[USA] Walmart Clearance Sale

Share your LEGO Sales and LEGO Deals Finds here.
Forum rules
Please remember that Store Pricing topics should be placed in the "Retailer Discussions" Forum. If you find new LEGO products (and not on sale), please post in the "LEGO Availability" Forum.
jeffbock2
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

[USA] Walmart Clearance Sale

Post by jeffbock2 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:06 pm

Anybody want to guess what sets, if any, will be 50% off tomorrow morning? I am hoping for the City Fire Station (if it's even available anymore), 7498 Lego Police Station and any of Forest Police sets. If any of the Dino sets are 50% off I would probably grab those as well (whatever my son doesn't already have). I have already been given the lecture from my wife about how our son doesn't need anymore Legos but I remember seeing Pharaoh's Quest 7327 last year at Walmart for 50% off and kicking myself for not getting it.

kwkw
Knight
Knight

Re: [USA] Walmart Clearance Sale

Post by kwkw » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:10 pm

jeffbock2 wrote:Anybody want to guess what sets, if any, will be 50% off tomorrow morning? I am hoping for the City Fire Station (if it's even available anymore), 7498 Lego Police Station and any of Forest Police sets. If any of the Dino sets are 50% off I would probably grab those as well (whatever my son doesn't already have). I have already been given the lecture from my wife about how our son doesn't need anymore Legos but I remember seeing Pharaoh's Quest 7327 last year at Walmart for 50% off and kicking myself for not getting it.
Considering this years overall "sales" (crappy black friday and Christmas sales) compared to last year, I doubt they will have anything over 30% off if anything, I hope I'm wrong though and we find 50% off nearly everything, my wallet will cry but I will :-D like a kid on Christmas morning

intromission
Knight
Knight

Post by intromission » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:28 pm

Hear, hear. :) I've been getting antsy as I consider a post proposing that whoever gets to the stores earlier report back here and let the rest of us know what to look for. There's been talk over on Brickset and I'm trying to stay hopeful, but a lot of folks don't expect anything as good as last year. That was my reintroduction back into LEGO via my son and it really set the bar pretty high as far as clearance/sales go. I will keep my expectations low and advise my son to do the same but we will be heading out in the A.M. excited as ever.
I'm hoping for some Dino, Ninjago wave 2, and Star Wars discounts but who knows. Kinda wish I had gotten a feel for what was in stock at different locations beforehand, and I'm definitely wondering if the Ipad app will come into play this year (we don't have one and for some reason the android app isn't as good), allowing resellers to beat others to the punch. Start your engines...

jeffbock2
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by jeffbock2 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:07 pm

I went to the Super Walmart near me on Sunday and they had a decent amount of Star Wars stuff but it seemed like they moved a lot of the City sets over to the non-City sets so everything was very picked over. Hopefully they stock the shelves tonight with anything they have. I don't really feel like traveling to other Walmarts in case the one near me has nothing, but I have a feeling I will once I read what other people are finding. I am anticipating that Walmart is going to have the better Lego deals than Target. The Target near me was very picked over and had a lot of sets that my son doesn't really care about (Star Wars, Lords of the Ring, Hobbit) and I figure at most they will be is 30% off before they sell out. Does anybody know what time they open tomorrow (at least the 24 Super Walmarts)?

King
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by King » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:13 pm

Last year it was 5am, but I think that I read that this year it is 6am. Checking through the app for stores around here and almost everything is showing limited stock or out of stock, so even with any deals there may just not be the sets out there.

King

janckson
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by janckson » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:19 pm

I'm not expecting it to be like last year. Lego has grown incredibly popular just over this year with multiple store openings. I was checking the aisles on Monday and virtually every retail store had their Lego aisles wiped out or with a few sets lingering, I don't remember it being this bad last year.

popnfresh
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by popnfresh » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:34 pm

walmarts and targets here are completely wiped out, it was NOT like this last year when we made out like bandits with the clearances

jeffbock2
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by jeffbock2 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:44 pm

Hopefully we won't have to wait for returns/exchanges in order to take advantage of any clearance items.

kwkw
Knight
Knight

Post by kwkw » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:51 pm

What's interesting about all this talk about the increased popularity of lego (judging by the cleared shelfs this year) which also means the increase in re-sellers, is that no one ever talks about how the market for EOL sets will be the same or better than previous years. The reason for this is that demand for EOL sets will increase (due to higher popularity in lego, which I think will increase even more in the near future). Eventhough there will be more resellers in the market which increases supply there will also be more lego fans which increases demand for these sets (so the supply/demand scales balance out), so all this talk (on other forums and posts) about reselling not being as profitable before is just a bunch of bs. Just my two cents. Sorry lots of things on my mind in regards to lego and felt like writing them on here lol

King
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by King » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:13 pm

Reselling is not as profitable as it once was.

We run one of the 10 largest US based stores on BL and even though we do not sell sets or "invest" in sets, we buy many sets from "resellers" who are trying to "invest" in Lego. Most of them are terrible at it and there are so many people doing it now that the market is quite soft. Our discussions usually go something like this...

"Aww....I bought 50 (insert set # here) for $50 each and I thought they would be worth $150 by now, but they are only worth $60 a year later. Now I am sure I want to invest in (another set # here) so can you get me out of these?"

And then a couple of months later....

"You remember those 50 (another set # here) I bought a while ago thinking they would skyrocket in value? Well they are only worth $5 more today, so are you interested in buying them so I can invest in (3rd set number here)?"

And on and on. I know that some people may not love the sources that say that reselling is soft (LFT for example), but I think they are right on the mark. It is incredibly tough to hit home runs in the reselling market anymore...they are out there, but they are about 10 to 1 against. (And most are not sold at WM or Target)

All that said, I still think the "resellers" (especially the CL and Ebay lot) will be out in force tomorrow trying to score $5 or $10 per set in profit.

King

King
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by King » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:17 pm

BTW...my wife just had to run a small errand and dropped by the WM down the street.

5am opening tomorrow.

King

jeffbock2
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by jeffbock2 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:37 pm

King wrote:BTW...my wife just had to run a small errand and dropped by the WM down the street.

5am opening tomorrow.

King
I am already trying to figure out how I am getting out of the house early tomorrow without it turning into a "we don't need more Legos" conversation with my wife. If I say I am going to look at TV's she'll want to come with me which means I won't be able to get to Walmart until after 9am (let alone be able to buy any Legos). I am supposed to be going to the movies with my son so maybe we'll leave early and make a side trip before we head to the mall.

intromission
Knight
Knight

Post by intromission » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:49 pm

Honestly, last year I got there at around 10 and it was pretty empty with plenty of clearance available. What helped last year was the unadvertised discounts. The shelf was priced as normal. Only by scanning was it revealed so most were oblivious. If it's done the same way wouldn't worry much.

thecleator
I'm New !

Post by thecleator » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:55 pm

Can anyone give some detail on Chrismas sales 2010? Did corporate mark down a specific list of sets like last year?

lemus
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by lemus » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:11 pm

King wrote:[...]
We run one of the 10 largest US based stores on BL and even though we do not sell sets or "invest" in sets, we buy many sets from "resellers" who are trying to "invest" in Lego. Most of them are terrible at it and there are so many people doing it now that the market is quite soft. Our discussions usually go something like this...
King
Are you QCBricks?

kwkw
Knight
Knight

Post by kwkw » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:16 pm

King wrote:Reselling is not as profitable as it once was.

"Aww....I bought 50 (insert set # here) for $50 each and I thought they would be worth $150 by now, but they are only worth $60 a year later. Now I am sure I want to invest in (another set # here) so can you get me out of these?"

And then a couple of months later....

"You remember those 50 (another set # here) I bought a while ago thinking they would skyrocket in value? Well they are only worth $5 more today, so are you interested in buying them so I can invest in (3rd set number here)?"

And on and on. I know that some people may not love the sources that say that reselling is soft (LFT for example), but I think they are right on the mark. It is incredibly tough to hit home runs in the reselling market anymore...they are out there, but they are about 10 to 1 against. (And most are not sold at WM or Target)

All that said, I still think the "resellers" (especially the CL and Ebay lot) will be out in force tomorrow trying to score $5 or $10 per set in profit.

King
That's just one type of reseller an inexperienced one not all are like that. Just like in any economy there will be people who are good at what they do and succeed at it and others who fail at it. I for one am diversifying my investments in sets that i believe will at least double in value i stay away from sets such as cars and AC even if they are discounted heavily cause i know they will be worth junk in the future.

King
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by King » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:49 pm

lemus wrote:
King wrote:[...]
King
Are you QCBricks?
That would make sense. :-D

King

King
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by King » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:53 pm

thecleator wrote:Can anyone give some detail on Chrismas sales 2010? Did corporate mark down a specific list of sets like last year?
In 2010, there were a number of sets that were available for 50% off, but it was not consistent. In some cases it was the smaller sets, but I remember that we picked up a number of the Off Road Power creator sets for 50% off. I seem to remember that the selection was a lot slimmer than 2011 and the prices varied from WM to WM.

See everyone out there later today!

King

King
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by King » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:55 pm

kwkw wrote:
King wrote:snip

King
That's just one type of reseller an inexperienced one not all are like that. Just like in any economy there will be people who are good at what they do and succeed at it and others who fail at it. I for one am diversifying my investments in sets that i believe will at least double in value i stay away from sets such as cars and AC even if they are discounted heavily cause i know they will be worth junk in the future.
Sadly, for every 1 that was smart enough to invest in UCS Falcons, Carrousels or Taj Mahals, there are 50 that "invested" in AC, PoP, or Kingdoms.

King

flyingpig
I'm New !

Post by flyingpig » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:49 am

So, Walmart is open! Anyone with sales to report?