[USA] Toys R Us Buy 2 Get 3rd Free 9/16-9/22

Share your LEGO Sales and LEGO Deals Finds here.
Forum rules
Please remember that Store Pricing topics should be placed in the "Retailer Discussions" Forum. If you find new LEGO products (and not on sale), please post in the "LEGO Availability" Forum.
SingMok
I'm New !

Re: [USA] Toys R Us Buy 2 Get 3rd Free 9/16-9/22

Post by SingMok » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:37 pm

beartrapper25 wrote:I'm calling BS on all of the success stories on here about calls placed to TRU CS. I've made no less than 8 calls today and the best I've gotten is that the DS & SSD are not included, but we'll give you 15% off the entire order.
Tsetsetse89 and I placed two separate orders from two different representatives on Sept 16:
- Creator Tower Bridge and two Imperial Shuttles ($510.64 after tax and shipping), and
- Super Star Destroyer and two Death Stars (721.30 after tax and shipping).

Everything except for the two Death Stars arrived yesterday, almost all in perfect condition.

Here is a picture of the received items.

I thought I would go ahead and try my luck to get three modular buildings today. The first representative I spoke to was hesitant to apply the sales, and I explained to her that:
littlemic wrote:I do not know how to upload an image here... but if you go to TRU's website, click on the B2G3F advertisement on the main page. Under Featured Categories, it shows a box with title 'Buy 2 Get the 3rd FREE ALL LEGO Construction Sets & Board Games'. Under this box, click 'Show More', then it shows HARD TO FIND is included in this sale... they should totally honour the sale. for those who are planning to file a complain with it, pls remember to take a screenshot of this! :evil:
2. I explained the sale applies to all Lego "with the exception of Ninjago, Technic, Friends, video games & accessories).

The woman put me on hold for 10mins and immediately placed my order of Grand Emporium, Pet Shop, and Fire Brigade ($294.05 after tax and shipping). She didn't give the B2G1F promotion, rather she just gave me 40% off the entire transaction.

I did not come here to brag about my success stories, or to evaluate the TRU's marketing practice. There is no doubt that we were lucky to speak with the "right representatives". Be understanding and polite with them and hope they reciprocate. Sale is ending soon, don't give up and stay positive :up:

Good luck,

Sing Mok

tsetsetse89
Citizen
Citizen

Post by tsetsetse89 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:54 pm

This whole discussion about whether or not TRU is at fault is definitely a very grey area, and I think the best way to approach this controversy is to not be extremely one sided. As one of the world's largest major toy retailers, I do think that TRU is obligated by corporate social responsibility to create advertisements that fairly represent the sale they genuinely are trying to promote.

Yes, they have fine print and links to descriptions that detail the sale which may make them legally protected, but the fact that they advertise ALL lego construction sets and then need to program the sale to specifically not include exclusives and larger items, in my opinion, is not acting in the best interest of aligning the advertisement's purposes with what their customers should perceive.

While I do not agree with the way TRU has conducted their marketing, I am still grateful that this sale existed and wouldn't go so far as to file a complaint or taint their reputation in my eyes as far as much of this community has. Without this controversy, it would not have created the opportunity for us as customers to at least try to get a great deal out of this sale, which many of us have. In other words, what I'm trying to say is that if this sale didn't exist to begin with then none of us would have been able to get a good deal, as opposed to this sale offering an opportunity to make a great purchase that just isn't clearly defined.

sonofgun1776
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by sonofgun1776 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:25 pm

tsetsetse89 wrote:...In other words, what I'm trying to say is that if this sale didn't exist to begin with then none of us would have been able to get a good deal, as opposed to this sale offering an opportunity to make a great purchase that just isn't clearly defined.
If it didn't exist, many of us would not waste so much time and effort on Saturday night, some wait all the way until probably 4am with great expectation as understood from the ad. A retailer should not just go around raising all excitement/expectation for its customers and then disappoint us all. As big as TRU is, how much does it cost for them to have the ad correctly (or more accurate), and then not having to deal with this mess?
What pissed off most of us, i believe, is all of the lame excuse they'd give to people (including myself) to refuse to honor the ad. If they thought it was a mistake, then fix it. Through the entire week, i don't think there is a single change to the original ad as posted on Sunday. I am sure they have to have noticed the issue by now, and yet CS chose to honor the ad depending on what day, what time, the current mood of the whoever on the phone. That's inconsistency to me.
Our roll as customers is to spend money at retailers like these, not to put up with this mess from TRU.

tsetsetse89
Citizen
Citizen

Post by tsetsetse89 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:42 pm

sonofgun1776 wrote: If it didn't exist, many of us would not waste so much time and effort on Saturday night, some wait all the way until probably 4am with great expectation as understood from the ad. A retailer should not just go around raising all excitement/expectation for its customers and then disappoint us all.
The sale lasts over a period of time, it's just a matter of how much risk you're willing to take by ordering at a different time. I understand the concern that stock will run out, but that's an uncertainty that everyone has their own approach to.
sonofgun1776 wrote: As big as TRU is, how much does it cost for them to have the ad correctly (or more accurate), and then not having to deal with this mess?
What pissed off most of us, i believe, is all of the lame excuse they'd give to people (including myself) to refuse to honor the ad. If they thought it was a mistake, then fix it. Through the entire week, i don't think there is a single change to the original ad as posted on Sunday. I am sure they have to have noticed the issue by now, and yet CS chose to honor the ad depending on what day, what time, the current mood of the whoever on the phone. That's inconsistency to me.
If you read the other 75% of what I said, you wouldn't need to fixate on one thing and realize that you don't need to sell me on the fact that TRU made a mistake in their advertisement.

sonofgun1776
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by sonofgun1776 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:02 pm

tsetsetse89 wrote:
sonofgun1776 wrote: ...
If you read the other 75% of what I said, you wouldn't need to fixate on one thing and realize that you don't need to sell me on the fact that TRU made a mistake in their advertisement.
I wasn't trying to sell the idea that TRU made a mistake. Everybody knows its their mistake. Yet, they refuse to fix it AND refuse to honor the ad (mistake or not). So how should we take it then?

natelite
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by natelite » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:35 am

Just becoz some folks are quite vocal doesn't mean we all agree. I believe myself to be the silent majority who agree with scatmanjack. "further exclusions apply online" means just that. Yes, we all know about the marketing tactics of TRU by now, all means some and All means most and online sometimes can be better deal than in store but this round it wasn't. You have to take the good with the bad and the ugly.

When TRU had that pricing mistake did any of us hold off from exploiting it? No! So why when TRU legitimately state exclusion and online pricing did some go nuts over the exclusions?

TRU is a private business and not a social welfare. Just because some got lucky with CS doesn't mean everyone has to. If you got lucky then good for you. If you didn't you don't have to go Tom Cruise over it.

MitchMitchem
Citizen
Citizen

Post by MitchMitchem » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:40 pm

sonofgun1776 wrote:
tsetsetse89 wrote:
sonofgun1776 wrote: ...
I wasn't trying to sell the idea that TRU made a mistake. Everybody knows its their mistake. Yet, they refuse to fix it AND refuse to honor the ad (mistake or not). So how should we take it then?
Probably the same way everyone has taken it previously...silently. I wish more people would stand up for their rights as consumers and let TRU know their advertisements (and insane price markups) are stupid.

Luciant
Count
Count

Post by Luciant » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:53 pm

natelite wrote:Just becoz some folks are quite vocal doesn't mean we all agree. I believe myself to be the silent majority who agree with scatmanjack. "further exclusions apply online" means just that. Yes, we all know about the marketing tactics of TRU by now, all means some and All means most and online sometimes can be better deal than in store but this round it wasn't. You have to take the good with the bad and the ugly.

When TRU had that pricing mistake did any of us hold off from exploiting it? No! So why when TRU legitimately state exclusion and online pricing did some go nuts over the exclusions?

TRU is a private business and not a social welfare. Just because some got lucky with CS doesn't mean everyone has to. If you got lucky then good for you. If you didn't you don't have to go Tom Cruise over it.
+1 A lot here need to take a class on advertising, business law, and other such classes before clamoring on about illegal practices. Corporations spend lots on lawyers who let them know exactly how the law is interpreted so they can dance the line. They are a private company and can make up whatever rules they like to their sales. Now you as a consumer have the choice to decide if this type of behavior is where you want your money to go. I do not personally agree with what TRU does, so I choose not to spend money there.

Like Nate said... The numerous times TRU has had a "legitimate" sale backfire on them and probably end up costing them money rather than earning a profit, you will see posts (myself included) on how we "stuck it to them" and got them as much as we could. That's the dance we play with retailers. By the same outrage you have against them, shouldn't TRU be able to "sue" you for taking advantage of a glitch that was not part of the sale / advertising? If you don't agree with their practice, don't spend your money there. If enough people agree with you, they will feel it and change their practice.
I have mixed feelings about new releases: I can't wait to see and get the new sets... but I can't figure out where I'm gonna put them or store them.