Not a deal

Share your LEGO Sales and LEGO Deals Finds here.
Forum rules
Please remember that Store Pricing topics should be placed in the "Retailer Discussions" Forum. If you find new LEGO products (and not on sale), please post in the "LEGO Availability" Forum.
polywen
I'm New !

Not a deal

Post by polywen » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:50 am

I thought this might be someplace to post a pet peeve of mine. I see Craigslist ads for used Lego sets for more than retail! Often I'll see a set listed for full retail on Craigslist but is on clearance at the Lego store for 50% off. I wonder if anyone is stupid enough to buy these from these people. I think it annoys me because the only people who would buy them are suckers and there seems to be something unethical about it.

I understand selling out of print sets that are collectible and sought after for more. I understand selling sets at a mark up to the national market when sets aren't available everywhere. But these are local ads, and there are 3 Lego stores in the area, as well as Walmarts and Targets which have the same sets, new, for retail or often slightly less then retail. And this particular set is widely available.

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Not a deal

Post by Ice » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:48 am

Sometimes you can find really good deals on craigslist and sometimes they are just plain rip off. The good deals ones are usually parents who don't really know the prices and are just selling it for their kids. The expensive ones are usually sold by collectors and would most likely be Star Wars. But i do agree seeing people purchasing a set at a big discount and selling them for full retail.

starwarsgeek
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by starwarsgeek » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:47 pm

polywen wrote:I thought this might be someplace to post a pet peeve of mine. I see Craigslist ads for used Lego sets for more than retail! Often I'll see a set listed for full retail on Craigslist but is on clearance at the Lego store for 50% off. I wonder if anyone is stupid enough to buy these from these people. I think it annoys me because the only people who would buy them are suckers and there seems to be something unethical about it.
feel sorry to those who gets rip off, they really should research before they buy

kevin93
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by kevin93 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:01 pm

Usually for big sets, they can't sell it too expensive cause people can't afford it. You may see small retired star wars sets that are retailed at $10 and then they can jack up the price to $50-70. But if you look at bigger sets like #7666 Hoth Rebel Base that retails around $50 usd, they can only jack it up to max. at $200.

The Key Point: Smaller sets are usually more rip off. (even at retail price)

kevin93
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by kevin93 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:06 pm

Re-Reading your post, i just realized it did say "WELL MAINTAINED" and is complete with box, instructions and everything.

Brickbuilder0937
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by Brickbuilder0937 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:53 pm

If you think Craigslist prices are bad you should see Amazon. Squidman's escape for example; one seller has it listed for $24.95 plus 4.99 shipping. Or the clone walker battle pack, 29.99 + 4.99 shipping. Do they seriously expect someone to buy from them at those prices?

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ice » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:44 pm

Brickbuilder0937 wrote:If you think Craigslist prices are bad you should see Amazon. Squidman's escape for example; one seller has it listed for $24.95 plus 4.99 shipping. Or the clone walker battle pack, 29.99 + 4.99 shipping. Do they seriously expect someone to buy from them at those prices?
Amazon would probably be the last place to go when you buy LEGO. Most of the sets are either at retail and higher. Only time you can find a good deal is when they have a sale.

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

Post by hatcher » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:56 am

Pretty much every place you go will have rip offs listed. Ebay, bricklick, etc. You can still find good deals on Lego, but honestly, it is such a hot market right now, especially for out of stock items. It does surprise me that people do not do some research before buying. For example, Rogue Shadows were being clearanced at Walmart for $40, and Ahsoka's starfighter is rolled back to $30 (Canada), yet I've seen them listed on ebay for twice that amount.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ice » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:11 pm

hatcher wrote:Pretty much every place you go will have rip offs listed. Ebay, bricklick, etc. You can still find good deals on Lego, but honestly, it is such a hot market right now, especially for out of stock items. It does surprise me that people do not do some research before buying. For example, Rogue Shadows were being clearanced at Walmart for $40, and Ahsoka's starfighter is rolled back to $30 (Canada), yet I've seen them listed on ebay for twice that amount.
Rogue Shadow was 50% off at LEGO Shop @ Home for 2 days before it was sold out. Wal mart do have some pretty good sales sometimes. An example would be clone trooper battle pack & droids battle pack for $5 CAD each. (just before wal mart canada got lego again)

Welcome to the forums Hatcher !

DarthPaka
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by DarthPaka » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:45 pm

Just goes to show, you've got to be Consumer Smart, have patience & wait for the sweet deals!