[USA] Special Invitation for VIP Members to shop before Black/Brick Friday

Share your LEGO Sales and LEGO Deals Finds here.
Forum rules
Please remember that Store Pricing topics should be placed in the "Retailer Discussions" Forum. If you find new LEGO products (and not on sale), please post in the "LEGO Availability" Forum.
calvinwashere2
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Re: [USA] Special Invitation for VIP Members to shop before

Post by calvinwashere2 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:23 pm

anthonyj8: Yes, I do not think someone who is not invited and not a guest of the invited would not be allowed in during this 1 hour window simply because that's not really a long time. If you think about 25 (or so) people plus another 25 guest that's ~50 people in a Lego store. That's a lot of Lego geeks all in one place so there's not likely much room for anyone else (and I don't mean that in any negative way even if it may come off that way).

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:37 pm

I'm thinking that there must be other factors than just spending to qualify. I looked at my total VIP points and to be honest it isn't that high (and lots of the points are from double points) so the actual $$s spent there is even less. I still don't think I'm really one of the highest spenders at the store, I go often, but don't buy "that" much. :lol: I buy even less on-line b/c I only do that if there is free shipping.

I'm wondering if taking those surveys that appear on your receipt are tracked somehow? Maybe it's the consistency of going and making purchases on a regular basis?

CrazyRus
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by CrazyRus » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:12 pm

I've talked to "my sources" and it's NOT based on how much you spend, it is really kinda like inside lottery. In fact, if you spend too much and get marked as reseller you have zero chance of getting the invite

that guy
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by that guy » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:37 pm

CrazyRus wrote:I've talked to "my sources" and it's NOT based on how much you spend, it is really kinda like inside lottery. In fact, if you spend too much and get marked as reseller you have zero chance of getting the invite
That's what I had heard too. I know several resellers that spend upwards of $100k a year in store and they weren't invited. I got the impression it was the top "x" people below a certain dollar threshold that they deemed as reseller.

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Post by Legobrandon » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:48 pm

that guy wrote:
CrazyRus wrote:I've talked to "my sources" and it's NOT based on how much you spend, it is really kinda like inside lottery. In fact, if you spend too much and get marked as reseller you have zero chance of getting the invite
That's what I had heard too. I know several resellers that spend upwards of $100k a year in store and they weren't invited. I got the impression it was the top "x" people below a certain dollar threshold that they deemed as reseller.
That's kinda unfair though. What if you spend lots of money on LEGO because it something you love not to resell. And LEGO is making an assumption that because this person spends lots of money on their products they think that he/she is a re-seller. :problem:

that guy
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by that guy » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:52 pm

Fair enough, but do you really know any AFOL's that spend $100k just because they need more brick?

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Post by Legobrandon » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:54 pm

that guy wrote:Fair enough, but do you really know any AFOL's that spend $100k just because they need more brick?
No. But why not? I probably will, if I ever win the lottery. :razz:

starfire2
Knight
Knight

Post by starfire2 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:19 pm

I think the invite seems like a great honor, but I think I will brave the cold and other shoppers on Black Friday just to get the chance at a 50% off scratcher. Plus I think our mall is giving out gift cards again.

scrappymomtotwins
I'm New !

Post by scrappymomtotwins » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:40 pm

I received mine the day after they were mailed, because I live 30 min from lego hq. Oddly, we don't have a Lego store here_i have to drive 65 miles to the nearest store and its in another state (even odder, my invite had all my info addressed correctly except it had ny instead of ct...amazed it arrived at all).

apparently we get a scratch ticket for our discount and some other goodies. Frankly I love the idea because the so far for me and I have other places I need to be on actual black Friday. This solves a huge problem for me. I also love the fewer crowds thing. Not a crowd fan

my ticket was 2 of 24, but I was the first rsvper. So I'll go this time and see what its about.

DadsAFOL
Citizen
Citizen

Post by DadsAFOL » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:38 pm

I got home from a business trip tonight. I asked my kids "Hey did I get a cool looking Lego envelope in the mail?" Their response: "Yes, Dad, you are such a Lego geek!"

Guilty!

**Smiling like a kid in a Lego store**

Oh, and I got #1 of 25. I hope I get to keep the card when I go to the event. Cool (geeky) little status symbol! :)
Build with confidence by buying parts from our BrickLink store at http://www.DadsAFOL.com. Only store with instant shipping and payment options!

momof2boys99
I'm New !

Post by momof2boys99 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:48 pm

Congrats to everyone who got one. How exciting!! My kids keep running to the mailbox, but no invitation. We will have fun hearing all of your stories :o)

Luciant
Count
Count

Post by Luciant » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:37 am

Hmm, I'm thinking you invitees might get something 'extra special' like a Minifig set or something like they do for Grand Openings. To me it seems strange if the biggest benefit of the invite is to avoid BF Lines.

The people that seemed to qualify for the invite seem to #1) Buy a decent amount, yet not above a certain threshold. #2) Live semi-close to a Lego store (within 100 miles or less).

Ultimately the people got invites are people who most likely were planning on going to the store on BF anyways because we all know about the scratch off and the extra discount. So yes it is a nice benefit to buy early, but I would really hope they would do something extra special.
I have mixed feelings about new releases: I can't wait to see and get the new sets... but I can't figure out where I'm gonna put them or store them.

natelite
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by natelite » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:57 am

Luciant wrote:The people that seemed to qualify for the invite seem to #1) Buy a decent amount, yet not above a certain threshold.
I am not sure this is accurate. I don't know of any resellers that rather buy from Lego stores unless at wholesale prices. Talks of reseller purchase is way overblown. I don't know of bulk resellers that frequent Lego stores when there are better ways and cheaper means of purchase.

I honestly think it's just as described. Top VIP members by purchase.

sidersdd
Knight
Knight

Post by sidersdd » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:18 am

natelite wrote:
Luciant wrote:The people that seemed to qualify for the invite seem to #1) Buy a decent amount, yet not above a certain threshold.
I am not sure this is accurate. I don't know of any resellers that rather buy from Lego stores unless at wholesale prices. Talks of reseller purchase is way overblown. I don't know of bulk resellers that frequent Lego stores when there are better ways and cheaper means of purchase.

I honestly think it's just as described. Top VIP members by purchase.
There is one hard-core reseller who frequents the LEGO store in my area - according to the store employees who work there. I believe he mostly purchases the damaged box items. But still, 10% off is not that great of a deal when TRU/Amazon/Target/Wal-Mart/B&N go deeper with 25%/33%/40% off.

Brickbuilder0937
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by Brickbuilder0937 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:29 am

I wonder if part of this is just to get the major purchasers to do their LEGO store shopping early so they don't clog the store on black Friday. ;-)

pumbaugh
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by pumbaugh » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:25 am

I have a friend who owns a mom and pop/educational type toy store. He does not carry LEGO anymore, but he does this exact same thing. He has a special email club event at his store just before black friday for a "special event" which is normally just his winter sale prices or will give a coupon for 15% off purchase. It has multiple reasons as to why it works....It gets people out to the store who prob would not dream of going to a mall to shop for LEGO on Black Friday due to the crowds/hassle/lack of parking etc. 2nd it makes your top customers feel special, which is always good. 3rd it gives an opportunity to move big items before the typical christmas rush. He always worried about moving the big items because the demand drops off so much after christmas for 100$ plus gifts, get those sales before another store discounts further into the season to move their product. Anywho.....good move on LEGO-I am sure this will only add to their seasonal sales.

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:30 am

Ice wrote:
Q: How were the VIP members chosen?
A: They were selected on the basis they were in the top 25 VIP members for their local store based on engagement and purchases since joining LEGO VIP and part of the top 5% of VIPs globally.

Q: What type of specials are the LBR Stores offering for "Brick Friday?"
A:
  • 10% off of all purchases over $149.
  • Free Gift with Purchase Holiday Set 2 (http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=3300002-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) with purchases over $99 - Limit one per person.
  • Free Holiday Pick-a-Brick Box with purchases over $75.
  • Pull Cards (scratch cards) for all guests, increments of 10%, 25% & 50% off entire purchase.
  • The Holiday Gift with Purchase Set 1 (http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=3300020-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) on sale for $9.99 during the event.
Please know that any further details into the selection process are unable to be shared externally.
I'm thinking that the 10% off all purchases over $149 is for on-line? Since they don't do the scratch card on-line, perhaps that is what they are offering on-line to VIPs? Most scratch cards are 10% off anyway so they get more VIPs to shop a bit early.

I'm happy to be included only because that way I don't have to go at 5AM on Black Friday. I don't really expect any additional deals or offers than what will be offered on Black Friday. I agree with other posters that this is just away for LEGO to spread out their sales a bit and maybe lessen the crowd on BF. And it might encourage others to shop that normally would not dream of going to the Mall at 5AM the day after Thanksgiving ;-)

My main goal on BF was to spend enough to get the Holiday Set and a PAB box since I agree the deals are not "spectacular". But at least 10% off, the free holiday set and a PAB box make the deal decent if you just buy over $100 or $150.

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Post by Legobrandon » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:01 am

Where does LEGO usually store the damaged box items? At the back? And what kinds of discounts do they give out for damaged boxes? I am really interested in purchasing some sets at a good discount.

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:18 am

Legobrandon wrote:Where does LEGO usually store the damaged box items? At the back? And what kinds of discounts do they give out for damaged boxes? I am really interested in purchasing some sets at a good discount.
I've never asked, but I have seen the occasional damaged box with other sale items. At the store I frequent it is towards the back near PAB and by the stockroom door. BUT I've only seen them at 10% off MSRP, hardly a great deal. Perhaps others have had a different experience.

momof2boys99
I'm New !

Post by momof2boys99 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:27 am

Legobrandon wrote:Where does LEGO usually store the damaged box items? At the back? And what kinds of discounts do they give out for damaged boxes? I am really interested in purchasing some sets at a good discount.
At our local Lego store, I have only seen bags of parts toward the back door. However, at the Lego Discovery center they had a small table near the front with damaged and clearanced items. The discount depended on how bad the problem was. I remember my son got so excited to see the huge chess set about a year after it was gone at 50 % off, but it was missing 5 of the figs. I hope this helps.