[Site News] All New Look for Home Page

Code of Conduct, Privacy Policy, Announcements. Got a suggestion to our site? Let us hear it!

Do you like the new upgrade for the site?

Yes
No votes
No
100%

Total votes: 6

Toys N Bricks
Administrator
Administrator

[Site News] All New Look for Home Page

Post by Toys N Bricks » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:58 pm

We've changed and upgraded Toys N Bricks' Home Page with a brand new look! One of the newest additions is the "featured article" slider that provides a quick summary relating to the post. Another cool feature is the "Share" button located below each post. You can then easily share the news on other social web services like FaceBook and Twitter.

Because of this, the home page (not the forums) will be a bit slower than before. Would you rather give up the new features for speed? Please let us know what you think of it and be sure to vote whether you like this new change!

Permalink: http://toysnbricks.com/blog/site-news-a ... -home-page
Toys N Bricks
A LEGO Fan Community. Like us on FaceBook and follow us on Twitter!

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Re: [Site News] All New Look for Home Page

Post by Legobrandon » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:09 pm

It looks great, but for me personaly, I liked the old home screen better.

hmillington
I'm New !

Post by hmillington » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:23 pm

Well since you asked...

Actually I liked the old one, but then I have the same sort of comment whenever I try and change Brickset's design...

Personally I think the header is far too high and doesn't leave much else 'above the fold'. At least the (I hope you don't mind me saying) amaterish logo is not so prominent now. You could probably dispense with the wavy blue bit altogether and put the site name and strapline in next to, or instead of, the RSS logo, which is far too prominent where it is, where people expect to see a site logo.

THhre should be a 'home' in the menu. I know the banner links there but not everyone will know that. 'Catergories' in the menu is not spelt correctly and I don't think the grammar of 'A LEGO Community with coverage on LEGO News, Sales & Deals, MOCs, and Reviews.' is quite right and doesn't really describe what the site is. 'coverage of' would be better but I'm not sure the sentence would make sense or capture the essence of the site even then. How about 'Toys and Bricks: LEGO news and reviews and a vibrant online community'

The 'scrolling articles' at the top are nice, but I think their design needs to stand out a bit more so that area doesn't look the same as the articles beneath it.

I don't like the black bar under the menu, it seems to split the page in two and makes the top disconnected from the top.

That's enough for now, it's good to see you're pushing the site forwards, but it needs a few tweaks...

hmillington
I'm New !

Post by hmillington » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:28 pm

Another thing that annoys me slightly is that the forums and news are completely separate and look totally different and when you're in the forums there's no link back to the home page (that I've found). I realise they are based on different open source platforms so harmonisation is likely to be difficult. A link would be nice, and surely easy enough to add somewhere

lebrickboy
I'm New !

Post by lebrickboy » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:46 pm

Wow!!! I couldn't even tell it was toys n bricks!

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:21 pm

I'm not sure where I stand yet. It looked nice before. It was efficient and relayed the news quickly. This new one seems to be highly embellished and my eyes don't travel to the headlines first, they just wander. I guess nope : \
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ice » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:29 pm

I was trying something out and it looks like that it wasn't very successful. Thanks for the feedback guys. Home page now back to old look! ;)