[USA] Toysrus Brickober Week 4 Oct 23-29

Share your LEGO Sales and LEGO Deals Finds here.
Forum rules
Please remember that Store Pricing topics should be placed in the "Retailer Discussions" Forum. If you find new LEGO products (and not on sale), please post in the "LEGO Availability" Forum.
peanut
Knight
Knight

Re: [USA] Toysrus Brickober Week 4 Oct 23-29

Post by peanut » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:00 pm

When I went in to pick up the MF I asked if I could have a Bricktober poly but they couldn't get it to ring up or something so I said nm after about 5 minutes of standing there staring at the box full in front of me :problem: I do not like them and I guess they can sense it heheh.

Luciant
Count
Count

Post by Luciant » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:47 pm

Next time, you might offer to even pay for it, if they can't ring it up in the system. I'd rather pay for it, then miss it completely.
I have mixed feelings about new releases: I can't wait to see and get the new sets... but I can't figure out where I'm gonna put them or store them.

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:03 pm

Last week I went in w/ my Battle of Endor receipt that I ordered online since I got the free Ninjago battle whatever, I couldn't get the magnet. I asked if I could get the magnet in-store and the sales associate had to return my order and then put in the magnet and back off the price. Net net it was zero, but it was a bit of a hassle for both of us. I know that's the "right" thing to do inventory-wise, but it does make it more of a challenge.

Last year I went in to ask if I could buy week 4 since I missed it originally and the manager actually let me have one, no charge and they didn't ring it in. I guess things have changed at my store., but at least they are willing to work with me on it.

gabriellee11
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by gabriellee11 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:22 pm

It is because the magnets rings up as 1 cent...I found one in the sales floor during the first week and bought it for 1 cent. Also, this week I got 2 sets to reach $100 for the $25 off and I asked if I can get 2 minifigures since I'm getting 2 sets...they said that the 2nd rings up as 1 cent and they asked me if it is ok if they charged me 1 cent??? I said yes. Left very happy :-D

sidersdd
Knight
Knight

Post by sidersdd » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:22 pm

Here's the bizarre conclusion to my story. Went to the TRU that had my Frigate, and had my Falcon order cancelled. They had the Frigate for me - no issues. They also informed me they had the Falcon in their holding area with my name on it. I told them I received an email saying the order was cancelled. They weren't sure why that was because they actually had it reserved for me.

However, they said since it was cancelled that I would need to pay for it - since it wouldn't have charged my card on-line. I agreed. No problem. They then proceeded to ring it up as if I were buying it straight up in the store. It rang up as ~$112. I told them that I wanted the price that I had from the on-line order.

Here's where it got interesting. First they told me that they can't match on-line prices. I argued that they had the item waiting in their "in-store pickup" area, reserved for me. So obviously they were intending to provide this item to me as part of that "in-store pickup" process, and if it weren't accidentally cancelled they were going to honor the price I ordered it at. The price I had submitted the order for was ~$77. This went back and forth for a bit. They then went on a tangent about how they "see me in the store all the time, with all my coupons", and that I shouldn't expect them to always honor them. :shock: Huh? Yes, I frequent your store. Yes, I use coupons - almost all of which are provided by *you*. There was one time I tried using a smartphone app coupon (shopkick) that didn't stack with the BOGO they had going or something. But otherwise it's been TRU coupons.

If you don't want people using coupons, then don't have inflated prices! They continued on with some bit about how the holidays are coming up and that everybody is going to be using all sorts of coupons from all over the place and that I shouldn't expect every coupon to work. I was baffled by this. There's probably a disconnect from corporate TRU and the store worker bees. This guy was obviously frazzled from the day. He did apologize (for the cancellation mixup) and was actually writing an email to someone at corporate explaining the issues with the in-store pickup problems. And in the end he decided to honor the $77 price on the Falcon - just this one time. Thanks. :roll:

starfire2
Knight
Knight

Post by starfire2 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:46 pm

Sorry for your experience. When we went into our local TRU to pick up our online order we didn't have any issues. In fact we were returning a Millenium Falcon that we had purchased 2 months ago for $112.99. She even laughed when I explained to her what we were doing. She even asked if we wanted the one we brought in or the one in the hold area. I told her the one we brought in is fine. We have never had an issue with the coupons. It sounds like the person your were dealing with was having a bad day and taking out on you. I too have had issues with pricing with TRU. We saw the Spongebob glove world and heroic heroes sets labeled for msrp, but when scanned they were coming up higher. The manager said " I will let you do both but only this time" and quickly changed the shelf labels in front of us. I don't get the "this time" thing. If it's their error, they should fix it!

natelite
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by natelite » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:37 am

@sidersdd: if that's your experience I would recommend going to another tru store. Your experience sounds almost like mine in the store from hell except mine would come with an extra dose of attitude, sarcasm and yelling. Once I used printed coupons (since I opted for online instead of letter delivery) and the cashier said they don't accept printouts. Good thing I didn't cut out the coupons and showed her the entire page that said to print out and use. She had to call the manager over before reluctantly scan the coupons. Then give me more attitude about having to cut the coupons. Wtf, I told her I don't need the rest and she can keep them but she insisted I tear out each of the ones I used.

As I said in another thread I am never returning to that store. I've been very rational and usually just opt for the closest tru store but after the last round that's the final straw that broke my back.

Report to tru HQ that the store and that employee refused to accept corporate coupons. Nothing like a little venting to clear the head. :lol:

meyerc13
Knight
Knight

Post by meyerc13 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:14 am

Interesting to hear that I'm not alone in bad TRU customer service. During Week 1, my wife bought Mill Village Raid and another set and they didn't give her a magnet. During Week 2 I went in and bought three sets, and again they 'forgot' to give me the magnet. Honestly, I really don't care for the glued magnets so I didn't bother going back to complain in either case, but it's still ridiculous that I should have to ask when they have them hidden in a drawer behind the counter.

As for them saying they would honor a price mistake on their part "just once," in most states it is the law that they must honor the price that is marked. TRU has some very shady pricing practices, jacking up the prices on items before putting them on sale, and quite often this results in them missing an item when repricing, especially when that item is displayed in more than one place in the store. During the same trip they forgot to give me my magnet, they also overcharged me for a Hero Factory figure, which I did catch ($2), and they didn't honor a marked sale on a non-LEGO item for my daughter (and then tried to argue with me that the item was excluded from the sale despite the fact that it was not one of the two specific items that were listed in the ad and on the tag as excluded). In that case, she also said something about "just this once."

Zeya
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by Zeya » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:39 am

Side tangent... Local stores get annoyed by coupons. The worst around here (maybe everywhere?) is Quiznos. Every one I go to has a laminated placard up stating that "this branch does not accept coupons". Nice racket: print up coupons and don't let anybody use them.

@sidersdd It's cheesy how they mentioned knowing you use coupons all the time. As if you're causing trouble or some kind of cheapskate. At least you got the good price in the end though.TRU doesn't usually bend when it comes to coupon rules, in my experience.

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:27 pm

I picked up the MF today and I asked about the free polybag. The supervisor said she had to return and rebuy to get the freebie and then she didn't think it would work because the price was so much different than they had it for. I said it was an on-line only deal. She said she'd have to get a manager to approve it so I said nevermind, I was happy with the price and didn't want to risk them not honoring it or whatever. I also already got the Brictober #4 during week #3 so I didn't "need" that either.

hankdelsi
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by hankdelsi » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:40 pm

they gave me the magnet figure with little hesitation but for the SW set had to return item and repurchase, no thanks.

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:46 pm

I didn't really ask for the Bricktober since when I did it last week they also did the return/repurchase...boo!

BrickUpdate
Knight
Knight

Post by BrickUpdate » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:01 pm

I just picked up my Falcon. I smiled when the employee opened the big cupboard they hold merchandise in, and there were 4 other Falcons in there. I was surprised that there were no Republic Frigates being held or the Podracers.

They didn't seem happy when I asked to get a box that wasn't crushed like the first one they handed me. I totally forgot to ask for the magnet - I feel like that would have added another 15 minutes onto the transaction that already took a long time to simply "pick up."

It's weird, when I was walking around the store, I had 3 different TRU employees great me and ask if I needed help. But up at "customer service," they weren't friendly, weren't happy, and everything took awhile. It's hard to really get a consistent - positive - experience in a retail environment like that. Just the way things are.

sadowsk1
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by sadowsk1 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:10 pm

BrickUpdate wrote:I just picked up my Falcon. I smiled when the employee opened the big cupboard they hold merchandise in, and there were 4 other Falcons in there. I was surprised that there were no Republic Frigates being held or the Podracers.

They didn't seem happy when I asked to get a box that wasn't crushed like the first one they handed me. I totally forgot to ask for the magnet - I feel like that would have added another 15 minutes onto the transaction that already took a long time to simply "pick up."

It's weird, when I was walking around the store, I had 3 different TRU employees great me and ask if I needed help. But up at "customer service," they weren't friendly, weren't happy, and everything took awhile. It's hard to really get a consistent - positive - experience in a retail environment like that. Just the way things are.
I hear that. The store is crawling with unwanted help.

evo8hks
Knight
Knight

Post by evo8hks » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:08 pm

I think TRU final blocked Star Wars sets of the 10/25 off deal.

echobanzai
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by echobanzai » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:47 am

i got both the frigate AND falcon. but i got them yesterday asap, i ordered them in the middle of the night sunday. when i showed up at TRU, the guy said, 'why is everyone buying falcons all of a sudden?'

i had to wait like 10 minutes to get them from the back, and then i told the cash chick, 'what about my free magnets?' at first she did not even know what i was talking about, then i saw them, pointed to them, said those are fine. and she gave them to me.

what stinks is my bro wanted me to order more for him. and i was working all day, and now tru seems to have blocked it online.

the manager at tru also told me, 'we are running out!'

NiceMarmot
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by NiceMarmot » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:07 pm

No problems picking up my MF yesterday. Cheerful customer service employee, no problem with the polybag. The rare decent in-store TRU experience!

Luciant
Count
Count

Post by Luciant » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:42 pm

NiceMarmot wrote:No problems picking up my MF yesterday. Cheerful customer service employee, no problem with the polybag. The rare decent in-store TRU experience!
:lol: We don't believe you! We know you are a Toys R Us employee / Spy! :lol:
I have mixed feelings about new releases: I can't wait to see and get the new sets... but I can't figure out where I'm gonna put them or store them.

NiceMarmot
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by NiceMarmot » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:33 am

Luciant wrote:
NiceMarmot wrote:No problems picking up my MF yesterday. Cheerful customer service employee, no problem with the polybag. The rare decent in-store TRU experience!
:lol: We don't believe you! We know you are a Toys R Us employee / Spy! :lol:
I was pretty amazed myself. I rarely go in there because it's usually such a pain and so expensive. It probably helped that there were no customers there at the time (early afternoon on a school day). The employee who helped me seemed fairly new; she probably hadn't received the full regimen of TRU hose-the-customer training yet...

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Post by Mantisking » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:19 am

So I went to my local TRU yesterday and spent nothing. (Enh, I had other things to buy and a limited budget.) Anyway, my store had the Vulture Droid polybags hanging on a sidekick and priced $4.99 Anyone else see them at their store?