Editing Posts

Code of Conduct, Privacy Policy, Announcements. Got a suggestion to our site? Let us hear it!
BrickWild
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Editing Posts

Post by BrickWild » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:36 pm

Unlike any other phpBB board, this one doesn't allow me to edit postings after people have replied (e.g. fixing broken links).
http://www.lddmodels.jimdo.com
Lego Factory/DesignByMe (Circa 2005 - January 16 2012)
Lego Universe (October 2010 - January 2012)

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Editing Posts

Post by Ice » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:51 pm

Actually, you are allowed to edit your postings. But there is a time limit of 15 minutes. ;)

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:54 pm

Ice wrote:Actually, you are allowed to edit your postings. But there is a time limit of 15 minutes. ;)
Might we make that a bit longer? I frequently don't notice my errors until someone replies and I reread my original post.
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ice » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:02 pm

legitimatealex wrote:
Ice wrote:Actually, you are allowed to edit your postings. But there is a time limit of 15 minutes. ;)
Might we make that a bit longer? I frequently don't notice my errors until someone replies and I reread my original post.
Would 30 minutes do?

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:10 am

Maybe. Maybe even an hour. 15 minutes is definitely too short though. What's the rationale in limiting the edit times?
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:18 am

legitimatealex wrote:What's the rationale in limiting the edit times?
The possibility of rewriting history would be the only concern I can think of - by that I mean you post something that has questionable veracity, I post something debunking your post, you edit your post to say something else entirely and my post makes no sense. I could see keeping it open for an hour.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

Everybody
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Everybody » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:10 am

I say keep it open for a couple days but then whenever you edit it it should say it's been edited.

possum
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by possum » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:19 am

Everybody wrote:I say keep it open for a couple days but then whenever you edit it it should say it's been edited.
IMO as long as it says last edited it at mm/dd/yy hh:mm:ss then there should be unlimited edits.
Disclosure of location should be required when listing your finds!

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Post by Mantisking » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:27 am

Everybody wrote:I say keep it open for a couple days but then whenever you edit it it should say it's been edited.
possum wrote:IMO as long as it says last edited it at mm/dd/yy hh:mm:ss then there should be unlimited edits.
That's the way the Palladium board does it. RPGnet gives you about 24 hours or so then locks the post.

toystest
Knight
Knight

Post by toystest » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:06 am

possum wrote:
IMO as long as it says last edited it at mm/dd/yy hh:mm:ss then there should be unlimited edits.
I like this idea, it allows for a little bit more flexibility.

corsair
Citizen
Citizen

Post by corsair » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:21 pm

I'd also like unlimited edits. I'm interested in making trades so that would help out a lot. That way people could make one list and edit that one list instead of creating multiple post every time they need to update.

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Is there a problem with the "edit" post function?

Post by atmail35 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:21 pm

I was trying to edit a previous post vs posting a new reply but there was no edit button, I thought it was to the left of "quote". Has something changed?

I made a new reply today and it seems like I can edit that one but not older ones.

Just curious....and confused ;)

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Re: Is there a problem with the "edit" post function?

Post by ncbarrett » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:46 pm

I believe you have 30 mins to edit.
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Re: Is there a problem with the "edit" post function?

Post by atmail35 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:58 pm

ncbarrett wrote:I believe you have 30 mins to edit.
Oh thanks for the clarification. I guess I never tried to edit a post here before beyond 10-15 minutes, I just assumed you could go back and edit and didn't notice the button disappered.

Zeya
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by Zeya » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:06 pm

I have to chime in here. A time limit for editing your post is at the least annoying for your standard reply you might want to edit later, and at worst a traffic killer for things like buy/sell/trade threads.

Scenario 1: "A simple mistake that can never be corrected"
I make a hasty post somewhere with a link. Then there are a dozen posts after saying "link broken". But 15 minutes has gone by before I notice the link is broken and now there's no going back. Now the thread keeps getting spam about a link being broken.

Scenario 2: "Impossible to peruse a trading CMF thread"
I post in the CMF5 trading thread about figs I need and have to trade. If I trade one or two, I have to make another post. And then the entire thread gets bogged down with re-posts as people want to update their list of stock. Also you potentially keep getting PMs about a post you made weeks/months ago about items you no longer have.

You guys get the picture. I understand the fear of polluting the timeline. But honestly, I don't think that happens so much.

If you guys are scared about a sale thread's first post being changed later on, I can think of a couple possibilities:
1. Allow unlimited post edits in certain forum sections only, such as buy/sell/trade (maybe only just that section).
2. Or maybe just disallow unlimited editing in certain sections such as Sales and Availability, and allow everywhere else.

And again, I think fears of a thread getting polluted or maimed are pretty low and an acceptable risk. I've never seen much of that anywhere, even on terrible auto forums where people have the mentality of 11 year olds, lol. If you let people only edit their own posts, that really limits it anyway.

Wow, I wrote a book. :)

lukeskywalker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by lukeskywalker » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:03 pm

^ :up:

Zeya
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by Zeya » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:29 am

I just realized there is now an "edit" button available to me now on both my post above and on my CMF5 trading thread. And that means that either I have egg on my face or someone changed post editing in the past 12 hours or so. Lol.

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ice » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:38 am

Zeya wrote:I just realized there is now an "edit" button available to me now on both my post above and on my CMF5 trading thread. And that means that either I have egg on my face or someone changed post editing in the past 12 hours or so. Lol.
I changed it. Your article was very convincing. :up:

Zeya
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by Zeya » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:05 pm

Ice wrote:
Zeya wrote:I just realized there is now an "edit" button available to me now on both my post above and on my CMF5 trading thread. And that means that either I have egg on my face or someone changed post editing in the past 12 hours or so. Lol.
I changed it. Your article was very convincing. :up:
Sweet. :up:

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:13 pm

:clap: :up: I'm glad we can edit, I hate having spelling errors etc follow me for life! ;-)