[USA] Toys R Us Buy 2 Get 3rd Free 9/16-9/22

Share your LEGO Sales and LEGO Deals Finds here.
Forum rules
Please remember that Store Pricing topics should be placed in the "Retailer Discussions" Forum. If you find new LEGO products (and not on sale), please post in the "LEGO Availability" Forum.
zdog89
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Re: [USA] Toys R Us Buy 2 Get 3rd Free 9/16-9/22

Post by zdog89 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:11 pm

rebel wrote:
zdog89 wrote:I got minifigures b2 get 1 achieved 2 sets of series 8 plus three extra conquistadors. plus scored parking garage and kingdoms joust at 129.99 and got the mine 109.99 for free. plus jokers fun house and bat air attack? and got the new city advent calendar for free. I couldn't beleive they still had POP lego nearly every set still at retail it was insane.
where did u find kingdoms joust? I could't find it anywhere on TRU webpage.:(
I found it in store only one on the shelf out of three stores only one had it. not sure if maybe it was an online return or something i didnt think stores carried it.
-Chris

tensor
Knight
Knight

Post by tensor » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:49 pm

scatmanjack wrote:I concur with pumbaugh, this language was always there online for those that actually read the fine print. I discovered it Sunday AM while trying to order the two Winter sets for personal use. Obvious that they weren't part of the sale so I moved on. Was I sad, yes, but TRU has the right the charge what they want and I have the right to spend my money where I choose. There was even a link you could click to see which sets were part of the sale. Seems like a lot of people are pissed because they couldn't buy something cheap and them flip it on eBay for a profit. Well tough luck, move on.
Perhaps some do both, and perhaps some merely "speculate," rather than "flip."

Either way sir, it's not necessary to say "tough luck" to anyone who had an unfortunate situation with anything.

natelite
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by natelite » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:23 pm

zdog89 wrote: I found it in store only one on the shelf out of three stores only one had it. not sure if maybe it was an online return or something i didnt think stores carried it.
kingdom joust is available in the times square nyc flagship store. but i think it might be marked up even more than regular tru price. i'm not sure though. i know the store has every exclusive sets including DS and the creator modular buildings.

pumbaugh
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by pumbaugh » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:54 pm

sonofgun1776 wrote:
pumbaugh wrote:That was cut and paste directly from the details page of the sale online...so yes they are posted quite clearly in the terms of the sale online...people just don't click through on the item page it seems where it says (details) nest the the sale offer.
While i see your point and technically speaking, TRU has the right to refuse the Hard-to-find sets as they do say "additional exclusion may apply". However:

First, the statement "additional..." is hidden rather deep online. it is NOT our responsiblity as customers to dig deeper into their promo/system online. All we have is a "piece of ad paper". I do believe that the Lego Mindstorm set rings up as B2G1F in-store.

Second, i think that this argument of "additional ..." only works if we (the customers) have access to the internet. So, we can counterattack by saying "i receive the promo ad in the newspaper which does not exclude these sets X & Y. If TRU refuses to honor the ad, then show supportive reference for such refusal, else i call it false ad."

First...how is it hidden so deep online? It is one click away from the item page. It is a different color text hyperlinked directly to the details of the sale with parentheses around it to further draw attention to it.

Your second argument seems just as baffling...They offer more sets online than they do most stores. Other than flagship stores they do not regularly carry the 1xxxx sets in TRU stores. They do not wish to include those items in the sale. Why would they advertise in their B&M flyers that the sale excludes items you can't find in the stores anyways? Has anyone in the Times Square TRU been denied buying 3 Death Stars? Not that I have heard. I think it makes 100% total logic to mark the sale appropriately online, but not include the verbage in the print ad.

I am not a huge fan of TRU and most of my LEGO money for myself goes elsewhere, but I can not find much if any fault in this sale at all.

MitchMitchem
Citizen
Citizen

Post by MitchMitchem » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:21 pm

pumbaugh wrote:
sonofgun1776 wrote:
pumbaugh wrote:That was cut and paste directly from the details page of the sale online...so yes they are posted quite clearly in the terms of the sale online...people just don't click through on the item page it seems where it says (details) nest the the sale offer.
While i see your point and technically speaking, TRU has the right to refuse the Hard-to-find sets as they do say "additional exclusion may apply". However:

First, the statement "additional..." is hidden rather deep online. it is NOT our responsiblity as customers to dig deeper into their promo/system online. All we have is a "piece of ad paper". I do believe that the Lego Mindstorm set rings up as B2G1F in-store.

Second, i think that this argument of "additional ..." only works if we (the customers) have access to the internet. So, we can counterattack by saying "i receive the promo ad in the newspaper which does not exclude these sets X & Y. If TRU refuses to honor the ad, then show supportive reference for such refusal, else i call it false ad."

First...how is it hidden so deep online? It is one click away from the item page. It is a different color text hyperlinked directly to the details of the sale with parentheses around it to further draw attention to it.

Your second argument seems just as baffling...They offer more sets online than they do most stores. Other than flagship stores they do not regularly carry the 1xxxx sets in TRU stores. They do not wish to include those items in the sale. Why would they advertise in their B&M flyers that the sale excludes items you can't find in the stores anyways? Has anyone in the Times Square TRU been denied buying 3 Death Stars? Not that I have heard. I think it makes 100% total logic to mark the sale appropriately online, but not include the verbage in the print ad.

I am not a huge fan of TRU and most of my LEGO money for myself goes elsewhere, but I can not find much if any fault in this sale at all.
I'm not sure what is hard to follow, so here are the simple facts based on the printed ad:

1) The printed advertisement clearly states "ALL LEGO (excluding Ninjago, Technic, Friends, video games, accessories)."

2) There is nothing excluding the website from sales.

3) The printed ad even states that the sales prices are available online starting at 9am Eastern.

4) Nothing in the printed ad says that the promotion may be modified or cancelled at any time.

Conclusion: ToysRUs is refusing to honor their own advertisement and is willfully engaging in false advertisement.

sonofgun1776
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by sonofgun1776 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:42 pm

pumbaugh wrote:
sonofgun1776 wrote:

You said it yourself that the flagship stores carry those 1xxxx sets. I assume the "flagship stores" mean big a-- TRU stores that carry everything. Would those stores exclude those sets or flat out refuse to honor the ad? I guess probably not b/c they'd work based on the ad. If that is the case, then what gives the online the excuse to refuse to honor the ad?

And it takes 4 clicks to go to the "details" page where it says "additional...". Here's how:
1) at toysrus.com, click on the lego b2g1f promo
2) click on any theme
3) click on any set with red text "buy 2 get 3rd free"
4) click the "details"
If there is a shortcut straight to 4), please point it out to me.

Again, if i didn't have internet access, how am i, as a customer, supposed to figure out the "additional..." even exists?

slisa51
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by slisa51 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:33 pm

cbaker1974 wrote:Well, I just got my first set of orders delivered today and so far it's been a horror story.

I ordered about 20 items that were delivered today, and 70% of the items arrived with box damage, 3 or 4 sets look like someone of considerable weight sat on them. Packing job was horrible and pathetic.

To top it off, I ordered 6 Hogwarts Castles and instead got 2 City Garages and 4 Jabbas Palaces in their place. Of course they are OOS online now, so I called TRU...their rep said I could return them instore but only for instore credit, and couldn't exchange these for the correct item. I bought them at the cheaper price (129) so I'd have to end up paying more (149) to get the correct items...that's BS. Don't understand why I have to pay for their mistake.
I have the same situation. Most of the larger sets I ordered came smashed up. I also received a falcon that has been opened and taped back closed with packing tape. I will probably take a few sets back to the store to switch for new boxes. I let them know that these a Christmas presents and cannot be given in this condition. On the good side, I think I received a duplicate order for 3 sets and was only charged once.

slisa51
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by slisa51 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:46 pm

natelite wrote:
zdog89 wrote: I found it in store only one on the shelf out of three stores only one had it. not sure if maybe it was an online return or something i didnt think stores carried it.
kingdom joust is available in the times square nyc flagship store. but i think it might be marked up even more than regular tru price. i'm not sure though. i know the store has every exclusive sets including DS and the creator modular buildings.
I live very close to the times square store and they usually have all the exclusive/hard to find sets in stock but they are marked up. I know the tower bridge is 268.99 there and most of the others are marked up about 10% and the sales tax is just under 9%. Plus the boxes are usually very beat up because they have those wire anti theft devices on them and are constantly dragged around the store by them.

ryanb
I'm New !

Post by ryanb » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:51 pm

boo ya! I must be one of the lucky ones! :o) I got the stuff today - 2 DS and 1 SSD all in pretty good box condition (nothing crazy besides a bit of smushing on one edge).
Wife checked CC statement and it had $788.37 as total charged. That was not what i was told when I first ordered it (736.79)? So i got the calc out and tried to figure it out. I could see how they got the 788 by including shipping THEN charging tax...

BUT

for the heck of it, i called up to see what they could do since it was a diff total than guy # 1 gave me when ordering. (the guy made my wife get out of bed and confirm it was ok to talk to me {so dumb}), but got it done, put me on hold to try to figure out what was up....... and came back on and told me he was doing a $52 credit bringing my total for the 3 shipped to......
$736.37

or $245.46 each shipped :O) not too shabby. now to hold on to 1 or 2 of them or unload them on the bay NOW???

pumbaugh
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by pumbaugh » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:52 pm

sonofgun1776 wrote:
pumbaugh wrote:
sonofgun1776 wrote:

You said it yourself that the flagship stores carry those 1xxxx sets. I assume the "flagship stores" mean big a-- TRU stores that carry everything. Would those stores exclude those sets or flat out refuse to honor the ad? I guess probably not b/c they'd work based on the ad. If that is the case, then what gives the online the excuse to refuse to honor the ad?

And it takes 4 clicks to go to the "details" page where it says "additional...". Here's how:
2) click on any theme
4) click the "details"

Again, if i didn't have internet access, how am i, as a customer, supposed to figure out the "additional..." even exists?
It is directly on each item page...I do not know how many more places you wish for them to put it? A link on every item seems very generous.

And to your point of why should they include them in flagship stores and not online? The flagship stores carry them at a premium price. If you think online TRU prices are a shocker TRU flagship prices can be an additional 10% higher or so if not more. Makes MSRP for the modulars and DS/SSD seem like a sale already ;)

fai
Citizen
Citizen

Post by fai » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:52 am

I placed an order for 2 DS & 1 SSD by phone on Sunday. The representative told me that he needed to charge me all three items in front. However, I will get the credit for the third item when those items get ship out from the warehouse.
I called the CS this morning regarding the credit. I have been talked to three people and on-hold for almost an hour. Finally, the lady told me that she could not credit me the $360, because those items are not qualified for B2G1F. She could only give me 10% discount. I refused her offer and waiting for someone to call me back.
Please be aware if you ordered the same items as me.

ss7man
Peasant
Peasant

Post by ss7man » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:17 am

Enjoy the toy and return it. They have monkeys running a circus act

csaunders_24
I'm New !

Post by csaunders_24 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:40 am

For those that needed proof of the credit being issued after the items have shipped, here you go. I order a FB, GE, and PE Modulars. Got the credit email yesterday. Total was $494.97 and after credit total is $330.36. Not bad for 3 modulars.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

liisadd56
I'm New !

Post by liisadd56 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:52 pm

I never got that email. I just called and apparently the girl who gave me the credit "forgot" to click to send me one, even though I asked her three times if I would be getting an email specifically relating to the credit. They also told me it would take 7-10 business days for the credit to completely process. Originally, I was told that it would take 2-3 days on their end, as well as any additional time the bank may require. It has been 4 days since my order, and my packages just arrived on my doorstep today - and yet, no credit.

Gooker1
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Gooker1 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:45 pm

csaunders_24 wrote:For those that needed proof of the credit being issued after the items have shipped, here you go. I order a FB, GE, and PE Modulars. Got the credit email yesterday. Total was $494.97 and after credit total is $330.36. Not bad for 3 modulars.
I'm waiting for that email too. Haha

Hopefully it will come soon.

legodork
Peasant
Peasant

Post by legodork » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:47 pm

pumbaugh wrote:
sonofgun1776 wrote:
pumbaugh wrote:
sonofgun1776 wrote:

2) click on any theme
4) click the "details"

It is directly on each item page...I do not know how many more places you wish for them to put it? A link on every item seems very generous.

And to your point of why should they include them in flagship stores and not online? The flagship stores carry them at a premium price. If you think online TRU prices are a shocker TRU flagship prices can be an additional 10% higher or so if not more. Makes MSRP for the modulars and DS/SSD seem like a sale already ;)
Perhaps people are taking exception to the fact that, while the clause "Additional exclusions apply online" is in the "Details" popup window, as you correctly mention, it is conspicuously absent in the other three places on its website that advertises the deal, namely its homepage, the ad page, and the LEGO page, all of which include the clause "Excludes Ninjago, Technic, Friends, video games and accessories," and two of which (the ad page and the LEGO page) include the clause "Free item must be of equal or lesser value to the lowest priced item purchased."

More curiously, in none of the above described locations can one find the link to the "Details" popup window.

Finally, the direct link from the ad "Buy Online" button takes you to the LEGO page that lists all LEGO themes/items, including the "Hard to Find" items, and not just to the B2G1 eligible items. From what I can tell, there is no way to search for just the eligible items unless one uses the "View Eligible Items" link that is available only in the "Details" popup window.

All this is to simply say that I sympathize with those who were annoyed and frustrated by what they felt was TRU's sleight of hand (I might not be using that idiom correctly but you get my drift).

MitchMitchem
Citizen
Citizen

Post by MitchMitchem » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:04 pm

It isn't slight of hand. It is false advertising. They are refusing to honor their own advertisement.

I'm surprised more people aren't bothered by the arbitrary exclusions of high priced items in a sale that clearly states "ALL LEGO".

jefflord
Citizen
Citizen

Post by jefflord » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:09 pm

I received most of the rest of my B2G1 free order today ... I'm just waiting on one more set.

Appx half of my sets arrived in plain boxes with air pillows inside to cushion the sets. All of the plain boxes were the same size, but the number of sets inside varied from 1 to 3. Though it was wasteful packaging (and not the way Amazon would ever do it), all of the sets shipped in this manner arrived in very good shape.

The other half of my sets arrived in the boxes Lego uses when they ship sets to TRU (you may have seen these in a store aisle sometime). It appears that TRU staff simply relabeled these boxes and sent them on to me. Unfortunately, these boxes do not contain any padding. They apparently are designed to fit various Lego sets quite tightly, which I'm guessing works for Lego at a wholesale level. But I don't think these boxes were meant to be used for retail commercial shipments via shippers like UPS or FedEx. It is just a hunch, but I suspect the Lego company would not be very happy to learn that TRU shipped out some of its sets this way.

I received 5 of these boxes. The flaps on 3 of them had not been resealed and were held together only by a sticker packet that held my invoice. Fortunately, the sets are so tightly packed within the boxes that there was no real danger they would fall out. The corners of 2 of the 5 boxes were crushed. The bottom side of a third box was also crushed. And the large side of 2 of the boxes was partially collapsed, as if a very heavy but smaller box had been placed on top of it.

My hunch is that these boxes were pristine and undamaged when they arrived at TRU's facilities. That is pure conjecture ... I don't have any evidence for it, so I could be wrong. And I'm trying hard to be objective and not just a knee-jerk TRU basher. But I'm not going to make excuses for them either. And though it is not evidence of what happened this time, the sets I have received from orders with Lego.com are among the best packaged goods I have ever received from any company.

I'm going to return 4 of the 10 sets that arrived in these boxes. 2 of the 4 damaged boxes are badly crushed and look like the sort of thing you would expect to see on a heavily discounted "as is/damaged goods" shelf.

This is probably a lot more info than anyone wanted, but I thought I would add it to help fill out the record that has been built in this thread. Let me know if you have any questions.

sonofgun1776
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by sonofgun1776 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:13 pm

legodork wrote:
pumbaugh wrote:
sonofgun1776 wrote:
pumbaugh wrote:
sonofgun1776 wrote:
pumbaugh wrote:.....

2) click on any theme
4) click the "details"

Perhaps people are taking exception to the fact that, while the clause "Additional exclusions apply online" is in the "Details" popup window, as you correctly mention, it is conspicuously absent in the other three places on its website that advertises the deal, namely its homepage, the ad page, and the LEGO page, all of which include the clause "Excludes Ninjago, Technic, Friends, video games and accessories," and two of which (the ad page and the LEGO page) include the clause "Free item must be of equal or lesser value to the lowest priced item purchased."

More curiously, in none of the above described locations can one find the link to the "Details" popup window.

Finally, the direct link from the ad "Buy Online" button takes you to the LEGO page that lists all LEGO themes/items, including the "Hard to Find" items, and not just to the B2G1 eligible items. From what I can tell, there is no way to search for just the eligible items unless one uses the "View Eligible Items" link that is available only in the "Details" popup window.

All this is to simply say that I sympathize with those who were annoyed and frustrated by what they felt was TRU's sleight of hand (I might not be using that idiom correctly but you get my drift).
I did mention how to get to that "Details" pop up in 4 steps. Again, that's a lot of efforts for us customers.

jefflord
Citizen
Citizen

Post by jefflord » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:31 pm

In case it is useful, it appears the only two large sets that TRU is offering at MSRP that are eligible for the B2G1 free sale are Robie House (21010) and Falling Water (21005).

I've read a little of the back and forth evaluating TRU's conduct. I don't want to sound disrespectful or critical but believe some of what I read misses the most important point. Whether or not they fall inside or outside the letter of the law and various truth-in-advertising regulations, TRU's business practices are appalling. We would never teach aspiring business leaders to market to the public in this way. All they needed to do to correct the most egregious and prominent of their misleading materials is change a single word: just replace "all" with "most." Had they done so, then every potential customer would be on notice immediately that there some Lego sets were not on sale.

Finally, I think TRU deserves special contempt for their marketing of sets like the Batcave, which they contend is on sale AND eligible for the B2G1 free sale. The "sale" simply reduces the TRU's price from a hyper-inflated 30% above MSRP to a stll signficantly inflated 13% above MSRP. If it is TRU's goal to be the nation's leading toy retailer, this seems like a really shabby and ultimately counterproductive way to go about it.