Invest with caution

Discuss about retailers that carries LEGO products here! Got a LEGO Product Find or Polybag Find from a store? Share it with us. It can be a new or even a really old retired set!
zztoy
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Invest with caution

Post by zztoy » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:15 pm

New investors be careful before going out and buying 20 sets or filling their brick link stashes. Hope I'm wrong.

Cheers
Last edited by zztoy on Sun May 04, 2014 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

cstojano
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Re: Invest with caution

Post by cstojano » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:04 pm

I gave up on buying sets for investment last year. I made decent money but it was clear to me the sets were being held way too long and things were selling out, then not, then selling out, then not. I don't think they will retire 10188 for a long time and for those sitting on dozen of these in the garage, well, good luck. Lego's final one finger salute to the AFOL community would be the re-release of the UCS Falcon.

condor
Knight
Knight

Post by condor » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:22 pm

That would be amazing if they re-released the falcon. I'm sure many AFOL's would be more than pleased if that happened.

NIGELTTF
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by NIGELTTF » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:45 pm

I would hardly call keeping something in production when the demand is there a "one fingered salute." Sure, it means resellers may not realize profit they want, but that means jack and crap as far as the Lego group is concerned. You, and I for that matter, aren't owed anything by TLG as resellers, except maybe, maybe..not rereleasing Collectible Minifigs(due to the marketing.)

There are plenty of things that I would consider a "one Finger salute" to AFOLs....particularly the END of production of 9V train motors, to the over saturation of nigh useless colors (like lime green, yellow, and blue)in bulk buckets...but putting stuff back in production...that's my problem as a speculator, not theirs.

If makes me think of a particular type of shell from the war of 1812. There was only 8 known to exist...and they commanded very high prices in the antique military market. However in 2005 a retaining wall from the 18 teens was taken down, and a few thousand of that shell were found as ballast behind the wall, dropping their value by 97% The people who unearthed those shells didn't owe anything to the collectors and investors who had paid thousands for one of the original 8.
Last edited by NIGELTTF on Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

brickmont13
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by brickmont13 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:42 pm

SDCC exclusive Azog minifig comes to mind. In a few days the same minifig will be released with the new Hobbit Dol Guldur set.

Also, about the MF castle: There are two versions of the vamp castle (as well as hearse and mummy sets) where the Glow-in-the-Dark sticker sheet wasn't up to LEGOs standards so they released a second version with a non glow sticker sheet. It has a different set number and box art than the original glow versions.

Luciant
Count
Count

Post by Luciant » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:49 pm

brickmont13 wrote:SDCC exclusive Azog minifig comes to mind. In a few days the same minifig will be released with the new Hobbit Dol Guldur set.

Also, about the MF castle: There are two versions of the vamp castle (as well as hearse and mummy sets) where the Glow-in-the-Dark sticker sheet wasn't up to LEGOs standards so they released a second version with a non glow sticker sheet. It has a different set number and box art than the original glow versions.
Azog is a GREAT example. He was speculated to be a different color, but ended up being the same. Will shatter that market. The SDCC Venom is another example. It was one of the lower SDCC Exclusives, but now that he will be in the new <$20 set, his price will tank even further.
I have mixed feelings about new releases: I can't wait to see and get the new sets... but I can't figure out where I'm gonna put them or store them.

zskid00
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by zskid00 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:56 am

Luciant wrote:The SDCC Venom is another example. It was one of the lower SDCC Exclusives, but now that he will be in the new <$20 set, his price will tank even further.
There was no SDCC Venom. It was a black symbiote suit Spider-man variant. They are a little different.