Star Wars simples, they overuse the wrinkle detailing in the minifigure's faces and even the clothing. Even look at the new 2014 Han Solo. IMO it looks disgusting and I completely dislike the cheeckbones they added to every minifigure. I completely do not like over-detailing and I think they should return to the more simplistic designs.

Wouldn't be surprised if they added a nose to Luke Skywalker by the time it's 2015...

Brick & Blue
Count
Count

Re: Over-detailed Minifigures

Post by Brick & Blue » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:12 pm

I agree!!!

People have been talking about how the movie sets are detailed and not. I think they look amazing.

The second year of Atlantis with the yellow uniforms looked like Aquazone with more detail, bit not so much detail it's annoying like the first year.

I wish that LEGO would make the action themes less detailed and the license thees detailed to match the characters.

lego the hutt
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by lego the hutt » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:44 pm

Francfurters wrote:I'm starting to dislike how Lego excessive the details in Lego minifigures, mainly talking about Lego Star Wars minifigures. I prefer the minifigures back then with simple printed torsos that only had front detailing, and plain faces especially without the white pupils.

I see that the new 2014 Lego Star Wars simples, they overuse the wrinkle detailing in the minifigure's faces and even the clothing. Even look at the new 2014 Han Solo. IMO it looks disgusting and I completely dislike the cheeckbones they added to every minifigure. I completely do not like over-detailing and I think they should return to the more simplistic designs.

Wouldn't be surprised if they added a nose to Luke Skywalker by the time it's 2015...
I completely disagree. I appreciate the higher level of detail Lego has been putting into their product in recent years. One only has to look at sets from 5-10 years ago to see just how much better of a product Lego has been producing. I appreciate back,side and leg printing. I appreciate more detailed faces. I can understand not liking the cheekbones if you want to nit pick about an extra couple lines. But to only want printing on the front of the torso I can't comprehend. I know I'm stating the obvious but, doing things like adding back printing costs extra money to produce. Most people think it improves the figure.

Since you used star wars as an example here are a few comparisons of newer figures vs their previous design.

Newer version vs the most recent version

ImageImage
new version vs the most recent version

Because you mentioned not liking the white being added to the pupils of minifigs in recent years, here are 2 pretty much identical Alec Guinness Obiwan figures with the only difference being the white pupils and a barely noticeable extra wrinkle.

vs

I think it's pretty amazing how adding such a tiny dot of white to the eye gives a much better overall appearance to the face, but I guess others opinions differ. The Obiwan in the lower picture just has a blank stare from my point of view.

A couple more, somewhat extreme examples of added detail compared to the older version:
ImageImage
vs

2013 Wicket
vs 2009 version
vs 2002 version

I feel like, if someone is judging them impartially, it is clear that the more detailed figures are much better. Is it that the more plain minifigures have sentimental value because you remember figures that were similar from childhood? I have certain figures that I think back fondly of from the 70's and 80's but looking at it objectively I just don't understand that point of view.

Maybe you could better explain why you prefer only front of torso printing and less detail so I could understand where you are coming from?

legohunter
Count
Count

Post by legohunter » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:27 pm

I prefer the fine print of the minifig which makes it looking more alike to the characters. Nowaday, minifigs do drive the sale on most of the new SW sets. If new design minifigs were same as old time, what's the incentive to make the fans buying re-release sets?

I put all the old design SW minifig in my storage, and kept the new one for display. Isn't the new Boba Fett minfig from desert skiff set looking awesome, is it?

yeti79
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by yeti79 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:46 am

I like how they detail most of the minifigure. However I do not like when they have details such as grease, sweat, oil ect. I don't like having many of the same figure so I switch their parts around and it is like you have a totally new figure instead of a few of the same one.