New Feature: Thank Others for Posting (BETA)

Code of Conduct, Privacy Policy, Announcements. Got a suggestion to our site? Let us hear it!

Where do you want the "Thank Others for Posting Feature"?

Everywhere in the Forums
76%
Sales & Deals Forums
18%
Selected Forums
6%

Total votes: 17

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

New Feature: Thank Others for Posting (BETA)

Post by Ice » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:18 pm

So you may all have noticed a new feature in the forums and you can all thank Orangechef for that. Its a pretty neat feature that allows people to thank others for posting.
Toplist & Gratitudes
At the top right hand corner on every page in the forums, you should see 2 new buttons. The toplist gives you the most "thanked" topics, posts, and forums. The gratitudes button shows you the users that have thanked others and those users that received thanks.

Thanking Others
When you see something useful or helpful, you can thank that person. In every post, you should see a "thumbs up" icon next to the quote button. Clicking on that will give "thanks" to the author of the post. Its that simple and easy!

Ratings
These are calculated based on the amount of "thanks" compared to other forums, topics, and posts.

Notifications
I have fixed the PM/Email function. By default, you will no longer receive a PM/Email whenever someone has thanked you. If you want to receive PM/Email on this, you will need to enable it in the User Control Panel. Go to Board Preferences and select yes to receive notifications that someone thanked you by PM/Email.
We would like to know where people want the "Thanks Feature" to be at. Do you want it enabled in the entire forum? Only in the Sales & Deals Forum? Selected forums? Please cast in your votes!

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Re: New Feature: Thank Others for Posting (BETA)

Post by vynsane » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:33 am

I don't see any reason to not have it available site-wide.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

legohunter
Count
Count

Post by legohunter » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:40 am

I agree to add this feature to everywhere. We never know what we are going to thank for. For example, how could I give a thumb up for the person who did a review for brick seperator, if this feature only available from sales and deals page.

lukeskywalker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by lukeskywalker » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:06 am

legohunter wrote:I agree to add this feature to everywhere. We never know what we are going to thank for. For example, how could I give a thumb up for the person who did a review for brick seperator, if this feature only available from sales and deals page.
Right, I want to be able to thank people who put a lot of effort into a post.(reviews,introductory stuff like vynsanes steampunk thread)

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

Post by hatcher » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:04 am

Ok, here comes the dumb question. Why can I not see this thumbs up icon anywhere? Am I just going blind or what? I only see the quote button and the report this post buttons. Is it only in certain forums right now or what? Sorry if this is in fact a dumb question, but I think this is cool idea and there are a lot of posts out there that I would love to thank if I could just figure out what I'm missing here.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Post by Mantisking » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:22 am

It seems like a decent feature, although the format needs to change a little. Currently it's like this.
For this post the author Orangechef thanked:
vynsane Rating: 100%
And it should look more like this.
For this post vynsane thanked the author Orangechef. Rating: 100%.
Other than that I don't think I have any problems with it.

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:10 am

I think the feature would work forum-wide. If I ask a question, it would be nice to thank folks for providing answers. It sort of depends how cumbersome the "thanks" will be at the bottom, is it going to list everyone? That could get excessive (like the "who's viewing" lists).

I think it would be used most in S&D and it is a nice way for people to give thanks to those who post something useful.

gabriellee11
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by gabriellee11 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:13 pm

hatcher wrote:Ok, here comes the dumb question. Why can I not see this thumbs up icon anywhere? Am I just going blind or what? I only see the quote button and the report this post buttons. Is it only in certain forums right now or what? Sorry if this is in fact a dumb question, but I think this is cool idea and there are a lot of posts out there that I would love to thank if I could just figure out what I'm missing here.
I am in the exact situation as you...I only see the quote button and the report button...can someone maybe post a screenshot of what it should look like?

Update: Never mind I see it now.

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

Post by hatcher » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:17 pm

Ah, there it is. I am sure that was not there before. Weird.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

slacker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by slacker » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:11 am

I must have a brain fart here. How do I thank someone? I'm looking everywhere here. Am I missing something here?

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:17 am

slacker wrote:I must have a brain fart here. How do I thank someone? I'm looking everywhere here. Am I missing something here?
Thumbs up icon
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

slacker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by slacker » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:50 am

ncbarrett wrote:
slacker wrote:I must have a brain fart here. How do I thank someone? I'm looking everywhere here. Am I missing something here?
Thumbs up icon
Duh! :oops: I knew it was in front of my face. Thanks