[USA] Wal-Mart Clearance

Share your LEGO Sales and LEGO Deals Finds here.
Forum rules
Please remember that Store Pricing topics should be placed in the "Retailer Discussions" Forum. If you find new LEGO products (and not on sale), please post in the "LEGO Availability" Forum.
Luciant
Count
Count

Re: [USA] Wal-Mart Clearance

Post by Luciant » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:40 pm

earl9371 wrote:Anyone have any idea as to how Wal Mart clearance sales work? There's a stack of advent calenders at my local WM, but I'm hoping (as they still are shelf marked for the full price) that they'll drop to the $15-$10 range in a short period. I think Target uses a weekly system to determine how much a price continues to go down, and didn't know if WM did the same as I'm hoping these land at 75% off!
My experience with WM is that they will "Roll-back" to a certain point, then it will sit in the Clearance Isle at that price point until it sells or they decide to clear out the section all together. Last year, WM put the Toy Story 3 Construct-a-Zurg on sale for $10. I continued to see those as well as the Midi-Imperial Shuttle in the clearance Isle at the same price points for at least 3-4 months.

So in essence, WM sets its clearance price and says Take it or Leave it.
I have mixed feelings about new releases: I can't wait to see and get the new sets... but I can't figure out where I'm gonna put them or store them.

meyerc13
Knight
Knight

Post by meyerc13 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:17 am

I agree with Luciant, whatever price you see now is about the best you'll get at Wal Mart. I've been to a few rural Wal Marts that have Bionicle sets from several years ago still in their clearance section, and no matter how long they sit there the price stays the same. However, in some cases the price will actually go back up. That has happened to me twice at Wal Mart. The most recent was the Apple Tree House last year after Christmas. Found it for 35% off one week, the next week they were selling it at MSRP again. If you see an item you want at Wal Mart in this 50% off clearance sale, get it. If you don't, either another LEGO fan will, or someone will snap them up to resell.

Heck, even at Target LEGO rarely makes it to 50% because people snap everything up for a 30% or less discount. Other than polybags, about the only sets I've seen make it to 50% at Target were the Space Police Galactic Enforcer sets last year, which I happily snapped up at that price. None of those lasted beyond 50%.

EveLAntagonist
I'm New !

Post by EveLAntagonist » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:46 am

Nothing was marked as being on sale at the Wal-Mart I went to. I checked it with the price scanner to verify it was half off.

NIGELTTF
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by NIGELTTF » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:31 am

meyerc13 wrote:I agree with Luciant, whatever price you see now is about the best you'll get at Wal Mart. I've been to a few rural Wal Marts that have Bionicle sets from several years ago still in their clearance section, and no matter how long they sit there the price stays the same. However, in some cases the price will actually go back up. That has happened to me twice at Wal Mart. The most recent was the Apple Tree House last year after Christmas. Found it for 35% off one week, the next week they were selling it at MSRP again. If you see an item you want at Wal Mart in this 50% off clearance sale, get it. If you don't, either another LEGO fan will, or someone will snap them up to resell.

Heck, even at Target LEGO rarely makes it to 50% because people snap everything up for a 30% or less discount. Other than polybags, about the only sets I've seen make it to 50% at Target were the Space Police Galactic Enforcer sets last year, which I happily snapped up at that price. None of those lasted beyond 50%.
There are exceptions to this,I've known people who cleaned up at the 75% off sales the target used to have about 7-8 years ago. I've seen people score Walmart deals of things like $11.00 for Privet Drive(I was glad to have them sell it to me for $35.00) but these are rare. The only things that you are likely going to see below 50% nowadays, even if you are a hunter, are Hero/Bioncle, Holdiay Polybags, and sets that were vastly overpriced to begin with(ohh 65% off makes it 8 cents a part...woooo.)

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:43 am

only sets on clearance at my walmart was ninjago sets.
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

toystest
Knight
Knight

Post by toystest » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:14 am

My local walmart had the CMF5 50% off as well. So I grabbed 60 :)

They had been picked through as I didn't get a single Dwarf, but most all others are still there.

natelite
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by natelite » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:27 am

meyerc13 wrote:Heck, even at Target LEGO rarely makes it to 50% because people snap everything up for a 30% or less discount. Other than polybags, about the only sets I've seen make it to 50% at Target were the Space Police Galactic Enforcer sets last year, which I happily snapped up at that price. None of those lasted beyond 50%.
in the past, i used to wait until 75% for any clearance sets at target but from last year i noticed most sets were gone by 50%. just look at the recent target online clearance. most sets were gone on day 1 it was discovered (by gabriellee), partly thanks to the clowns who posted on SD.

i think the bad economy coupled with the lego renaissance have led many people to hoard lego sets. in fact, i'm quite certain we're entering a lego bubble. think about it for a minute - it's a classic bubble just like the black tulip bubble. as long as the set stays an investment (i.e. MISB) and not consumed (i.e. is not opened), it holds its value. once it is opened, it dropped to practically worthless (defined as 50% or lower than the MISB price). the black tulip bulb was the same thing. as long as it wasn't planted, it's highly valuable. once it was planted it loses it's entire value. the only thing left for this bubble is if banks are willing to take mint lego sets as collateral. :lol: then we would start having crazy folks leveraging up to the wazoo!

just think about it - $800+ for a cafe corner? seriously? all the parts can be sourced from PaB, no unique mfs, why is it worth $800 or $1k mint? of the folks who are buying, how many are truly end users (i.e. opening and building the sets)? we may have some millionaires or billionaires who have far better thing to do than spend time hunting down the parts but not many others can afford a $800 set.

btw, if you have been following the wine market, it's the same thing. plenty of french wines are now being bought up in asia it's insane. there's even a bank credit facility for buying up crates of these wines. $10k or even $1m for a bottle? are they crazy? ultimately those wine end up in the toilet as barf or pee anyway. and how many rich folks can truly bring themselves to drink $1m of 750ml wine anyway? it's insane. think about this - how many common folk can tell the difference between a $10 bottle vs a $10k or $1m bottle? heck, i can't even tell the diff between a cheap moet chandon champagne vs a moet dom perignon champagne. and those don't even run at $10k a piece.

as for lego sets, i would recommend to buy only sets you truly want. that way, when the bubble bursts, you won't be stuck with unwanted sets and no money. seriously, don't buy sets for the sake of selling it. i have even stopped giving advise on what set to buy because it is only inflating the bubble further.

BrickUpdate
Knight
Knight

Post by BrickUpdate » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:10 am

@natelite Good points about how bubbles work. But figuring out when they will pop is hard to do. I used to follow Housing Bubble Blogs in 2005, where it was evident that we were in a huge housing bubble. But... prices kept rising, and it didn't pop for a couple more years.

I do buy more LEGO than I need, but I nearly always buy at discount, and as others have mentioned, there is an inherent value in the LEGO bricks themselves. WIll the UCS Falcon keep going up, or remain at $1000-2000 levels forever? Who knows. But for many sets, buying them at retail (or a bit below retail) is not a bad way to spend your money!

The effect: No, Emerald Night won't rise 400% in value within a year. But, it will still be worth the $100 you paid for it, regardless of how many others have piles of them in their closet. Plus - what a great set to be stuck with! :)

Thanks.
-Dan

natelite
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by natelite » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:30 am

BrickUpdate wrote: The effect: No, Emerald Night won't rise 400% in value within a year. But, it will still be worth the $100 you paid for it, regardless of how many others have piles of them in their closet. Plus - what a great set to be stuck with! :)
exactly. which is why i wrote the following: "as for lego sets, i would recommend to buy only sets you truly want. that way, when the bubble bursts, you won't be stuck with unwanted sets and no money."

as for figuring when bubbles pop - i didn't mention anywhere of when i think bubbles will pop, just how to notice when bubbles form. one thing is for sure, bubbles _WILL_ pop. i try not to be envious of the profit, and just stick to the basic. when prices rose higher than what i am prepared to buy it for, i sell it. simple as that. don't follow emotions, as the facts are almost always right. ;-) don't be greedy and speculate on how much EN can rise to - just sell it when it's higher than what you would pay for it.

pokerfool
I'm New !

Post by pokerfool » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:12 am

Man, I would have really liked to get an Emperor's shuttle and Mace Windu set. Anyone selling? :)

simpsonps121
I'm New !

Post by simpsonps121 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:16 am

The Toys R Us in Columbia MD had almost nothing. They had the Harry Potter Freeing Dobby for $5.40... but that was it.

tronan
I'm New !

Post by tronan » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:36 am

pokerfool wrote:Man, I would have really liked to get an Emperor's shuttle and Mace Windu set. Anyone selling? :)
to Pokerfool: I have an extra Mace Windu and/or a Plo Koon that I'd happily trade for a Slave I (throwing in some cash to even anything out on my part).

to solo606 (who PMed me): Apparently I can't send or reply to PMs yet, because I'm too new. Sorry, but thanks for the head's up!

legogod
Knight
Knight

Post by legogod » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:55 am

I just came back from the Wal-Mart in Putnam. There are 2 Garmadon Fortresses left for 35 (the only large set left). Three sets left in bulk: Nuckal ATV, Cars Escape at Sea and Freeing Dobby. If you were going for one of these, they're there as of today. About 15-20 of each.

Prison Carriage Ambush-a few left at 19.97. Cars sets were also half off and I believe the big one- Flo's V8 Cafe was available still-1 or 2 left for 30.

Found one lone Blacksmith attack that someone left in movies and promptly put it in my cart. What a cool set.

Have fun searching the dregs of the sale.

Jared

Max Power
Knight
Knight

Post by Max Power » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:50 pm

Anyone score any Ice Dragon Attacks? If you have an extra lmk.

robertwilliamneil
Citizen
Citizen

Post by robertwilliamneil » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:43 pm

I had great luck on this sale, I think it was mostly because at one of the Wal-Marts they still had eveything on the regular shelf even though it was ringing up clearance prices. Probably bought a little too much, but hard to resist 50% off Lego. I have an extra Slave 1 if anybody happened to come across an Earth Defense HQ and would like to trade (I'll add an extra small set into it or cash to make it even).

koromo
Knight
Knight

Post by koromo » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:51 pm

I revisited a Portsmouth WM and found a seperate clearance section for Macewindu, Kings Carriage and blacksmiths attack. Though I have seen nuckals atv about a dozen times in each store I am just not that interested. There are so many Black Pearls hanging around. Those have got to hit clear-out before spring.

Went further south to Seabrook, just shy of MA, and found a Mill Raid, and a beat up PQ Biplane.

If anyone could find a Lord Garmaddon Spinner please let me know, all I see are skeletons here.

Lego aisles should be renamed disaster zones, even the action figure/dolly aisles are more civilized.
Lego Fan based in Seacoast Area of New Hampshire.

clerkkent
Peasant
Peasant

Post by clerkkent » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:14 pm

All the Walmarts I have visited have had dozens of Ninjago vehicles 2506 and 2518 at half, and a smattering of other sets, usually spyjet escape and some of the smaller Cars sets. I got a Mace Windu ship, so I am satisfied.

Our area Walmarts blew out all the PoTC over the summer so we didn't have any during Christmas, and my local Walmart had clearanced the blacksmith attack to as low as $2 each during summer. It was an easter egg hunt as I found those smashed and hidden by other unrelated items on shelves.

sydra
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by sydra » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:09 pm

I ran into a nightmare scenario tonight for those hunting for a Slave I. Went into the local Wal-Mart, and they had restocked the shelves with very random stuff from the back(Check your local stores again if you are very close!). Sitting there were two Slave I. However, they hadn't been on the shelves for a LONG time, and were no longer in the system. Scanning them led to a "see an associate" message. I tried, but the manager said $79.97, no matter what other Wal-Mart stores were doing. Luckily, I don't really need one, but... :)

NIGELTTF
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by NIGELTTF » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:03 pm

BrickUpdate wrote:@natelite Good points about how bubbles work. But figuring out when they will pop is hard to do. I used to follow Housing Bubble Blogs in 2005, where it was evident that we were in a huge housing bubble. But... prices kept rising, and it didn't pop for a couple more years.

I do buy more LEGO than I need, but I nearly always buy at discount, and as others have mentioned, there is an inherent value in the LEGO bricks themselves. WIll the UCS Falcon keep going up, or remain at $1000-2000 levels forever? Who knows. But for many sets, buying them at retail (or a bit below retail) is not a bad way to spend your money!

The effect: No, Emerald Night won't rise 400% in value within a year. But, it will still be worth the $100 you paid for it, regardless of how many others have piles of them in their closet. Plus - what a great set to be stuck with! :)

Thanks.
-Dan
Mainly I buy sets on the "at worst I have more Lego for the general brick pile" level of speculation. I can't say I don't have a few Star Wars and POTC set I picked up at discount that really aren't worth it to me, but I suppose even if I sell at MSRP in five years, I'll still have doubled my money.

RainingBoroSI02
Peasant
Peasant

Post by RainingBoroSI02 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:43 pm

Thanks to everyone that has alerted us to the "hidden" clearance in the regular lego sections so I had to make a second trip to Walmart after seeing the usual clearance items reported. I picked up a Blacksmith Attack and found the Burrows but didn't get that. I had hoped to find that Sith Speeder on sale, but no luck.