Are Americans near a Canadian bordering buying up Lego?

This is the LEGO Sales Forum for members from Canada and Europe.
rich sandor
I'm New !

Are Americans near a Canadian bordering buying up Lego?

Post by rich sandor » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:38 pm

Im only wondering because many of the walmarts and toyrus here in Vancouver have seriously BARE Lego sections. And the sales have been crappy compared to the last few years!

Poe's Xwing MSRP
@Toysrus.ca $99.99CDN (~$70USD)
@Toysrus.com $84.99USD

Im curious if its xborder shopping due to exchange rate or if we arent getting as much as last year.

ricefields
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Re: Are Americans near a Canadian bordering buying up Lego?

Post by ricefields » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:33 pm

I don't think that is happening. shelves are bare at certain walmarts and toysrus stores in Toronto area too.
Some toysrus and walmart stores have more stock than others, just a matter of which stores were frequented by holiday/Christmas shoppers the most when they buying presents and which stores can get their resupply. Even the lego stores themselves had bare shelves post in early jan, now they have most sets back in stock.

Elkkthunder
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Elkkthunder » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:10 am

I did pre christmas
However with travel, tolls, gas there is more added to the cost

winbrant
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by winbrant » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:50 am

Local WalMart informed me they are doing clearances now to make room for the re-set next month with new product. TRU near me finished post-Xmas inventory are are expecting re-stock soon.

I had heard/read that some exclusives and higher-priced items from LEGO brick and morter stores in Canada might be frequented by US citizens taking advantage of our weak dollar. For example, MSRP CDN$400 Ghostbusters is US$280, where MSRP on US S@H is US$350...a US$70 savings. Depending on the aforementioned travel (tolls, gas, accomodation) some may take advantage of this.

luca1980
Peasant
Peasant

Post by luca1980 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:23 am

Even if they do, i dont see the problem.
You guys take refugees is, americans buying lego are less dangerous....

winbrant
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by winbrant » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:05 am

luca1980 wrote:Even if they do, i dont see the problem.
You guys take refugees is, americans buying lego are less dangerous....
Not saying it's a problem...just an observation. No different than us Canadians going shopping in the US when our dollar was stronger...goes both ways. Whatever deal we can get, right? Not like LEGO is getting any lower despite dropping crude costs. :roll:

Blacknight
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Blacknight » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:44 am

winbrant wrote:Local WalMart informed me they are doing clearances now to make room for the re-set next month with new product. TRU near me finished post-Xmas inventory are are expecting re-stock soon.

I had heard/read that some exclusives and higher-priced items from LEGO brick and morter stores in Canada might be frequented by US citizens taking advantage of our weak dollar. For example, MSRP CDN$400 Ghostbusters is US$280, where MSRP on US S@H is US$350...a US$70 savings. Depending on the aforementioned travel (tolls, gas, accomodation) some may take advantage of this.
Don't forget the Americans still have to pay our sales tax as well. Which is another reason we should be welcoming them, our governments need every penny they can get.