Steal of a Deal / Recent LEGO Purchases

Share your LEGO Sales and LEGO Deals Finds here.
Forum rules
Please remember that Store Pricing topics should be placed in the "Retailer Discussions" Forum. If you find new LEGO products (and not on sale), please post in the "LEGO Availability" Forum.
vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Re: Steal of a Deal (the thread for braggin')

Post by vynsane » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:59 am

I bought two 5985 Space Police Central sets when they were on sale for $59.49 (and a Prison Carriage Rescue for my daughter) during the first week of Bricktober at TRU. With a $10 off $50 coupon bringing the SPC's down to $54.87 each and the 10% off the Carriage Rescue set plus another $0.76 off (since they break up the $10 off amongst all purchases), the total was $128.53.

I finally got around to parting out one of the 5985's on Bricklink yesterday, the tally of the pieces being $121 and change. So basically I'll be getting a 5985 and Prison Carriage Rescue for, like, $7.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

smilyremhof
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by smilyremhof » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:01 am

Just got the Kingdoms 7948 Outpost Attack at Farm-n-Fleet Toyland for $16.48.

Brickbuilder0937
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by Brickbuilder0937 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:27 am

I picked up two 7593 construct-a-buzz at K-mart on sunday for $3 each, that's what I call a major pricing error :shock:

BlacktronManic
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by BlacktronManic » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:25 pm

Brickbuilder0937 wrote:I picked up two 7593 construct-a-buzz at K-mart on sunday for $3 each, that's what I call a major pricing error :shock:
I wish they did that here in Canada, that would be a great Christmas gift around here. Besides getting Buzz for $3 what kid won't like that, and as an AFOL, I think that set would be nice to have on my desk for show.

BrickUpdate
Knight
Knight

AMAZING LEGO collection at estate sale

Post by BrickUpdate » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:47 pm

I found the most amazing collection of LEGO at an estate sale today. It's quite a story...

I knew there would be LEGO there, so I got to the sale WAY WAY WAY early. I ensured I was first in line, and saw a ton of LEGO through the window. They were strict about opening at a certain time. When we were let in, I asked one of the helpers how much for everything. There were 5 Star Wars models on a shelf, and about 9 large containers of LEGOs, plus boxes for things such as Tantive IV and Millenium Falcon, plus a crate or two just of instruction manuals. Probably 300 lbs of LEGO.

He wanted me to make an offer, and people started hovering. I pressed him for a price, and he finally said "4." I said "DEAL!" and got out my wallet, counting out $400 dollars. Once he begins counting, and see that I stopped giving him money, he stops and says: "No, $4,000."

He represented an estate sale firm, and the owners of the house & LEGO told him they spent tends of thousands of dollars on the LEGO. (Seriously)

This was all for their kid who was now about 13 or 14. He had EVERYTHING from about 2000-2006. All the Star Wars, Harry Potter, Technic, and everything in between.

Then, a new piece of info came out: there were no minifigs! The owners took them all out because they knew they were worth money. It was a really bizarre scenario.

Others around me wanted the LEGO too, but balked at the price. In the end, the wanted to sell it by the pound, with some of the pre-built models going for $40-$75. But they had no minifigs and had pieces missing, scattered through thousands of other LEGOs.

In the end, I dug through, collecting a small box of pieces, and found some minifigs they missed. Maybe about 35-40 total, but most were not complete. I'm trying to embed a photo of the best of them below. If that doesn't work, here's a photo on my Flickr page:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/brickupdate/5129887592/

The other LEGO I bought was mostly the light green from the Harry Potter sets.
I went back at the end of the day, and they were more reasonable, but it was picked through. In the end, I didn't have the physical or mental space to deal with crates and crates of LEGO pieces.

Just wanted to share the story!

koromo
Knight
Knight

Re: What lego did I buy today thread

Post by koromo » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:57 pm

Just a general observation that Ive been picking up more sets since I got on to Brickset and TNB, or rather I got on to Brickset and TNB since I have been picking up more sets. Or really just there are more deals lately leading up to the holidays. It's all good I guess, long as I'm happy with the finds for myself and the toy drive bin.
Lego Fan based in Seacoast Area of New Hampshire.

JabbaT
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by JabbaT » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:21 pm

koromo wrote:Just a general observation that Ive been picking up more sets since I got on to Brickset and TNB, or rather I got on to Brickset and TNB since I have been picking up more sets. Or really just there are more deals lately leading up to the holidays. It's all good I guess, long as I'm happy with the finds for myself and the toy drive bin.
100% agreed with you. I've been spending much more money on lego ever since I found out about TnB. Its like the best site for sales and deals. :D The bad thing is that its making me poor now. :(

locutis
Citizen
Citizen

Post by locutis » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:28 am

Went to my local TrU this morning and picked up:

- Lego Creator Fire Engine 6752 ($20 off)
- Lego Creator Car Transporter 6753 ($25 off)

Now, this was all I intended to buy, but I was drawn in on their Lego Castles/Kingdoms sale there. If you buy two you get 15% off, if you buy 3 you get 25% off. Now, the Kings Castle was already $20 off, so I asked how this worked, and they said their till just adds the three together and subtracts 25% off of the total. So, I picked up:
- Lego Kings Castle 7946 (already $20 off)
- Lego Prison Carriage Rescue 7949
- Lego Outpost Attack 7948
All 3 were a total of 25% off, plus the Kings Castle was already $20 off. I paid $118 Canadian (remember that Canadian prices are usually 20-30% higher than the US$ Counterpart) including all taxes. These three would regularly cost $130+28+15=$173 + taxes.

Plus! I got the Lego Santa Claus fridge magnet, and two gift cards for $10 off next Lego purchase.
All your Lego will be assimilated with mine. Resistance is futile.

bluebunny
I'm New !

Post by bluebunny » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:09 pm

I bought 5 series 2 minifigures for the kids. They were excited to open them but were a bit sad at first to see 2 the same. They got 2 lifeguards, 1 witch, 1 vampire, and 1 disco dude. Too bad I didn't get those before Halloween though!

lady_bricker
Peasant
Peasant

Post by lady_bricker » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:30 am

made a round of lego-selling stores with a stack of coupons and purchased a pile of xmas lego including lego beach house (4996) for 30% off (borders), HP quidditch match (4737) for 25% off list (barnes & noble), and the polybag sets from target and TRU. TRU gave us their last remaining bricktober minifig (the knight) and a handful of HP keychains (with a shield printed on a flat tile with a few studs -- same promo given out mid-year for the HP lego video game). we also managed to complete our series 2 minifig collection at meijer, which sells them for $1.99 each in their stocking stuffer aisle.

our target evidently sold out immediately of their HP sets for their BOGO offer, and they had only one POP set left. the only HP sets on the shelf were a few dobbys (4736). they did have plenty of polybags, though -- the x-wing, powerboat/jetski (?), TS jeep & army guy, and i feel like there was one more i've forgotten. they also had the lego guy keychains that light up; the minifig dude is oversized. very cute. the same keychains were a dollar less apiece at meijer, though, so buy them there.

jeffrach
I'm New !

Post by jeffrach » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:49 pm

Great find on a PoP 7570 - Ostrich Race. Last one on the shelf at Walmart. Paid only $5! I thought I was getting a good deal for $17, which it was marked as. Went back to try my luck on the only other PoP set they had left. Paid $29 for 7572 - Quest Against Time.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:37 am

jeffrach wrote:Great find on a PoP 7570 - Ostrich Race. Last one on the shelf at Walmart. Paid only $5! I thought I was getting a good deal for $17, which it was marked as. Went back to try my luck on the only other PoP set they had left. Paid $29 for 7572 - Quest Against Time.
Nice, that's a steal. I got Ostrich Race for $10, Fight for the Dagger for $21, Quest Against Time (x2) for $30 and Battle of Alamut for $50 the other day.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

mrfootball
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by mrfootball » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:03 pm

Went to TRU today and spied a bunch of "Bricktober" promo figures under the Customer Service counter. I asked "How can I get some of those of those Lego Bricktober figures?" and the manager promptly handed me two handfuls of them along with armfuls of other TRU promo items they had back there. Got some really nice stocking stuffers. All FREE! Thank you TRU!

BobaFett2
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by BobaFett2 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:00 pm

Wow...I never get deals. I don't know if I'm just impatient-but I now have a tight budget, and I never know when to buy or not....and don't like going places to check prices.
MOCpages Account
FlickR Photostream
I post a lot of reviews in the reviews forum! Check them out!

dr_spock
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dr_spock » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:12 pm

Pick A Brick order.

legohunter
Count
Count

Post by legohunter » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:22 am

jeffrach wrote:Great find on a PoP 7570 - Ostrich Race. Last one on the shelf at Walmart. Paid only $5! I thought I was getting a good deal for $17, which it was marked as. Went back to try my luck on the only other PoP set they had left. Paid $29 for 7572 - Quest Against Time.
That was a very good deal. It is too bad that Canada walmart will not mark the price down as low as U.S. Besides that, Canada walmart has never reduced the price. :(

lady_bricker
Peasant
Peasant

Post by lady_bricker » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:33 am

took advantage of TRU's BOGOHO sale to buy the medieval village and the public transport set online. unfortunately the winter toy shop sold out before i could get it. TRU code is 941747.

mztexas
I'm New !

Post by mztexas » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:39 pm

Had amazing luck! I ordred a Hogwart's Castle 4842 online from a store. I called 3 days later and asked why it had not shipped and they told me their system crashed the same day I placed my order. They then proceeded to tell me that they would be shipping out my set within a day or two. Apparently the system crash was to my advantage!! I checked online after my call with them and it showed that my order was cancelled in the system. I was going to call back and raise hell when my doorbell rings... It is the UPS guy! He has 3 boxes for me. I open the boxes and to my surprise they mailed me 6 sets! I checked my credit card statement and NO charge was ever put through on my card. I got 6 sets for FREE!!!! I have started posting them on ebay for $39.99 each starting bid since I got 6 sets for FREE!!!! Yee HAA!! :D :lol: ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hodgeman
Knight
Knight

Post by Hodgeman » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:03 pm

mztexas wrote:Had amazing luck! I ordred a Hogwart's Castle 4842 online from a store. I called 3 days later and asked why it had not shipped and they told me their system crashed the same day I placed my order. They then proceeded to tell me that they would be shipping out my set within a day or two. Apparently the system crash was to my advantage!! I checked online after my call with them and it showed that my order was cancelled in the system. I was going to call back and raise hell when my doorbell rings... It is the UPS guy! He has 3 boxes for me. I open the boxes and to my surprise they mailed me 6 sets! I checked my credit card statement and NO charge was ever put through on my card. I got 6 sets for FREE!!!! I have started posting them on ebay for $39.99 each starting bid since I got 6 sets for FREE!!!! Yee HAA!! :D :lol: ;)
Uhhh... I'm speechless. Not because you got six sets, but because you've already posted them on ebay like they belong to you. That really is a "steal".
LEGO, it's not just a toy, it's an addiction... ;)

koromo
Knight
Knight

Post by koromo » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:30 pm

Picked up the Endor set and got a $10gc and free playmat. Going back one last time for the at-at and use two $10gc from earlier this month to drop the price to $89.99 get another placemat and add the placemats and some undecided bogo50 sets to my toy drive bin. I might opt to get some clearance or bundle sets at walmart instead. After that I'm avoiding the stores for a while...
Lego Fan based in Seacoast Area of New Hampshire.