[USA] Target Sale November 18-21

Share your LEGO Sales and LEGO Deals Finds here.
Forum rules
Please remember that Store Pricing topics should be placed in the "Retailer Discussions" Forum. If you find new LEGO products (and not on sale), please post in the "LEGO Availability" Forum.
anakinisvader
Knight
Knight

Re: [USA] Target Sale November 18-21

Post by anakinisvader » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:32 pm

Gooker1 wrote:
Brickmythic wrote:went to TRU to try to get a patch match. They had 8-12 podracers in stock, all of which were so dusty and virtually untouched for months on shelves.
I took 4 of the dusty boxes to the register where I was proceeded to get treated like a common criminal and scoffed at by the employees. They basically laughed at me, the CSM and manager both, making up excuse after excuse as to why they won't honor the deal.

Overall it was one of the most humiliating experiences I've ever had at a retail store.

Even after I showed them reciepts for $30 podracers (from target and Walmart) they still were extremely negative.

With that said, Im really glad some of you had better customer service experience with TRU getting them to price match!

Lets hope this first year of pricematching between retailers gets better.

TRU clearly hasn't trained staff enough concerning pricematching and its only going to bite them back at a later date with bad publicity.

I aint going to dwell on it, meh.

but oh wells, peace everybody, happy Turkey day!

Every place I've tried to price match, Target, Wal-Mart & TRU. They always throw a fit when it's a very large amount. The City Mine from WalMart, now the Podracers from Target. They've all flat out say they won't do it b/c it's such a drastic amount. We're talking more than 50% off. I'm not suprrised they won't honor it or at least make you go through hopes. It's just upsetting when they'll gladly match 10-20% off, but more than 50% "It must be wrong" is a common phrase. Annoying.

I tried the TRU in Albuquerque and they showed me a letter from "Corporate" saying that they couldn't honor the price match because it was a "misprint". I didn't argue and just handed the CS girl the lego and said "nevermind then".
Why do we drive on a parkway and park on a driveway?

thehotsung
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by thehotsung » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:41 am

anakinisvader wrote:
Gooker1 wrote:
Brickmythic wrote:went to TRU to try to get a patch match. They had 8-12 podracers in stock, all of which were so dusty and virtually untouched for months on shelves.
I took 4 of the dusty boxes to the register where I was proceeded to get treated like a common criminal and scoffed at by the employees. They basically laughed at me, the CSM and manager both, making up excuse after excuse as to why they won't honor the deal.

Overall it was one of the most humiliating experiences I've ever had at a retail store.

Even after I showed them reciepts for $30 podracers (from target and Walmart) they still were extremely negative.

With that said, Im really glad some of you had better customer service experience with TRU getting them to price match!

Lets hope this first year of pricematching between retailers gets better.

TRU clearly hasn't trained staff enough concerning pricematching and its only going to bite them back at a later date with bad publicity.

I aint going to dwell on it, meh.

but oh wells, peace everybody, happy Turkey day!

Every place I've tried to price match, Target, Wal-Mart & TRU. They always throw a fit when it's a very large amount. The City Mine from WalMart, now the Podracers from Target. They've all flat out say they won't do it b/c it's such a drastic amount. We're talking more than 50% off. I'm not suprrised they won't honor it or at least make you go through hopes. It's just upsetting when they'll gladly match 10-20% off, but more than 50% "It must be wrong" is a common phrase. Annoying.

I tried the TRU in Albuquerque and they showed me a letter from "Corporate" saying that they couldn't honor the price match because it was a "misprint". I didn't argue and just handed the CS girl the lego and said "nevermind then".
Still it doesn't matter if corporate said no to the price match or whether it was a misprint, they are suppose to honor that price no matter what.

tensor
Knight
Knight

Post by tensor » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:00 am

thehotsung wrote:Still it doesn't matter if corporate said no to the price match or whether it was a misprint, they are suppose to honor that price no matter what.
No, they are not. I recommend you read the fine print.

Brickred
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Brickred » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:14 am

Misleading ads rather baits to lure people into stores.
I haven't seen a single pod racer in target for last few days and I checked a few of them -
WAs anybody lucky in the ny metro area?
So I took the circular to TRU and guess what" No Price Match " right now.

brickarmor
Knight
Knight

Post by brickarmor » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:34 am

When my nearby Target absolutely refused to offer the same substitute on Monday that they had given me easily on Sunday (my nephew wanted the Batcave too) I pointed out that the ad was a bait and switch, "misprint" or not. The folks I dealt with on Sunday were polite, informed, and expedient; Monday it was all deceit (they told me blatant lies), denial, and stonewalling. Half an hour of arguing (I don't shout or rail, I'm simply logical and persistent) got nothing accomplished. Not a single manager did the one thing that would have ended the dispute in their favor: point to the fine print on the back of the flyer that says Target will not honor typographic or printographic errors, which is basically a self-proclaimed license to deceive. :down:
I will not go back until the Black Pearls are half off.

HokieJoe99
I'm New !

Post by HokieJoe99 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:38 am

There was a sign at the Target I just went to that said that the pod racers listed in the ad was an error and the correct set was Anakins ship. I did however manage to get Hulk's Helicarrier Breakout for $37.50 as an instant substitution for the Zombies being sold out. This combined with the $5 off coupon got the price of this down to $32.50. I also got a raincheck on the Zombies for $30 so I'm happy.

King
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by King » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:58 am

We never go out of the way to shop at TRU, but happened to be by one and had the Target ad in the car. Same experience as everyone else...

First they said "we are not price matching anything right now" and I pointed to the huge price match sticker on the window and mentioned that the website clearly said no price matching from the 22nd to the 25th and it was only the 20th.

Long discussion ensues and they then say "this is Target's Black Friday ad"...and I showed them that it was not.

They finally get on the radio and talk to someone else outlining the situation paying special attention to the price...."guy wants a $30 price match on a $95 set". Looooong pause.

"Um...we got an....um email saying that we couldn't do that" I asked for my ad back and walked out.

As a strange aside, TnB is serving me an ad right below this posting box that says "Lego sets $30 each" and it has a picture of the Podracers. Anyway...I did want to remind everyone of something that was mentioned above. Be sure to watch your Targets for substitutions when there are OOS sets. I have found that they will sometimes substitute a set that is already price matched making for a larger discount. This happened last year on some of the $20 PoTC sets that we marked down to $15 from WM. The substitution made them $12 or so.

King

thehotsung
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by thehotsung » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:50 am

King wrote:We never go out of the way to shop at TRU, but happened to be by one and had the Target ad in the car. Same experience as everyone else...

First they said "we are not price matching anything right now" and I pointed to the huge price match sticker on the window and mentioned that the website clearly said no price matching from the 22nd to the 25th and it was only the 20th.

Long discussion ensues and they then say "this is Target's Black Friday ad"...and I showed them that it was not.

They finally get on the radio and talk to someone else outlining the situation paying special attention to the price...."guy wants a $30 price match on a $95 set". Looooong pause.

"Um...we got an....um email saying that we couldn't do that" I asked for my ad back and walked out.

As a strange aside, TnB is serving me an ad right below this posting box that says "Lego sets $30 each" and it has a picture of the Podracers. Anyway...I did want to remind everyone of something that was mentioned above. Be sure to watch your Targets for substitutions when there are OOS sets. I have found that they will sometimes substitute a set that is already price matched making for a larger discount. This happened last year on some of the $20 PoTC sets that we marked down to $15 from WM. The substitution made them $12 or so.

King

What does OOS mean? What do you mean by substitute? I seen this a lot on here but I don't know what it is or how it work? Like the above poster saying he or she got a rain-check on the zombies and replace it with the Hulk or something like that.

Lastly, I make it no secret that I hate re sellers especially those who buy to sell for large profit instead of buying for parts or other modular building project, yet I must say I'm glad most of you guys got the deal from TRU because they deserve to be out of business. $160 for Helm Deep :down: ....sigh

King
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by King » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:52 pm

OOS = Out of Stock

Substitute is exactly as you stated. Some Targets (but not all) will mark down another set any time they put out a rain check, sometimes by the same %off as the original sale. In my experience it tends to be the same stores that take the time to provide substitutes. Other Targets either do nothing (leave the shelves empty) or just put out the rain check pads.

While we do not sell complete sets, we are one of the 20-25 largest parts sellers in the US. That said, the TRU we were at had about 12 of these in stock and we were trying to buy 2. It isn't like we rolled up a cart full of 10 of them. In the past we spent well into the five figures at TRU per year just on the sets we broke for parts and this year it is about 2-3K. (And that still earned us a coupon code ban even though we never used any coupon codes!)

King

MakoSlade
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by MakoSlade » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:49 am

The TRU on Staten Island did the price match on the Podracers, and let me buy two. The customer service rep was quite surprised at something they sell for $109.99 being sold elsewhere for so cheap.

thehotsung
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by thehotsung » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:21 pm

MakoSlade wrote:The TRU on Staten Island did the price match on the Podracers, and let me buy two. The customer service rep was quite surprised at something they sell for $109.99 being sold elsewhere for so cheap.
Congrats mate but I think it because your TRU is in a small place though I don't know where Staten island is but I'm guessing NY. Or if you get a new manager or not a mean manager then it would work. Also I'm glad you bought 2, way to stick it up to Tru!

zjygkmatt
Peasant
Peasant

Post by zjygkmatt » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:50 pm

I work at Target, I knew right away how horrible of an experience this would be right from the start. I also wasn't going out to TRU because I have had experiences with their own sales that left me waiting for price corrections.

You had a better chance at Walmart for this, given Target is their largest competitor. Grabbed the last one off the shelf luckily, brought it to a lone register, she couldn't override the price match, and told me I should go to the front registers where a manager is. Standing in long lines, the manager saw I had one item and brought me to one, and i said I actually need help with price matching. She assisted a cashier, who also couldnt override it, while kind of laughing and wowing at the price drop, the manager just asked for the page, and was able to over ride the price for me. I was very surprised and for once had a good experience at Walmart, which is rare. Im happy enough getting an $89.99 set for $30.00.