[This is a SCAM] Mersk Train ($87.88)

Share your LEGO Sales and LEGO Deals Finds here.
Forum rules
Please remember that Store Pricing topics should be placed in the "Retailer Discussions" Forum. If you find new LEGO products (and not on sale), please post in the "LEGO Availability" Forum.
Mazdabug
I'm New !

[This is a SCAM] Mersk Train ($87.88)

Post by Mazdabug » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:50 pm

Sweet price om Mersk Train Set.
$87.88
Link below.

{link redacted}

sweener
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Re: Mersk Train ($87.88)

Post by sweener » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:55 pm

Umm. Is this site safe to order from?

Shipping for me is $15 for 1 MT set.

Mazdabug
I'm New !

Post by Mazdabug » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:08 pm

Bought 2 sets to add to the one I have.

zak001
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by zak001 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:15 pm

Almost certainly a drop-ship scam. 33% off modulars? I wouldn't touch it with somebody else's ten-foot pole.

http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion ... -hombz-com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sweener
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by sweener » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:19 pm

zak001 wrote:Almost certainly a drop-ship scam. 33% off modulars? I wouldn't touch it with somebody else's ten-foot pole.

http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion ... -hombz-com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks!

anakinisvader
Knight
Knight

Post by anakinisvader » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:56 pm

This happened to me on Ebay. I bought a Republic Frigate from someone for $65. When it came in it was from TRU with some lady's name on it. I called ebay and they said there was nothing they could do about it. I called TRU customer service and they said that I needed to call ebay. I told them I did and TRU said there was nothing they could do about it. Not much else I can do if there is nothing they are willing to do about it.
Why do we drive on a parkway and park on a driveway?

tiggerthehun
Peasant
Peasant

Post by tiggerthehun » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:17 pm

If someone could enlighten me, Id appreciate it- Ive never heard of drop shipping till now. From what I googled, its a thing where a seller sells items that are then shipped by a 3rd party. So, these folks take money from someone who legitimately paid, but then collect again for the same item, and ship it to the second buyer? Im just having a hard time wrapping my head around this, as it always amazes naive me that people spend time thinking up nefarious plots.

SlickP
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by SlickP » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:41 pm

tiggerthehun wrote:If someone could enlighten me, Id appreciate it- Ive never heard of drop shipping till now. From what I googled, its a thing where a seller sells items that are then shipped by a 3rd party. So, these folks take money from someone who legitimately paid, but then collect again for the same item, and ship it to the second buyer? Im just having a hard time wrapping my head around this, as it always amazes naive me that people spend time thinking up nefarious plots.
Basically they get your money via PayPal but purchase the goods directly from toysrus, Lego, etc. using a stolen credit card # and "drop ship" it to your house.

tiggerthehun
Peasant
Peasant

Post by tiggerthehun » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:48 pm

Thats absolutely twisted... Who would even think of that? Thanks for explaining, however.

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Post by Legobrandon » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:00 pm

$99 for a Pet Shop? Way too good to be true.

meyerc13
Knight
Knight

Re: [This is a SCAM] Mersk Train ($87.88)

Post by meyerc13 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:34 pm

And the problem is, that you are the one receiving the stolen goods. For all TRU, LEGO, or whoever knows you are the one who entered the stolen credit card info. If you've fallen for one of these, get in front of it ASAP and keep all of your records in case the police show up at your door. Because when the victim of this crime gets their credit card statement, you can bet they'll be contacting the vendor that shipped the product... who may contact the police who may trace it back to you. You can then point it at the auction/site, but by that time they've likely vanished so the trail ends with you.

If it looks too good to be true, it probably is.

ezra
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by ezra » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:08 am

It seems really suspicious whenever I see a new account user in the forums with less than 10 posts is posting about a 'great deal'
:problem: :problem: :problem:
:think: :think: :think:

harry99
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by harry99 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:40 am

Hmm - that site sells lots of other stuff too. Are you sure it's a Scam? Comparatively low shipping charges to Canada.
Visit my BrickLink store - 10% off if you mention that you're a ToysNBricks member. http://www.BrickAssortments.com

brickity
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by brickity » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:39 am

meyerc13 wrote:And the problem is, that you are the one receiving the stolen goods. For all TRU, LEGO, or whoever knows you are the one who entered the stolen credit card info. If you've fallen for one of these, get in front of it ASAP and keep all of your records in case the police show up at your door. Because when the victim of this crime gets their credit card statement, you can bet they'll be contacting the vendor that shipped the product... who may contact the police who may trace it back to you. You can then point it at the auction/site, but by that time they've likely vanished so the trail ends with you.

If it looks too good to be true, it probably is.
But the trail doesn't end with you. Your payment would go to Paypal and would link to some sort of address or financial institution for the scammer to get his money. How do the scammers get away with this? Anyhow, it's certainly not worth the headache... I myself wouldn't go near this either.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:48 am

I've removed the link so no one gets click-happy without reading the rest of the info.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

Mazdabug
I'm New !

Post by Mazdabug » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:25 pm

FYI. Yes I'm new to this forum. I'm also new to the Lego scene. I found a good deal, so I posted it. How was I supposed to know that it may be fishey. If I do find a good deal online. I will not bother to post on this forum.
I post on the Pontiac solstice forums all the time. With a perfect record.
I been lurking on this forum to help me get started in Lego trains. Guess I will look and not talk. :silent:
ezra wrote:It seems really suspicious whenever I see a new account user in the forums with less than 10 posts is posting about a 'great deal'

lemus
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by lemus » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:45 pm

Mazdabug wrote:FYI. Yes I'm new to this forum. I'm also new to the Lego scene. I found a good deal, so I posted it. How was I supposed to know that it may be fishey. If I do find a good deal online. I will not bother to post on this forum.
I post on the Pontiac solstice forums all the time. With a perfect record.
I been lurking on this forum to help me get started in Lego trains. Guess I will look and not talk. :silent:
ezra wrote:It seems really suspicious whenever I see a new account user in the forums with less than 10 posts is posting about a 'great deal'

Um, I think you should not be discouraged by this incident. TNB is a great site because the users report good deals. Without all the reports from Seasoned and Newish members alike, TNB would not get the hot news on time.

I think the implied statement that you were part of the scam was totally unjustified. A quick search of your posts shows that indeed you came here to look for trains and I hope you stay for more LEGO as well.

As for wether the site is a scam or not: I read the Brickset forum link that zak001 posted and a couple people there CONFIRM that IT IS a DROPSHIP scam.

Mrcoolnup
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Mrcoolnup » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:01 pm

Yes...keep posting please. I just started seriously collecting Legos recently, and in my first week bought three items on eBay at great prices....that were all this credit card/drop ship scam. I received three boxes direct from Lego. I called both eBay and Lego.

Ebay acted like it was the first time they ever heard of such a thing and Lego said to just keep the products, as I did purchase them and to be sure to email them so my address was not blocked from making future purchases from Lego.com. I followed up with eBay and they never pursued it.

These incidents help us all learn and become aware...I am pretty sure I only found this site after web searching the scam and was shocked to learn it has been going on forever. I thought I was the first and going to help eBay stamp out fraud...lol.
Last edited by Mrcoolnup on Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:03 pm

Hi, Mazdabug - we thank you for alerting us to a seemingly good deal. It just so happens to be one of those "too good to be true" deals. As others have said, don't let this put a bad taste in your mouth. A great number of members here are just VERY good at spotting "real" deals and "scam" deals, and like you said, you didn't know. Now you do - hopefully you can put a "stop payment" on your order! That's the first thing I would have done, upon learning what unfolded previously.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

ricefields
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by ricefields » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:47 pm

tiggerthehun wrote:If someone could enlighten me, Id appreciate it- Ive never heard of drop shipping till now. From what I googled, its a thing where a seller sells items that are then shipped by a 3rd party. So, these folks take money from someone who legitimately paid, but then collect again for the same item, and ship it to the second buyer? Im just having a hard time wrapping my head around this, as it always amazes naive me that people spend time thinking up nefarious plots.
I am late to join this thread but what you describe is not drop shipping and don't mix up drop shipping with credit card scam. Drop shipping is a legitimate sale/shipping practice and there are companies that offer products for drop shipping and there are alot of ebay sellers that use drop shipping. If someone stole a credit card and uses drop shipping to enable the delivery its not drop shipping that's the problem.

I have done drop shipping in the past and its just one method to minimize inventory and avoid shipping hassles when there are willing participants: seller, buyer, shipper.