Your hobbies, other than LEGO

The chit-chat fun that is not related to LEGO.
vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Your hobbies, other than LEGO

Post by vynsane » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:44 am

So, LEGO brought us all here, but we're all so much more than A/TFOLs - what else are you passionate about, what else do you fill your downtime with?

While I might have taken a two-decade or so break from LEGO, I never stopped reading comics since I started back in 6th grade. I've seen Spider-man's status quo change and revert more times than I care to remember. My favorites, including Spidey, are Invincible, The Walking Dead, Hellboy, Atomic Robo

Most of my contemporaries will remember becoming obsessed with Karate after Mr. Miyagi made it so awesome looking. While I did take Tae Kwon Do in my elementary school years and also have dabbled in Ju Jitsu and Tang Lang Quan (Northern Praying Mantis Fist) Kung Fu, the other Asian discipline espoused in the Karate Kid movies took more of a hold on my imagination - Bonsai. I've tried my hand at it multiple times and have murdered my fair share of innocent trees, but this was mainly due to inexperience and lack of proper tools, time and space in which to do it. I currently have a juniper in my front yard that I transplanted from my brother-in-law's house which is doing quite nicely. I think it will be ready to pot and prune sometime in the next year.

I also hope to find a school that teaches Tang Lang Quan near my home, but so far have found nothing.

Finally, I went to Pratt Institute and studied Illustration and Graphic Design, and intend to use that to develop one or more fo the ideas I have for webcomics. While it hasn't been updated in a LOOONG time, I have a sketchblog at http://dailyscribble.vynsane.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

Rook
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Re: Your hobbies, other than LEGO

Post by Rook » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:41 am

Other then Lego? Really. Sorry none of equal interest.

I kid.

Painting, Caving, Backpacking, Camping, Archery, Darts, Billards, Chess, Rook, SciFi TV and movies, Travel.

legogod
Knight
Knight

Post by legogod » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:35 pm

Reading, writing, Frisbee golf, watching horror movies, and my biggest passion-animation which I have paired off with my Legos. (I don't care if this is the wrong context. I'm a believer the plural of Lego has an "s".) :P

I play an occasional Magic game with some decks I built. I don't have a whole lot of downtime with two kids and two jobs but I like sorting my Lego collection right now.

Jared

natelite
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by natelite » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:28 pm

Watching movies and building out my home theater. Not much time left after these two. Used to play mmorpg but given up mostly due to lack of time. Dabble in some day trading but mostly restricted due to company policy.

lukeskywalker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by lukeskywalker » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:42 pm

I make super hero movies!
I also enjoy making bottle rockets and blowing stuff up.(Just kidding about the last part ;) )

dr_spock
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dr_spock » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:55 pm

Fencing, cycling,ultimate frisbee, photography, and sleeping.

kevin7215
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by kevin7215 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:08 pm

Collecting PEZ (not interested in that as much as LEGO's or course), Movies, Watching Football, Jogging (although that has taken a hit since I have three young children)

slacker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by slacker » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:10 pm

Lego is just a small part other hobbies. Back in the mid 80s I was into baseball cards. stopped in the early 90s for comics. Got into comics until 2000 until I started buying original comic art. Comics got really popular and prices kept going up. So 4 years ago I stopped collecting anything comic related. But I ocassionally pick something up. At the same time, got into R/C cars. Now I watch anime. Oh and for the last 10 years, I've been reliving my childhood by buying a few arcade machines for the man cave. I'm constantly working on my house. I'm hoping to build a bar next year after I finish the deck.

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:50 pm

kevin7215 wrote:Collecting PEZ (not interested in that as much as LEGO's or course), Movies, Watching Football, Jogging (although that has taken a hit since I have three young children)
Do you display your PEZ dispensers? We (my daughter and I) have a strange addiction to PEZ, I can't resist those things and end up buying her treats every now and then in the form of a Pez dispenser. I even bought a 4-5 piece Hello Kitty set that came in a lunch box...so cute. Anyway we have them kind of jumbled up all around the house but I'm wondering if there is a good way to display them. How many do you have? We probably only have 20 or so, I'm not sure if that qualifies as a collection.

My current hobbies include gardening (veggie and flower), crafts (crochet, some scrapbooking), photography (I definitely have not displayed my best work here), watching TV, and SHOPPING (especially the bargain kind). ;) I also am a New England sports fan and watch my fair share of Patriots and Red Sox games w/ my husband. Celtics and Bruins only if they are in the playoffs :)

My husband is OK with my hobbies, except the shopping one. ;) And he thinks I'm crazy to want so much Lego in the house.

kevin7215
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by kevin7215 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:17 pm

I have a HUGE PEZ collection. Hundreds and hundreds of them and also other PEZ items. I used to have a whole room dedicated to just PEZ. The ones in packages I would display on peg boards. The loose ones I made a stadium type display for them. Then I had three kids, lost the room to them. So they are mostly in storage boxes around the house, under bed storage. I have a wall display that I have 20 or so in, but nothing compared to what I used to have. I just don't have the passion I used to have with them that I have now with LEGO. With LEGO I can build things with my kids and the possibilities are endless. With PEZ they are nice to look at and collect, but not much to interact with (except to eat the candy of course).

sadowsk1
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by sadowsk1 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:05 am

I'm a huge nerd still, I'm down for Magic the Gathering or old school PC gaming any day of the week.

lordharrier
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by lordharrier » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:54 am

I play table top Dungeons and Dragons once a week (going on 30 years now), tabletop Battletech twice a month (just started again this year after a 20 year hiatus). I still have some Gundam models and Zoids that I haven't sold that need airbrushing and assembly, been doing that for about 22 years. I watch Anime when I can, and I have to admit that I'm really digging Tron Uprising and Legend of Korra.

Brings back the memories of other hobbies.. I got into Magic when it first came out and sold my cards about 5 years ago for a nice chunk of change. Sadly, I never got into PEZ though lol.
My Dark Age was 41 years.. weep for me.

My Flickr: There isn't much but I have a lot of favorites!

brickarmor
Knight
Knight

Post by brickarmor » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:39 pm

I was hoping there was a thread like this!

Gardening: we grow a ton of food, and this time of year I'm a sunburned dirt ball dawn to dusk.
Ultimate frisbee: used to play a lot, then everybody moved. I throw a killer Hammer.
Reading: Lego has severely cut into my reading time. I admit to being a literature snob who enjoys the heavyweights in fiction, philosophy, and criticism.

lego the hutt
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by lego the hutt » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:48 pm

Disc golf, home brewing and fantasy football
Last edited by lego the hutt on Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Derek
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by Derek » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:35 am

Running. Watching movies.

Other than that, my kids keep me on the go, and their activities/interests lead me. (LEGO is a huge interest of theirs of course).

fanjo
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by fanjo » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:24 pm

I use to love lego as a kid. My son is into lego so he's given me an excuse to get back into it again. I still have the old 1980's lego space sets. We're also into Skylanders and I'm into Satellites and maintaining my car.

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Post by Mantisking » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:17 am

My other two main hobbies are martial arts -- I've been practicing for over 10 years at this point -- and sampling/collecting whiskey. I used to play RPGs and collect comics but those hobbies have kind of faded into the background.

legohunter
Count
Count

Post by legohunter » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:01 am

Movie, Video Game, and Sleeping :P.

scandell
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by scandell » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:12 am

I make Muppet Replicas...

I drive a 1959 VW Double Cab Truck...

I am a Character Face Rigger at Dreamworks Animation...

Dneul
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Dneul » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:00 pm

I am a car seat technician as a passion (ie. no compensation or work related), I enjoy crafts and "fixing" things. All my friends come to me when they need an idea or hack for something. I have 2 kids, an older daschund, and a 6 month old daschund. I usually will spend 2 hours a day doing something lego related.