VIP Exclusive Holiday Shopping Event 2013

Discuss about retailers that carries LEGO products here! Got a LEGO Product Find or Polybag Find from a store? Share it with us. It can be a new or even a really old retired set!
dulait
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Re: VIP Exclusive Holiday Shopping Event 2013

Post by dulait » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:55 am

Kasmca wrote:Anyone have details on what they offered in stores today for the VIPs?
Oh, 50% off everything in store... in a dream I have last night.

Just kidding, X3 points and Holiday set 2 of 2 when you spend over $99.

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:54 am

I went this morning. My invite got stashed with some junk mail by my husband, but I did get an email reminder so I was able to RSVP.

I went with my 8 year old daughter. We got:

1) Free Holiday PAB box which we had to fill today.
2) Pull off coupon which you could win free keychain, free $16.99 set or a $250 shopping spree. We were lucky and got the free $16.99 set.
3) Free Holiday set 2/2 with $99 purchase.
4) Free Holiday PAB box if purchasing $75 or more (I did not go above $150, so I do not know if they would give multiples).
5) 3x VIP points
6) each of us got a rubber bracelet that says "The LEGO Store" an "VIP" on it.
7) Hobbit Poster

So I only got one "gift" PAB...they offered one to me, but not my guest. Could be because she was a minor and obviously not making a purchase? I'm not sure if people who brought an adult guest got one each.

Also no one old me it was triple VIP points, I'm not sure if that would have changed my purchasing habits, but I'm surprised it was not mentioned.

They did not mention any special things on sale. I arrived a little late and since we had to fill that PAB box, I was short on time to pick out my items and help my daughter fill the box.

Overall I was happy that I got to get our Holiday 2/2 set without dealing w/ BF crowds. My daughter was happy to get the $16.99 set coupon and she picked a $14.99 Friends set.

I'd be curious if others were offered other sale items. I got distracted and didn't think to ask. :lol:

badbob001
Peasant
Peasant

Post by badbob001 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:02 am

I suppose 3x VIP points vs 10% off + 1x VIP points comes out to the same 15% off, but the former guarantees all that savings will be going back to LEGO in the future. Smart.

spacysmoke
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by spacysmoke » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:04 pm

At my store, they did not offer the pull off coupon, but we got everything else and they were good about mentioning the 3x VIP points. They said the PAB was 1 per family (basically 1 per invite) which kind of sucks if you brought a friend.

My store opened 1 hour after the stated time on the invite, but they neglected to tell everyone so a few of us were there early and wondering why the store was still closed and no one was around. Thankfully, I called the store and the manager (who was in the back of the store) answered and let us in early. Because they felt bad, they let us earlybirds get two PAB boxes instead of one.

Still bummed that we didn't get the coupon thing; I wonder what I would've gotten?

I only bought enough to get the holiday set. Was hoping they'd have some of the new sets our early or special discounts but that didn't happen. Overall, it was an okay experience but I would not care if I weren't invited again.

1brickshyofcrazy
Knight
Knight

Post by 1brickshyofcrazy » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:00 pm

atmail35 wrote: 5) 3x VIP points

Also no one old me it was triple VIP points, I'm not sure if that would have changed my purchasing habits, but I'm surprised it was not mentioned.
Hi question, did you check your receipt VIP points on your purchases today? I noticed that it didn't ring up 3 x VIP points but when I asked the store manager they said that they needed to send your invite info to Lego and Lego corporate marketing promo will add the 3 x VIP points. Strange but I will contact Lego CS next week if they don't show up.

zztoy
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by zztoy » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:04 am

..about your triple points, I would definitely speak to someone as they should not have to send any thing to corporate. What I don't understand is how they have the know how to make these complicated plastic pieces, package them and can't pull off the simple things, like keeping a web site running, sending email notifications when you purchase online, issue the correct points on your receipt at the most critical times of the year! What a shame..and I have already reached about to the VP of the company during and after the last promotion with hopes and suggestions, just to be repeatedly disappointed in some of the same problems over and over. However their store managers, employees, etc are some of the nicest people and ALWAYS have tried to make things GREAT, kudos to them for their excellence!

I can't believe the Chicago store opened an hour late! Wonder what went wrong there. Geesh.

I visited yesterday with my wife and children and it turned out to be a great time with all the bonuses!

Cheers.

Ben
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by Ben » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:11 am

1brickshyofcrazy wrote:

Hi question, did you check your receipt VIP points on your purchases today? I noticed that it didn't ring up 3 x VIP points but when I asked the store manager they said that they needed to send your invite info to Lego and Lego corporate marketing promo will add the 3 x VIP points. Strange but I will contact Lego CS next week if they don't show up.
At my store (Calgary, Canada) the triple VIP points were not coming up automatically. The staff were writing down every purchase (VIP card number and amount). Apparently, at least at the Calgary store, the store manager is going to have to enter the additional VIP points manually sometime in the next few days. I'll definitely be checking to make sure that they get entered as those missing points are worth more than $20 in my case.

Ben

Congruence
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Congruence » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:40 am

It was the same at Toronto Yorkdale, but they had them in my account by the time I got home.

dulait
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dulait » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:16 pm

atmail35 wrote:2) Pull off coupon which you could win free keychain, free $16.99 set or a $250 shopping spree. We were lucky and got the free $16.99 set.
From what I have read, you are the thrid person that went to the VIP event and pulled the free $16.99 set, I guess they are saving most of the free keychain cards for next friday, like they did with the SDCC minifig draw scam. Fact or fiction? We will see next week when most of us report back to see who pulled what. I hope my guess is wrong since Lego would not do something like that, would they?

SpaceViking
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by SpaceViking » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:39 pm

We pulled a free keychain card at yesterday's event. Quite happy with it---my son picked out a gold chrome minifig---something that we probably wouldnt have picked out otherwise, and will remember the event with.

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:52 pm

1brickshyofcrazy wrote:

My receipt show 3x points, i also looked on line and had one line with 1x vip points then a second line with 2x vip points for a total of 3x so all seems to be in order. The interesting thing was that i used a KidStuff coupon and it calculated my VIP earned on the pre coupon amount and then took away 20 vip points. So i seemed to have made out there.

I only noticed the 3x vip after reading here that it was being offered online. I still find it odd that it was not a selling point at the store and it was not mentioned to me at all.

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:16 pm

dulait wrote:
atmail35 wrote:2) Pull off coupon which you could win free keychain, free $16.99 set or a $250 shopping spree. We were lucky and got the free $16.99 set.
From what I have read, you are the thrid person that went to the VIP event and pulled the free $16.99 set, I guess they are saving most of the free keychain cards for next friday, like they did with the SDCC minifig draw scam. Fact or fiction? We will see next week when most of us report back to see who pulled what. I hope my guess is wrong since Lego would not do something like that, would they?
I don't know how they distribute the pull cards to the store and if each store has X Key Chains, X# $16.99 sets etc. I don't think the employees can tell what value the card has as that would create all sorts of other issues (saving them for friends etc) I should have taken a picture of the fine print on the back, but did not. I think the odds of the $16.99 set were 1 in 10. I do not recall what the odds were for the $250 shopping spree.

I think it was just the luck of the draw....in the past I've always pulled the lowest "prize" so 10% off so it maybe was my time to get the "second" tier prize :lol:

Also my thoughts on this event are that we don't really have much of an incentive to buy more than $100 (to get the holiday set and the promo PAB for spending $75). In previous years, you at least received 10, 20 or 50% off your purchase so you might want to buy more. With a free gift, why would you purchase a bunch of stuff?

I may actually go back on BF and try to get another Holiday Set if the deals are better with discounted sets.

I also find it odd that it was inconsistent. One person (spacysmoke) mentioned they didn't get the pull cards, some got PAB boxes for their kid "guest" etc. They really should keep it consistent. It could be that the Associate who greeted met at the door was newer and didn't know me, if it was someone I was friendlier with (and knew my kid), maybe it would have been different.

But I think if LEGO thinks this is a way to draw big sales numbers, that they might be mistaken.

cinrose
I'm New !

Post by cinrose » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:09 pm

The Chicago Water Tower store didn't open late.
My invite was for 7am.
Then I got an email saying that they were opening at 8am for the VIP event.
Got there at 7:25am and they let us in.
There was only 5 or 6 pairs of VIPs that were there while I was there.(about 45 minutes)
My daughter was my guest and we both got PAB boxes.
Didn't get any type of pull tab.
Bought 2 sets and got the 2nd 2013 holiday set.
Triple points.
But honestly, I've got all of the sets that the store had to offer.
Most from discount sites.
Don't know why I got an invite to downtown Chicago, when I do all of my in store shopping at a different Lego store.
It was nice to go, but I would have spent more if they had 2014 sets available.
Or discounts on sets.

PalaceBrother
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by PalaceBrother » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:43 pm

SpaceViking wrote:We pulled a free keychain card at yesterday's event. Quite happy with it---my son picked out a gold chrome minifig---something that we probably wouldnt have picked out otherwise, and will remember the event with.
My daughter choose the same keychain when we pulled the reward. Internet high-five.

dulait
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dulait » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:06 pm

atmail35 wrote:
dulait wrote:
atmail35 wrote:But I think if LEGO thinks this is a way to draw big sales numbers, that they might be mistaken.
True that, and putting restriction on no discount on exclusive sets from other retailer is not the best move, when they are not putting any discount on them from their own stores either. Also taking out the discount scratch cards will be a sign of their downfall. Also when those chinese knock off brands start to improve on their quality. THEN Lego should really start to worry when people are buying those instead.

spacysmoke
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by spacysmoke » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:32 am

cinrose wrote:The Chicago Water Tower store didn't open late.
My invite was for 7am.
Then I got an email saying that they were opening at 8am for the VIP event.
Got there at 7:25am and they let us in.
Correct. They did not open late; in fact, they opened early because they didn't contact everyone about the time change. So kudos to the manager for doing that. If you got 2 PAB boxes from the Water Tower store, it was because they felt bad about not contacting everyone about this time change. :up: (though I'm not sure if people got 2 boxes if they arrived after 8AM).

1brickshyofcrazy
Knight
Knight

Post by 1brickshyofcrazy » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:57 am

Problem was resolved by local LBS and not Lego CS. Apparently Lego CS said they can't really do anything because they considered it a different event altogether but I'm happy got my 3 x VIP points...

Now what to buy if I go this Friday - hmmmm