VIP Exclusive Holiday Shopping Event 2013

Discuss about retailers that carries LEGO products here! Got a LEGO Product Find or Polybag Find from a store? Share it with us. It can be a new or even a really old retired set!
spacysmoke
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

VIP Exclusive Holiday Shopping Event 2013

Post by spacysmoke » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:41 pm

It's that time of year again! Got an invitation in the mail today. It's the first time I'll be going to one of these things :-D
Event will be Saturday Nov.23.
Hope to get some decent deals!

cinrose
I'm New !

Re: VIP Exclusive Holiday Shopping Event 2013

Post by cinrose » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:44 am

I also received an invite!
Has anyone been to one of these events?
What should I expect?

slacker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by slacker » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:52 am

I went a 2 years ago. Only thing was that we get to go in earlier. The sales weren't that great.

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:25 pm

cinrose wrote:I also received an invite!
What should I expect?
I've been fortunate enough to have gone the past 2 years...so far no invite yet for this year.....but basically they allowed invitees to shop 1 hour prior to the store opening, we got a free PAB holiday box. We also got the BF scratch cards (not sure if that is happening this year) and the ability to get the holiday promo.

Last year they didn't offer the VIPs the special sales they offered on BF, which i thought was lame because i bought a SW advent calendar and then it was on sale BF. That was annoying.

I like it so I don't have to get up at the crack of dawn on BF, but I thought the best perk was the extra PAB box.

dulait
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dulait » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:33 am

atmail35 wrote:
cinrose wrote:I also received an invite!
What should I expect?
I've been fortunate enough to have gone the past 2 years...so far no invite yet for this year.....but basically they allowed invitees to shop 1 hour prior to the store opening, we got a free PAB holiday box. We also got the BF scratch cards (not sure if that is happening this year) and the ability to get the holiday promo.

Last year they didn't offer the VIPs the special sales they offered on BF, which i thought was lame because i bought a SW advent calendar and then it was on sale BF. That was annoying.

I like it so I don't have to get up at the crack of dawn on BF, but I thought the best perk was the extra PAB box.
Yes but being VIP and all, all they do is give us a free $10-15 PAB box and let us avoid the line ups? Wow, I sure am dying to get one of these invites. Here is what I suggest Lego do if any of their marketing people ever read up on sites like ours. Instead of the cheap PAB box, hand out one of the sets below instead,
Or any of the Comic Con SDCC Exclusives.

Now that will be a huge incentive to shop at Lego throught out the whole year in order to get one of this VIP invites. Otherwise, anyone might as well get a part-time job at one of the stores if possible, or befriend an employee, since they get better discounts compare to some of us so called VIPs.

Kimsaha
I'm New !

Post by Kimsaha » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:50 pm

We went last year (my husband-our kids, and I). I was invited last year and took him as my guest.

Last year we got free PAB boxes, lanyards, shopping bag- the red duplo gift, and I think something else- but I forget. It wasn't a great event for us- the store was sold out of a lot of things and other things were a limit of one- not good when you have 2 kids. We were supposed to go to our local store but got called a couple of days ahead when our local store was shut down for several days due to a mold issue. We were given the option to go to another store- an additional hour+ drive to the already hour+ drive. So the other store had about 50% more people than they should have.

DH got the invitation this year - not sure why- I'm sure I bought more than he did. We each have our own cards to get the free kid admission to LEGOLAND when it opened in 2011.

Will we go again? Sure will. A free PAB box- or two makes it worth it for us! We spend hours in there filling those little gold mines. My kids are the packmaster kings. Anything else is a bonus. If they have the scratch offs- and it is anything more than 20% is a bonus.

wegj
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by wegj » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:21 am

But will the scratch offs be limited from exclusives this year like every other discount?
WEGJ–keep creating!
http://BRICKSTORMS.com Custom Models + Minifigs

starfire2
Knight
Knight

Post by starfire2 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:37 am

I received my first ever invite. Unfortunately I have to work that day. I asked at the store and they said my husband can go instead of me.

Brick & Blue
Count
Count

Post by Brick & Blue » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:05 am

I have never gotten one, and don't expect to get another, and I'll live. Amazon deals are better than anything LEGO does now-a-days.

lowbike1
I'm New !

Post by lowbike1 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:10 am

do you just get the free pick a brick box for showing up? or does it come with Purchase?
also, not all VIP members get this? just the ones that spend alot of money??

solo606
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by solo606 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:17 am

I did hear a rumor from a Lego store manager that they will be doing a discount card but it will not be for a % off like in years past but rather a flat dollar amount off. Example $10 off purchase of $100.
Store Manager didn't have too many details and was not clear if exclusives would qualify for the cards handed out that day.

solo606
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by solo606 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:20 am

lowbike1 wrote:do you just get the free pick a brick box for showing up? or does it come with Purchase?
also, not all VIP members get this? just the ones that spend alot of money??
There are a couple factors that go into being selected.
From what I have heard....
1) You have to live with a certain driving distance to a physical store
2) The highest spending VIP's at a certain stores do not always get invited (something to do with them thinking you are a reseller)
3) Frequency of purchases in the physical store

brickmont13
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by brickmont13 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:48 am

I'm 10 miles from a B&M but I always use S@H because of the poor customer service in store. I guess I'm not getting one.

brickingbad
I'm New !

Post by brickingbad » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:56 pm

I have also received an invitation in the mail recently. I plan on going since this will be my first time but not sure what I'll be getting at the store. Perhaps I'll luck out and get a decent discount from the scratch card they'll be passing out.

melsig
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by melsig » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:00 pm

I received my second invitation this year, and I'm quite mystified by it, as I spent significantly less at my local store this year than last year. Plus half of my purchases through LEGO have been on-line. The employees at the store are so helpful and friendly, I do tend to leave survey feedback - I wonder if that has anything to do with it?? Anyway, it's a moot point for us, as my family tends to be traveling the day of the event...

SpaceViking
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by SpaceViking » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:17 pm

solo606 wrote:
lowbike1 wrote: also, not all VIP members get this? just the ones that spend alot of money??
There are a couple factors that go into being selected.
From what I have heard....
1) You have to live with a certain driving distance to a physical store
2) The highest spending VIP's at a certain stores do not always get invited (something to do with them thinking you are a reseller)
3) Frequency of purchases in the physical store
I received an invite for the first time this year, as well.

This past year I've spent much, much less on Lego than in previous years, and I rarely buy things in the LBR store unless there is a good sale going. So high spending and/or frequent purchases cant be the only criteria.

I have changed two other things in the past year, though. I've gotten to know the long-time employees better, and I've filled out the receipt survey almost every time I've purchased something. My typical review is to praise the staff, but complain about the high prices / lack of deals. Based on melsig's comment, filling out the surveys probably had something to do with the invite this year over previous years.

jessica52877
Peasant
Peasant

Post by jessica52877 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:15 pm

Interesting, I've never seen one of these or been invited. I've been a VIP since they had the stamp cards, and shopped there years before that even. We tend to spend a ton at the lego store but even more at Amazon. I usually do shop at home a couple times a year too. I'm within 30 miles of lego store, probably 45 of the other one.

I love some people at our store and always fill out their surveys. There is 1 or 2 people who are so unfriendly though! I've learned they don't enjoy working late at night, especially the first Tuesday of the month so I usually hit the store after the free build.

wyldjedi
Citizen
Citizen

Post by wyldjedi » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:57 am

I have been a VIP for a good 4 years and this is my first invitation. Mine is set for the Gurnee Mills store in Illinois, but there is 1 other Lego store that is closer by over 10 miles and another that is quicker traffic-wise. Strange how I never even been to the Gurnee Mills store before and yet that is where the invitation is for.

A drive to any Lego store costs me about the same as what their freebie PaB holiday box is worth (somewhere between a small and large PaB cup), so that is kind of a wash for me. Discounts are nice but I am a bit spoiled by Amazon and other deals online. I really wish they would tell you what kind of offers they are giving out. Would be nice there were specific items that were deep discounted as well.

I am not sure I want to go; these 'extraordinary holiday offers' are not specified and it sounds like in the past they barely amount to much. Do you think it is worth a near hour and a half drive for me?

Neo
Knight
Knight

Post by Neo » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:19 am

I got a VIP invite to the Tyson's Corner Lego Store. I plan go.

cinrose
I'm New !

Post by cinrose » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:25 am

When did they put a store at Gurnee Mills?
I spoke with the manager at Northbrook mall, where I do all my( in store) shopping.
She was surprised that my invite was for another store!
She said to expect a free PAB that could be used immediately.
A scratch card that could be worth from 10-50% off.
Triple VIP points on purchases.
She said a couple other things, but these are what stood out.
She also said that the invites were limited to 25 PER STORE and they check I.D before you enter.

Oh, and BTW, I bought another 41999 4x4 crawler at Northbrook Mall.
They still had 1 more on the shelf as of 5pm on 11/9/13.