[USA] Toys R Us Buy 2 Get 3rd Free 9/16-9/22

Share your LEGO Sales and LEGO Deals Finds here.
Forum rules
Please remember that Store Pricing topics should be placed in the "Retailer Discussions" Forum. If you find new LEGO products (and not on sale), please post in the "LEGO Availability" Forum.
wastedbrain
I'm New !

Re: [USA] Toys R Us Buy 2 Get 3rd Free 9/16-9/22

Post by wastedbrain » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:53 am

They didn't raise their prices though. They removed the old sale.

Edmond Dantes
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by Edmond Dantes » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:53 am

meyerc13 wrote:Folks - you need to call your State's Consumer Protection/Affairs Department. It's illegal for them to say it is a Buy two get one free *sale,* but then raise their prices the day of the sale - which is exactly what they did. If enough people complain, the state can initiate action against TRU.
While there were many sketchy issues with the sale, this wasn't one of them. They just ended a previous sale later than the actual deadline, so for ~9 hours there were two sales running concurrently. They then brought prices back to their normal level (which is usually MSRP + 10%).

Yogibara
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by Yogibara » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:58 am

TRU can suck it. Amazon loves my money and doesn't try to rip me off.

beartrapper25
Knight
Knight

Post by beartrapper25 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:27 am

Is there any reason that you couldn't buy three of the same set, and return two just to get the 33% off?

starfailure
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by starfailure » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:01 am

beartrapper25 wrote:Is there any reason that you couldn't buy three of the same set, and return two just to get the 33% off?
Not that I condone this kind of activity, but if you return without a receipt, I think they'll just give you the lowest sale price.

As in, if you buy three Y-wings for 54.99x2 ($110) and return two without a receipt, I think they'll issue you 44.99 each (for example)

beartrapper25
Knight
Knight

Post by beartrapper25 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:07 am

I'd be concerned that without a receipt they would issue store credit.

Morgan19
Knight
Knight

Post by Morgan19 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:12 am

I don't think stores are quite that stupid... :lol:

With any instance I've heard of this, they always require you to either return all three BOGO items or, if you do a partial return, they'll adjust the cost you're refunded so you're basically paying full-price for that third item.

m19

crazybirdman
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by crazybirdman » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:31 am

Morgan19 wrote:I don't think stores are quite that stupid... :lol:

With any instance I've heard of this, they always require you to either return all three BOGO items or, if you do a partial return, they'll adjust the cost you're refunded so you're basically paying full-price for that third item.

m19
This is true. The receipt (and your rewards card) keep record of the purchase and will adjust the price accordingly. Maybe you could get a full store credit if you say it was a gift?

starfailure
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by starfailure » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:07 pm

beartrapper25 wrote:I'd be concerned that without a receipt they would issue store credit.
This could be true, however, if you don't have a receipt, they can't assume you bought three items if you're only returning two... obviously.

starfailure
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by starfailure » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:13 pm

The other day, I bought the Y-Wing at 54.99 with the 30% promo. They next day, it had a price-drop (sale?) to 49.99, so when I picked it up, I asked for a price adjustment.
For some reason, they couldn't return it with the receipt -- maybe because I'd paid with Paypal -- so they did some sort of return-w/o-receipt and re-sale. Well, apparently, their system is not very sophisticated because they ended up giving me $10.60 back in cash knowing very well that the cost difference would've only been a about $1.50.

rebel
Citizen
Citizen

Post by rebel » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:19 pm

Edmond Dantes wrote:
meyerc13 wrote:Folks - you need to call your State's Consumer Protection/Affairs Department. It's illegal for them to say it is a Buy two get one free *sale,* but then raise their prices the day of the sale - which is exactly what they did. If enough people complain, the state can initiate action against TRU.
While there were many sketchy issues with the sale, this wasn't one of them. They just ended a previous sale later than the actual deadline, so for ~9 hours there were two sales running concurrently. They then brought prices back to their normal level (which is usually MSRP + 10%).
OMG It seems I had missed the biggest event of my life

Luciant
Count
Count

Post by Luciant » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:08 pm

beartrapper25 wrote:Is there any reason that you couldn't buy three of the same set, and return two just to get the 33% off?
Technically you really could. Last year, TRU wasn't very smart and you could in fact return the two sets you paid for and keep the 1 set you got Free or at 90% off. You could do this to get the "freebies" as well and return the purchases... very useful during last year's bricktober when the sales were terrible. The only downside to this, is you are generally returning "on-line" purchases, which will only give you store-credit back even with a receipt.

Now a days, TRU has put a value on the freebies and fixed their return system so that if you return an item that was "Bogo 50% or B2G1F", the system divides the discount by all items within the purchase so if you do return something you will only get the partial discount instead of the full discount like before.

I.E. I buy 2 sets for $99.99. Set A rings up $99.99 while Set B rings $49.99. In the past you could return Set A, and keep Set B and essentially get 50% off. Now, they make it so even if you return the item they charged $99.99 for, you will only get $74.99 back for it like Target has been doing forever.
I have mixed feelings about new releases: I can't wait to see and get the new sets... but I can't figure out where I'm gonna put them or store them.

legoInsano
I'm New !

Post by legoInsano » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:27 pm

Guys,
For those that were able to get price adjusted on the Death Star (x2) and the Super Star Destroyer by calling TRU customer service, would any of you be able to post a picture of the order confirmation of the price adjustment (of course, take out your personal information)? I called and was flat-out denied the adjustment, with the lame reason that the red text "Buy 2 get 3rd free" does not appear under those sets so they are not qualified for it. Our customers' position on this issue now is:
1) if they refuse to honor the ad with that lame excuse, or an even lamer excuse (free shipping is already a promotion and cannot be combined with other promotion, i.e. B2G1F????), then that's essentially false ad. These sets (and creastors, etc) are not on the exclusion list.
2) if they adjusted for some people, but not others, then it's some sort of discrimination.

I really want to stick it to TRU this round. Yes/No/Maybe?

janckson
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by janckson » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:39 pm

legoInsano wrote:Guys,
For those that were able to get price adjusted on the Death Star (x2) and the Super Star Destroyer by calling TRU customer service, would any of you be able to post a picture of the order confirmation of the price adjustment (of course, take out your personal information)? I called and was flat-out denied the adjustment, with the lame reason that the red text "Buy 2 get 3rd free" does not appear under those sets so they are not qualified for it. Our customers' position on this issue now is:
1) if they refuse to honor the ad with that lame excuse, or an even lamer excuse (free shipping is already a promotion and cannot be combined with other promotion, i.e. B2G1F????), then that's essentially false ad. These sets (and creastors, etc) are not on the exclusion list.
2) if they adjusted for some people, but not others, then it's some sort of discrimination.

You can't be nice about if you want it to work. Stand your ground and ask for a supervisor.

DarthMC
Peasant
Peasant

Post by DarthMC » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:28 pm

On the plus side, the Series 8 figures are still on sale for 3.19 in store and ARE part of the sale so they are around $2.13 each. Unlike the web site where you were limited to 3, you can get as many as you want in store.

DarthMC

legoInsano
I'm New !

Post by legoInsano » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:48 pm

janckson wrote:
legoInsano wrote:Guys,

You can't be nice about if you want it to work. Stand your ground and ask for a supervisor.

I was talking to THE supervisor and she absolutely refused to honor the ad. I wasn't hostile or anything like that at all, and the answer was still no. When it comes to argument it's all about what is written down, right? For us, we have the ad as basis. They got nothing except for the lame a-- excuses that i posted. I especially hate how they have the nerve to call "free shipping" a promotion.
Last edited by legoInsano on Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zdog89
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by zdog89 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:46 pm

I got minifigures b2 get 1 achieved 2 sets of series 8 plus three extra conquistadors. plus scored parking garage and kingdoms joust at 129.99 and got the mine 109.99 for free. plus jokers fun house and bat air attack? and got the new city advent calendar for free. I couldn't beleive they still had POP lego nearly every set still at retail it was insane.
-Chris

rebel
Citizen
Citizen

Post by rebel » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:08 pm

zdog89 wrote:I got minifigures b2 get 1 achieved 2 sets of series 8 plus three extra conquistadors. plus scored parking garage and kingdoms joust at 129.99 and got the mine 109.99 for free. plus jokers fun house and bat air attack? and got the new city advent calendar for free. I couldn't beleive they still had POP lego nearly every set still at retail it was insane.
where did u find kingdoms joust? I could't find it anywhere on TRU webpage.:(

sterlingice
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by sterlingice » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:30 pm

I picked up 3 minifigs but my TRU had already been cleaned of conquistadors :(

I also picked up 3 of the Star Wars planet sets

And the nice lady working there threw in a Frodo polybag for free :D

So, 3 minifigs, 3 planets, and a Frodo for <$30. Not a bad haul at all

kwkw
Knight
Knight

Post by kwkw » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:50 pm

I just had a pleasant experience at TRU...my world has been flipped upside down...the cs lady was really nice we chatted about our mutual love of Lego and she even helped me feel for the series 7 figs that i wanted, she needs to become the head of HR or something cause she is everything a cs rep should be, but knowing TRU they will probably fire her :(