Steal of a Deal / Recent LEGO Purchases

Share your LEGO Sales and LEGO Deals Finds here.
Forum rules
Please remember that Store Pricing topics should be placed in the "Retailer Discussions" Forum. If you find new LEGO products (and not on sale), please post in the "LEGO Availability" Forum.
chris2348
Peasant
Peasant

Re: Steal of a Deal / Recent LEGO Purchases

Post by chris2348 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:42 pm

ricefields wrote:Travelled from Toronto to Detroit for a wedding and decided to stop by a Target after. Found a london tower set at target for $168!! Retails for $240US or $300cdn. Someone bought it online and returned it to a store still sealed and the stored marked it down with 30% off. Exclusives in a store outside of a lego store and on sale are such a rare find...definitely one of my top finds!
Wow! Great find!

unclephn
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by unclephn » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:18 am

I just came from my local Mastermind (a Canadian toys, books and games retailer) and I managed to find the CMF2 Popstar I needed to complete my set. They have a 'Buy 3 Get 1 Free' promo for Series 2, so I also managed to snag a couple of Spartans and a Pharoah for a total of $8.97.

Not a monster of a deal, but I'm just happy to have finally completed my set, as well as a few extras for trade bait!

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:27 am

ricefields wrote:Travelled from Toronto to Detroit for a wedding and decided to stop by a Target after. Found a london tower set at target for $168!! Retails for $240US or $300cdn. Someone bought it online and returned it to a store still sealed and the stored marked it down with 30% off. Exclusives in a store outside of a lego store and on sale are such a rare find...definitely one of my top finds!
Congrats on the find.
It really is a fantastic set, especially at that price!
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Post by Mantisking » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:24 pm

I picked up 4644 Marina, 3365 Space Moon Buggy, and 4641 Speedboat (x2) for $53.08 after taxes today. I used the BOGO-50% sale on City sets and a $10 off $50 coupon to get that final price. I saved $15.94. Or, in other words, I got the three small sets free.

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

Post by hatcher » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:10 am

My wife was yardsaling a few weeks ago and saw some lego on sale. Two "lots", $10 each. The first lot was the 3569: Grand Soccer Stadium and the second lot was 2 Indiana Jones sets. So my wife, who knows very little about Lego, asks if the sets are complete. (She does sort of pay attention after all!) So, they say "yep, all the parts are there", so she buys them for me.

Well, I get home from work and she asks me if she did good. I start looking through the bin the Indy sets are in. I quickly discover that there are not in fact 2 Indy sets in it, there are in fact 4. And there is other stuff in there as well. So yes dear, you did very good. :)

It took me a few weeks to go through and sort the contents, and while there are in fact a few pieces from each set missing, all of the sets in there are around 95% complete (or more). The soccer stadium is missing 3 minifigures (2 have been replaced with the guy from the set 3535: Skateboard Street Park) and one light stand is missing (no big deal). Here's what I found in the second lot.

7196-1: Chauchilla Cemetery Battle
7620-1: Indiana Jones Motorcycle Chase
7625-1: River Chase
7682-1: Shanghai Chase

I was pleasantly surprised to find the additional Indy sets. I would have been more pleased if they had been sets I didn't already own, but regardless, these sets have some nice pieces and great minifigures.

But, it got better. I also found (drumroll please) 7884-1: Batman's Buggy: The Escape of Mr. Freeze.

Yes, one of the rare Batman sets! This one I didn't own, and according to bricklink, would cost me over $70 for an incomplete set. I was doing the happy dance when I finished putting it together (its missing a few pieces, but I can complete it with parts from my collection.)

It also had a nearly complete 7687-1: City Advent Calendar set in there, and the remains of the previously mentioned Skateboard Street Park sets. There was also a bunch of Mega-crap and some other non lego stuff my kids will enjoy playing with. And a nice plastic bin for storage that will come in handy.

So, I was quite happy. The soccer stadium goes to the kids, and I keep the rest.

And because as we all know "pics or it didn't happen, here are the pictures to prove it.
IMG_4385.JPG
IMG_4386.JPG
IMG_4387.JPG
IMG_4388.JPG
IMG_4389.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by hatcher on Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

Brickbuilder0937
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by Brickbuilder0937 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:20 am

^ Wow that's a great find. Finding LEGO at yard sales is always a great experience.

NIGELTTF
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by NIGELTTF » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:36 am

Brickbuilder0937 wrote:^ Wow that's a great find. Finding LEGO at yard sales is always a great experience.
Well, not always. While my friends have been amazed at what I've scored at yardsales throughout the years, (furniture, antiques, unusual books, collectibles, and even classic toys) I've had zero luck as to lego. The few times I have found it, it was a smattering of basic bricks at a price that is almost retail. I've done far better at a good sale in a store.

Luciant
Count
Count

Post by Luciant » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:05 pm

Wow, EXCELLENT catch Hatch! Very nice.

I've not been very fortunate on Yard Sales either. I seem to have decent luck checking craigslist every now and again and finding a decent find. Only problem is there are lots of 2nd hand 'merchants' that try to sell sets at Ebay prices...
I have mixed feelings about new releases: I can't wait to see and get the new sets... but I can't figure out where I'm gonna put them or store them.

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Post by Mantisking » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:18 pm

I went to Target today and picked up two copies of 4192 Fountain of Youth, and one of 2260 Ice Dragon Attack. With the B2G1free sale and two $3 off coupons I got all three sets for $33.98 before taxes. Which comes to about 43% off each.

Zeya
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by Zeya » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:54 pm

Mantisking wrote:I went to Target today and picked up two copies of 4192 Fountain of Youth, and one of 2260 Ice Dragon Attack. With the B2G1free sale and two $3 off coupons I got all three sets for $33.98 before taxes. Which comes to about 43% off each.
Where did you get the $3 coupons?

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Post by Mantisking » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:56 pm

Mantisking wrote:I went to Target today and picked up two copies of 4192 Fountain of Youth, and one of 2260 Ice Dragon Attack. With the B2G1free sale and two $3 off coupons I got all three sets for $33.98 before taxes. Which comes to about 43% off each.
Zeya wrote:Where did you get the $3 coupons?
The Target website.

Captain Lantern
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Captain Lantern » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:20 pm

Went to Meijer to look for new Captain America figures and ended up finding Queen Anne's Revenge and White Cap Bay on a back end cap, marked on clearance at 35% off! It was $140 with tax for both of them, was so glad I passed on ordering the big ship from B&N a few weeks prior....

ricefields
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by ricefields » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:12 pm

Captain Lantern wrote:Went to Meijer to look for new Captain America figures and ended up finding Queen Anne's Revenge and White Cap Bay on a back end cap, marked on clearance at 35% off! It was $140 with tax for both of them, was so glad I passed on ordering the big ship from B&N a few weeks prior....
Great find! Please tell me these were not found in michigan because I normally go to meijer to look for lego but passed on them this time to focus on tru and target!

newf
Peasant
Peasant

Post by newf » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:49 am

Got a good find on craigslist yesterday.
Scored jabbas sail barge with all the figs 6210, the Star destroyer 6211 w the figs, slave I 6209 and a V wing 6205 for 60 bucks! Plus for another 5he threw in a bin of legos :)

lukeskywalker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by lukeskywalker » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:06 pm

newf wrote:Got a good find on craigslist yesterday.
Scored jabbas sail barge with all the figs 6210, the Star destroyer 6211 w the figs, slave I 6209 and a V wing 6205 for 60 bucks! Plus for another 5he threw in a bin of legos :)
Nice. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Captain Lantern
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Captain Lantern » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:25 pm

ricefields wrote:
Captain Lantern wrote:Went to Meijer to look for new Captain America figures and ended up finding Queen Anne's Revenge and White Cap Bay on a back end cap, marked on clearance at 35% off! It was $140 with tax for both of them, was so glad I passed on ordering the big ship from B&N a few weeks prior....
Great find! Please tell me these were not found in michigan because I normally go to meijer to look for lego but passed on them this time to focus on tru and target!
Nope, this was in Elgin, IL. So far, the find of the year for me!

Hotspur
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by Hotspur » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:06 pm

I got a Venator Class Cruiser, 8039, for $99.99 from Hobbytown USA today. Not much of a discount over retail, but since I was still in the Dark Ages when the set actually came out, I'm glad I had a chance to pick it up without paying the prices resellers tend to ask.

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:26 am

Hotspur wrote:I got a Venator Class Cruiser, 8039, for $99.99 from Hobbytown USA today. Not much of a discount over retail, but since I was still in the Dark Ages when the set actually came out, I'm glad I had a chance to pick it up without paying the prices resellers tend to ask.
It is a deal if you wanted it and didn't pay through the nose. :mrgreen:
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

kevin7215
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by kevin7215 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:41 pm

Picked up 4501-1: Mos Eisley Cantina with instuctions from a seller on craigslist for $50.

lukeskywalker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by lukeskywalker » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:45 pm

kevin7215 wrote:Picked up 4501-1: Mos Eisley Cantina with instuctions from a seller on craigslist for $50.
WOW :shock:
Very good find