[REVIEW] 7596 Trash Compactor Escape

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.

How would you rate this set?

Excellent
No votes
Average
100%
Poor
No votes

Total votes: 3

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

[REVIEW] 7596 Trash Compactor Escape

Post by hatcher » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:53 am

Indexed

Set Name:Trash Compactor Escape
Set Number: 7596
Theme: Toy Story 3
Year: 2010
Pieces: 370
Minifigures: 5
MSRP: $69.99 (CDN)

Description from Shop@Home:
Woody and Hamm are about to to meet a fiery fate!

Woody and Hamm are in some trouble! Lotso is up to no good, and Woody and Hamm find themselves in a precarious position trapped on a conveyor belt. What does fate have in store for them? Can their alien friends rescue them? Buildable trash compactor playset features functioning crane claw, dumpster, and conveyor belt and includes Lotso, Hamm, Woody and 2 alien figures.

Includes 5 minifigures: Lotso, Hamm, Woody and 2 alien minifigures
Buildable trash compactor with crane claw, dumpster and conveyor belt
Trash compactor measures 16'' (40cm) and 8'' (20cm) high!

Award Winner:Oppenheim Toy Portfolio's Gold Seal
http://shop.lego.com/en-CA/Trash-Compac ... ry-ByTheme" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

While the name of this set should belong to a Star Wars set, it instead recreates the climatic end of the movie Toy Story 3. Upon looking at this set, I initially was going to pass on it. $70 for 370 pieces? I think not. But lets take a closer look at what you get, and decide if the price is worth it or not.

Here is the front of the box. The set in made up of a conveyor belt, a furnace, a crane (or as the LGM's like to call it "THE CLAW!") a garbage dumper, and a control tower. Interestingly, there is no compactor.
IMG_5075.JPG
The back of the box. Here you see the included mini figures (2 LGM's, Woody, Hamm, and Lotso) as well as the play features of the set.
IMG_5076.JPG
Inside the box you have 5 numbered bags, 2 instruction books, a dumper, a rubber belt, and Woody, Hamm and Lotso in individual bags, as well as the dreaded sticker sheet. I did not put the stickers on this set, as it destined for the parts bucket.
IMG_5077.JPG
The instruction books have different covers! This is a neat idea that I have only seen in City themed sets so far. Book 1 is for the crane and control platform, and Book 2 is for the furnace, conveyor belt and dumper.
IMG_5078.JPG
A random page from the instruction book. The steps are numbered, and the parts needed are shown in a call out beside the number.
IMG_5079.JPG
The Dreaded Sticker Sheet. Only a few stickers thankfully, two are for the control platform, and the rest are for the furnace.
IMG_5080.JPG
The parts from bag one plus the 3 mini figures. This bag contains the parts for the control platform and the rest of the mini figures. Nothing too exciting here except for the mini figure parts..
IMG_5081.JPG
The mini figures. You get 2 LGM (Little Green Men aliens), Woody, Hamm and Lotso. All of them the dirty variety. Woody looks decidedly depressed. Hamm comes complete with a stopper on his belly and a coin slot on his back. You can get a dirty Lotso in the Garbage Truck Getaway, but the other four can only be found here.
IMG_5084.JPG
And from the back. Dirt on this side too.
IMG_5085.JPG
Here is Hamm from the top with his stopper removed. Hamm is hard to come by. He is only found in this set, the Western Train Chase (in his Dr Porkchop outfit) and in the Pizza Planet Truck Rescue set, where he is clean.
IMG_5088.JPG
The bottom half of the control platform. You'll see this a few times, as it is the bottom of several other sections of the set.
IMG_5089.JPG
The completed control platform with extra parts on the side. The two stickers would go on the tall grew pieces on either side of the controls.
IMG_5090.JPG
The contents of bag number 2. This bag contains the parts for the crane. The claw mechanism used here is quite interesting. The parts are nothing I've ever seen before. I was very impressed with how the claw came together.
IMG_5091.JPG
Here is the control section for the claw in progress.
IMG_5092.JPG
And with the roof finished. You can see the bottom section in the background.
IMG_5093.JPG
The crane arms attached. I like how they designed this section.
IMG_5094.JPG
And the finished crane, with spare parts on the side. The claw actually grabs things, there is a winch to raise and lower it. Very sharp looking, and well designed.
IMG_5095.JPG
The contents of bag number 3. This bag builds the trash dumper. The actual dumper is not shown in this picture, it is put on last. Once again, you get to build that same starting bottom piece. Also included in this bag are some coins to put in Hamm.
IMG_5096.JPG
The mechanism to dump the trash. It works quite well. Here you see it on an angle for tipping.
IMG_5097.JPG
And complete with tipper, trash to burn (seen in tipper) and the connecting structure at the bottom. This section will attach to the conveyor belt.
IMG_5098.JPG
The contents of bag #4. This bag builds the conveyor belt (with the rubber belt). I like the x shaped supports.
IMG_5099.JPG
The base of the conveyor belt.
IMG_5100.JPG
The conveyor belt itself added. You turn the wheel on the left and the belt moves. It actually works quite well. My daughter found that if you spin it fast enough, you can launch your mini figures quite a distance (over a foot easily). She spent a good five minutes or so doing that before I could get her to finish building it.
IMG_5101.JPG
The finished conveyor belt with spare pieces. Added in here is the chute on the left where dumped trash comes in, and a smaller connection on the right.
IMG_5103.JPG
The contents of bag #5. This bag builds the furnace.
IMG_5104.JPG
The furnace half built. I particularly like how they designed the furnace to be interesting in appearance, and structurally sound while still functional. The large fire parts go on the light grey tile with one stud.
IMG_5105.JPG
The completed furnace with spare pieces.
IMG_5106.JPG
The complete assembly of dumper, conveyor belt and furnace.
IMG_5107.JPG
And the complete set. Lotso at the controls of the conveyor belt, the LGM's in the cane, Hamm in the claw, and Woody going for a ride.
IMG_5108.JPG
Conclusion. This set does have a lot of play features, but all together, they really only do one thing. I don't know if kids would play with this set repeatedly or if they'd find it boring. It does come with some nice pieces that you can't find anywhere else. Four out of five mini figures are only available in this set, but honestly, what are you going to do with a dirty Woody mini figure? Or dirty LGM's (which by the way, there should be 3 of, not 2). At least you get a Hamm you can use as a piggy bank (for your lego money) but even he is dirty, so not as nice. And then there is the cost. At regular price, this set is not worth it. Even at 50% off (which is how I got it) its a bit on the high side.

Mini figures 3/5 (nice, but really only useful in this set)
Parts 4/5
Price 2/5 - Even with all the new pieces and such, the price is too high for what you get.
Play features -4/5

Overall score (Not an average) 3/5. If you love Toy Story 3, wait for a sale, other wise give it a pass.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?