10% off coupon on Fall 2013 Catalog

Share your LEGO Sales and LEGO Deals Finds here.
Forum rules
Please remember that Store Pricing topics should be placed in the "Retailer Discussions" Forum. If you find new LEGO products (and not on sale), please post in the "LEGO Availability" Forum.
atmail35
Duke
Duke

10% off coupon on Fall 2013 Catalog

Post by atmail35 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:16 pm

I received my Fall 2013 catalog and there was a 10% off coupon good until 10/13/2013 on the back. :mrgreen:

SpaceViking
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Re: 10% off coupon on Fall 2013 Catalog

Post by SpaceViking » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:26 pm

Nice. Hope we get one, too.

Reports on brickset are that these %-off coupons at LBS are no longer valid on the Exclusive models, numbers 10xxx, which is a bummer.

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:07 pm

SpaceViking wrote:Nice. Hope we get one, too.

Reports on brickset are that these %-off coupons at LBS are no longer valid on the Exclusive models, numbers 10xxx, which is a bummer.
I did not read the fine print...here it is...and it is really tiny. I need a magnifying glass to read it. :lol:no
Discount is valid on one item only in one transaction only. Discount cannot be applied to the value of gift cards purchased, out of stock or back ordered items. The LEGO Store reserves the right to exclude other items - see Store for details. Discount is not valid on any applicable tax or shipping costs and cannot be used for phone orders, online orders or Shop & Ship orders...Discount may not apply to Exclusives, LEGO Mindstorms and LEGO Hard to Find items.
I didn't type it all out...the font size is about 2 pt, the bold could be concerning as I almost always use it on a modular or large set. :sad:

Orangechef
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by Orangechef » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:08 pm

atmail35 wrote:I almost always use it on a modular or large set. :sad:
This. I don't see that I'd have any use for the coupon now if I can't use it on an exclusive or hard to find item.

DarthMC
Peasant
Peasant

Post by DarthMC » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:43 am

atmail35 wrote:
SpaceViking wrote:Nice. Hope we get one, too.

I did not read the fine print...here it is...and it is really tiny. I need a magnifying glass to read it. :lol:no
Discount is valid on one item only in one transaction only. Discount cannot be applied to the value of gift cards purchased, out of stock or back ordered items. The LEGO Store reserves the right to exclude other items - see Store for details. Discount is not valid on any applicable tax or shipping costs and cannot be used for phone orders, online orders or Shop & Ship orders...Discount may not apply to Exclusives, LEGO Mindstorms and LEGO Hard to Find items.
I didn't type it all out...the font size is about 2 pt, the bold could be concerning as I almost always use it on a modular or large set. :sad:
This text is not totally new, I looked at a Spring 12 catalog that had a coupon that I did not use and the fine print says they reserve the right to exclude items. I went to the LEGO store today to get the Ewok Village and it was on a list of sets that are no longer discountable (All large exclusive sets). The irony is that on the catalog the coupon is right under a picture of the Sydney Opera House set. Ended up using it on a smaller set to get the Clone trooper polybag which was what I was primarily after. Perhaps if people mention this on the online survey from the receipt they may listen (or not). I really hope they fix this before Black Friday because if the scratch cards don't apply to the exclusives, I'm not wasting my time going there since almost every other set can be found at a discount elsewhere (For instance the YoYo 37% off stackable coupons last week). Has there been that much abuse of the coupons that this policy was required?

DarthMC

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:21 pm

DarthMC, I think you are right, we should make note on surveys or let them know via email how it is disappointing certain sets are not included. It can't hurt.

I do think it is weird that it says "Discount MAY not apply". That sort of leaves it open to interpretation, IMO. I think they are leaving it a bit vague for the "normal" consumer. :crazy: If I didn't read these boards and wasn't a more "knowledgeable" customer I would be really irritated if I went to use the coupon and they denied it for "certain sets" that are on some list that is kept a the store, especially if I went out of my way to drive to the store just to use the coupon that was mailed to me. They sort of need to be more up front about it (and make the font bigger so a normal person can read it).

lordopus99
Peasant
Peasant

Post by lordopus99 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:31 am

Also got denied on using it towards the Ewok set. They showed me the list of exclusions. What a bust on the coupon now.

Bobsterino
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

LEGO Catalog 10% Store Coupon

Post by Bobsterino » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:05 am

I just returned from my local LEGO store and I must say I'm extremely disappointed by a new policy concerning the 10% off catalog coupons. I drove to the local store, more than 60 minutes round trip for me, specifically to buy the 10237 Orthanc Tower set, having waited for the coupon to do so. Upon arrival, I was told that it didn't apply to this set, nor apparently any set at this price point or higher, and that this was a new policy as of August 1st. While I was there in the shop, and mind you not for a long time and at a time of day when it was not busy at all, two other customers had large sets for purchase with the coupon and both put the sets back on the shelf after being told the coupon was not applicable! (10234 Sydney Opera House and 31313 Mindstorms EV3 - both high ticket items.) I should also note that they were quite irate as well.

According to the clerk, the coupon doesn't apply to Hard-To-Find items, sets in the 10000 and 21000 series, or Mindstorms, none of which is stated on the coupon. So pretty much anything you'd want to use the coupon for... The sales associate further informed me that not even the store manager is allowed to override this, and they've had a *lot* of complaints in-store about this policy.

Surely this is a bad policy, and will only serve to punish and frankly * off the best customers, those who buy the highest ticket items. When LEGO starts taking its best customers for granted like this, those customers will only take so much before they stop buying, or at minimum buy much less product.

There's no excuse for not making this new policy clearer on the coupon itself, and wasting the gas and time of the customers, but I suggest they should seriously consider reversing this policy altogether. It merely serves to alienate customers. Is this kind of bad press and ill will worth the few dollars it saves TLG?

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Re: LEGO Catalog 10% Store Coupon

Post by atmail35 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:13 am

this is being discussed on another thread...I am going to merge this. it is in the fine print, which is miniscle and vauge at best, sorry you made the drive.

Bobsterino
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by Bobsterino » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:22 am

I suggest we all complain to TLG, but don't use the store survey from the receipt to do so. That only reflects on that individual store and will probably never get to corporate. If you go to the LEGO website, there are links to file complaints. I generally receive a response when using that.

bea
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by bea » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:05 pm

Wow, that is seriously disappointing. I was planning to use the coupon to pick up the winter market or cinema but by the sound of things, both would be excluded. I think I will wait and see how the sales play out at other retailers instead.

thenos
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by thenos » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:12 pm

I can get 10% off of anything I can eventually find for at least 20% off. Wow. Great deal.

Marcus70
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by Marcus70 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:33 pm

Found this on Bricklink:

"Hello and Good Afternoon folks,

I hope this message finds you all well. I understand there has been a bit of
chatter and discussion around the community in regards to a recent change in
qualifying items that may be purchased with a discount via LEGO Brand Retail
Stores. I have reached out to my colleagues within LEGO Brand Retail as well
as other business partners within the company to investigate this further. I
can confirm with you all today that a new restriction has, in fact, been placed
upon items that may be purchased with a discount through LEGO Brand Retail as
well as LEGO Shop-at-Home. This new rule applies to any and all discount opportunities
that are currently operating. These are the areas that affect the AFOL community:

· LBR LUG Showcase Program

· AFOL Appreciation Shopping Day

· New LBR Store Opening Volunteer Opportunities

· LBR Master Model Building Event Volunteer Opportunities

· LBR Large Scaled Store Event Volunteer Opportunities

As of July 1st, the following “exclusive” items are no longer available to be
purchased at a discount, with no exceptions:
10188 Death Star™
10197 Fire Brigade
10211 Grand Emporium
10214 Tower Bridge
10218 Pet Shop
10221 Super Star Destroyer
10220 Volkswagen T1 Camper Van
10223 Kingdoms Joust
10224 Town Hall
10225 SW R2D2
10226 Sopwith Camel
10228 Haunted House
10229 Winter Village Cottage
10233 Horizon Express
10937 Batman™: Arkham Asylum Breakout
10232 Palace Cinema
10240 Red Five X-Wing Starfighter™
10237 The Tower of Orthanc
10234 Sydney Opera House™
10236 Ewok™ Village
10235 Winter Village Market
31313 MINDSTORMS 2013
21050 Architecture Studio

I understand that this will likely be met with great disappointment and concern.
I assure you this decision was not made lightly and at an extremely high level
within our organization. I would appreciate your help in passing along this information
to your respective LUGs to ensure everyone is adequately prepared before participating
in one of the above mentioned discount opportunities. Please note this new restriction
ONLY applies to North America, more specifically the United States and Canada.

I have already passed along my feedback concerning this change as the community
representative for North America to the appropriate individuals. Thank you for
your continued time and support.

Regards,

LEGO

Kevin Hinkle
Senior Community Coordinator
CEE Community Support "

source:
http://www.bricklink.com/message.asp?ID=755191" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bea
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by bea » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:49 pm

In the mean time, both profits and revenues are up for TLG. Interesting how they are choosing to react towards their customers.

StClair
Count
Count

Post by StClair » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:43 pm

I don't remember ever seeing a coupon for purchases in a LEGO catalog exception for the LEGO park coupons that I've seen in the past. Here is what the back of my Fall 2013 LEGO catalog looks like that just arrived days ago.
Maybe its because there is NOT a LEGO store in the area?
With what I've read about exclusions of particular products I won't complain though. Plus I love the free shipping and no sales taxes on purchases AND free bonus items with purchases (in this case the VW minibuild).

Anyone else not get a coupon in their LEGO catalog?

Zeya
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by Zeya » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:46 pm

TLG stopped sending me catalogs entirely. I have to request one each time now. I used to get them regularly with the 10% coupon. But with this news, now I don't feel so bad about not getting them anymore.

Tyrant01
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Tyrant01 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:07 pm

StClair wrote:I don't remember ever seeing a coupon for purchases in a LEGO catalog exception for the LEGO park coupons that I've seen in the past. Here is what the back of my Fall 2013 LEGO catalog looks like that just arrived days ago.
With what I've read about exclusions of particular products I won't complain though. Plus I love the free shipping and no sales taxes on purchases AND free bonus items with purchases (in this case the VW minibuild).

I live about 90 miles from a store (in my state) and I have never got a coupon. I also didn't get the last catalog for some reason but I did get this one and the back is exactly like yours. I'm not missing out as I never got them, but it sucks that they changed the coupons like that. I really hope this doesn't also apply to things like double points (next month) or Black Friday scratch off discounts (November).

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:20 pm

StClair wrote:

Apparently you have to be within X miles of a LEGO Brand Store to receive a coupon. I think maybe it is 60 miles. I'm guessing they don't put coupons on those who do not have stores nearby since they (falsely) believe that people won't drive far for the store. Honestly, I've always thought that "rule" was ridiculous since people do travel or even are willing to drive hours to a LBS. They need a new marketing person! ;-)

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:23 pm

As an aside, if you are looking for the Architecture set, I recommend going to Barnes & Noble the next time a coupon comes out. If you are a member, you get 10% off then another 20%. I got one over Labor Day weekend since I'm not sure how long it will be until B&N disallows the discount.

brixter
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by brixter » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:43 pm

I'm very curious to see if this new rule applies to the annual Black Friday scratch off discount. From the wording of the official response, it sounds like you will NOT be able to include any of those sets in a BF discount. They will probably keep this rule in effect through the holidays and lift it in the new year in response to the massive outcry of Lego customers.