Subscribe to topic without notification?

Code of Conduct, Privacy Policy, Announcements. Got a suggestion to our site? Let us hear it!
condor
Knight
Knight

Subscribe to topic without notification?

Post by condor » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:46 am

Hello,

Is there a way to stop emails being sent when somebody replies to a subscribed topic? I searched through the whole User C/P but couldn't find anything like that.

Thanks!

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Subscribe to topic without notification?

Post by Ice » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:11 pm

Hi condor, you can unsubscribe to the topic.

Morgan19
Knight
Knight

Post by Morgan19 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:13 pm

I almost replied with that as well, but then re-read the question... I think he wants to still be subscribed (so it shows up in the CP) but just not get email notifications. Is that right, Condor?

condor
Knight
Knight

Post by condor » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:00 pm

Yes, that's right. I use Tapatalk and it keeps track of my subscribed topics so I get a notification when there is a reply. The problem is that when I subscribe to a topic, I get a notification and an email.

I also like going into the subscribed topics tab and seeing all the new posts there. The email gets annoying when you're subscribed to several topics.

Thanks for looking into it!

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:52 am

There doesn't seem to be a way to subscribe without receiving the email alerts. Honestly, that's the original point of subscribing - phpBB was created long before push notifications, so it was the only way for the system to notify you.

The latest version of phpBB (3.1.x) has a new 'notifications' feature which gives you a little more fine-grained control over subscriptions, including what kind of alert you get - either an email, an in-forum notification, or both for various actions. I could easily see them adding an additional column for push notifications to a phone number in the future, but for now it's just the email or in-forum notification.

I know Ice has intentions to upgrade sometime in the future but not until there is more support for themes and mods/extensions - 3.1.x is still relatively in its infancy.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

condor
Knight
Knight

Post by condor » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:26 am

Thanks for the info!

It looks like the other forums I frequent use vBulletin and IPBoard so that's why they are different. I just saw the "bookmark this topic" option too, so I'll see if that does what I'm looking for.