[CAN] TRU Aug 5 - Aug 11

Share your LEGO Sales and LEGO Deals Finds here.
Forum rules
Please remember that Store Pricing topics should be placed in the "Retailer Discussions" Forum. If you find new LEGO products (and not on sale), please post in the "LEGO Availability" Forum.
Shijima
Knight
Knight

[CAN] TRU Aug 5 - Aug 11

Post by Shijima » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:51 pm

[CAN] TRU Aug 5 - Aug 11

TRU's first sale on lego in a month with a little mix up.

25% off all Pharoahs Quest

10% off all Harry Potter Lego but.. Here is the thing, while the flyer says 10% off, the prices reflected are actually 20% off! Im sure you should be able to get that price but only on the two sets shown in the picture which are 'Battle for Hogwarts' and 'The Forbidden Forest'

http://www.pjtra.com/t/Sj9KREtHP0hHRUhDP0dJQkhJ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: [CAN] TRU Aug 5 - Aug 11

Post by Ice » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:32 pm

I think I'm getting spoiled by BN lately. Feels like these Canadian sales are very very weak. 10% off Harry Potter can't even pay off the tax. :?

jhuynh
Peasant
Peasant

Post by jhuynh » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:18 am

Ice wrote:I think I'm getting spoiled by BN lately. Feels like these Canadian sales are very very weak. 10% off Harry Potter can't even pay off the tax. :?
Haha.. I totally agree, Canadian MSRP vs. US MSRP.. it's ridiculous.. I need to find a friend near the border who I can ship things to.. LoL

ImmortalShark
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by ImmortalShark » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:48 am

B&N and L@H both ship to PO Boxes in the US without any problems. If your close to the boarder, get a PO Box in a post office and you're good to go. I'm still working out the bugs with Amazon but they claim they deliver to PO Boxes as well.

IS

Shijima
Knight
Knight

Post by Shijima » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:52 am

Ya I can't justify paying Cdn retail anymore. B&n is just so much cheaper with that coupon.
But I figured I should contribute to the TnB community by at least posting the sale, instead of always taking away.

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:53 am

Shijima wrote:Ya I can't justify paying Cdn retail anymore. B&n is just so much cheaper with that coupon.
But I figured I should contribute to the TnB community by at least posting the sale, instead of always taking away.
And we thank you for that.
:geek:
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

Post by hatcher » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:56 am

Just took a look at the online flier, and it shows the Harry Potter lego at being 20% off. Maybe you got a typo on yours? Also shows a "build your own Lego jet plane" on August 6th from 12 - 2 pm. Hope the plane is better than the fathers day race car was.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Post by Legobrandon » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:19 am

The plane doesn't look that bad actually.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pterribilis
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by pterribilis » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:00 pm

I'm in Montreal, and I order and have them ship to my Border Mail Services account through https://www.kinek.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The membership is free and all you have to pay is a few dollars when you pick it up depending on the weight. Last time I shipped a car seat (from a place that offered free shipping to a us address) and it cost me $5.00 to pick it up. It got shipped to a place in Champlain, NY which took me like 45-60minutes drive away. CHEAP!

ricefields
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by ricefields » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:57 pm

ImmortalShark wrote:B&N and L@H both ship to PO Boxes in the US without any problems. If your close to the boarder, get a PO Box in a post office and you're good to go. I'm still working out the bugs with Amazon but they claim they deliver to PO Boxes as well.

IS
For bn, I don't think its worth shipping to US because they have cheap shipping to canada and there are no duty and they only charge gst. If shipped it to the US and you have to bring across border then you have to worry about your spending limit if you don't want the GST or HST hit. Also tax in new york is now 8.75% so not much diference with the free shipping you get for shipping to US. For buying retail prices at shop@home, buying from amazon.com, target.com or toysrus.com especially with their BOGO 50% recently, then it would be worth to ship to PO, or kinek or whatever other mailing address offered to canadians. If you are staying over 2 nights or more, then a different story; I had lego sets from amazon, tru, lego, and bn all shipped to my hotel!

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Post by Legobrandon » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:43 pm

Bigger Picture:

vuud
I'm New !

Post by vuud » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:08 am

I'm from Ottawa and I enjoy TRU BOGO sales by getting them shipped to the UPS store in Ogdensburg. You just use their address with your name and they will receive the packages for you. They charge 5$ per box per week. Since it's only 40 minutes from town, it's very worthwhile. Customs came down to about 5% of the purchase amount.

US MSRP is automatically a good 20-30% off the CAN MSRP. With a bogo offer (25%), you get 45-55% off...it's a no brainer.

QuagsireQing
Knight
Knight

Post by QuagsireQing » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:04 am

Oh, look! Diagon Alley is Out of Stock! It's like *gasp* magic!

autobrick
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by autobrick » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:06 pm

QuagsireQing wrote:Oh, look! Diagon Alley is Out of Stock! It's like *gasp* magic!
Yep, it was out of stock even before the sale began. It's too bad that Barnes & Noble (which is quickly becoming my favourite Lego retailer) doesn't carry exclusives.
ricefields wrote:For bn, I don't think its worth shipping to US because they have cheap shipping to canada and there are no duty and they only charge gst. ... ... ...
Yup, having it shipped straight home is definitely cheaper than picking it up across the border (accounting for gas, customs, travel time, etc). I live over 1.5 hours from the US border so paying $6.48 for shipping to my doorstep is a fair deal. However, if you are already visiting the US for some other reason, making a little Lego side-trip won't hurt. :D

The Lego Company really needs to revise their pricing scheme. They claim the pricing disparity is due to market conditions, etc. but then they turn around and sell things like the Brick Calendar for only .50 more (a markup of less than 4%, which I can live with).

jhuynh
Peasant
Peasant

Post by jhuynh » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:52 pm

Legobrandon wrote:The plane doesn't look that bad actually.
The plane actually looks pretty good, with a total of 61 pcs. For those who wants to make their own.. here are the instructions and some pictures I took. Let me know if you want a more detailed picture of the instructions.

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Post by Legobrandon » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:23 pm

I am going to order the Winter Toy Shop on TRU.ca for $79.99 tomorrow. But I also want to qualify for the free shipping promo. I chose something that was $19.99 so the total is $99.98, two cents away from free shipping. Do you think they will give free shipping to me if I just give them a call about this issue?

unclephn
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by unclephn » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:39 pm

Legobrandon wrote:I am going to order the Winter Toy Shop on TRU.ca for $79.99 tomorrow. But I also want to qualify for the free shipping promo. I chose something that was $19.99 so the total is $99.98, two cents away from free shipping. Do you think they will give free shipping to me if I just give them a call about this issue?
I was actually thinking about the same exact issue, because I've been itching to buy the Winter Toy Shop while it's still available. Thing is, I don't want to overspend just to get free shipping. If you find out, please let me know!

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Post by Legobrandon » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:30 pm

unclephn wrote:
Legobrandon wrote:I am going to order the Winter Toy Shop on TRU.ca for $79.99 tomorrow. But I also want to qualify for the free shipping promo. I chose something that was $19.99 so the total is $99.98, two cents away from free shipping. Do you think they will give free shipping to me if I just give them a call about this issue?
I was actually thinking about the same exact issue, because I've been itching to buy the Winter Toy Shop while it's still available. Thing is, I don't want to overspend just to get free shipping. If you find out, please let me know!
I called TRU today,and they told me that they are very strict on the $100 free shipping. And its too bad that they don't have something that is a dollar, maybe even a series 4 minifig. The cheapest LEGO item is $6.99. So I guess I have to order a $21.99 Harry Potter Set. :|

EDIT: Wait, what happened to Qudditch Match Set? I swear I saw it a few days ago.

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

Post by hatcher » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:44 pm

Hmm, interesting that as of right now, apparently the ONLY Harry Potter set that TRU even sells is Freeing Dobby. Not being in stock is one thing, but to take them all off your website is another. Shame.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Post by Legobrandon » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:48 pm

Since I don't want to spend over $105 (not including tax) which set do you think I should get?

7051: Alien Conquest- Tripod Invader 165 pcs- $24.99
4642: City- Fishing Boat 64 pcs- $24.99 (I find this set very overpriced)
8426: Cars 2- Escape At Sea 159 pcs- $24.99