The fathers day event at TRU

Discuss about retailers that carries LEGO products here! Got a LEGO Product Find or Polybag Find from a store? Share it with us. It can be a new or even a really old retired set!
renedlb
I'm New !

The fathers day event at TRU

Post by renedlb » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:06 am

Anyone go?

We scored big time. We went and my husband made a huge plane. My son could not grab that fact that whatever he built he would be able to take home....FREE LEGOS...

The plane my husband made was huge. Havent taken it apart to see how many legos but I would guess 150-200.

But anyway.... I over heard the employee tell someone that all the legos that are left will be thrown away. SOOOO I called after we left and asked if they would hold any left overs for me. They said yes well I went back and ended up getting about 500 more legos FREE.

They are all the normal colors...red, blue, yellow, green, black and brown. Small pieces but still free legos.

ANyone else score big???

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Re: The fathers day event at TRU

Post by vynsane » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:33 am

WOW! Nice score - I'll have to check it out next year if they do it again.

This year we just had a BBQ in the back yard with my dad, his wife, and my in-laws, where I put together the two World Racers sets I got from my wife and daughter.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

possum
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by possum » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:09 am

I took my nearly-step daughters & we had a good time. We got there right at the start & it was fairly busy so I left the building mostly to the girls. The 7 y/o built a decent little RV-type vehicle, but it kept falling apart so she gave the pieces to another kid (while I was shopping for more LEGO). The 10 y/o built something ridiculous with no real theme, but she let me make a thick lattice of green 1x10 plates & attach it for myself to keep.

The best part of it for me was the way this TRU had staggered their display of minifigs. I took my cheat sheet, found the one Zombie left & gave the codes list to another dad with his kids. As the girls were finishing up at the building table, my fiance says "look they put out more minifigures" (she makes me watch baseball too, what a catch!) Turns out they were just refilling the box when it got low on stock. So I found another Zombie to finish off my collection. Wish I'd thought to ask about left over bricks....
Disclosure of location should be required when listing your finds!

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

Post by hatcher » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:52 am

I wish I had as good a time as you guys did.

In Canada, it was a race. So, since my daughter had fun last year, we went again.

Problem #1. I signed her up for the third race, because I wanted to see what designs did well in opening heats to help her design hers (She's only 4). Well, we get there, and when its time for the first race to start, half of the people who signed up for it aren't there yet so they start pulling people from subsequent races up to fill the slots. You guessed, my daughter got pulled up to the first race.

Ok, so I'm not impressed, but what can you do?

Problem #2. Last year, they had an electronic timer, and two cars would race each other, and the timer would let you know how fast each care went. Fastest car of the day would win. This year, they have no timer, and four cars race each other (a board across the track is pulled up to release the cars.) Well, the guy in charge does like the board, he thinks it sticks, so he wants to have the kids hold onto the cars are release them. Yeah, that's going to work. The other three kids are all older, and are pushing the cars, etc. So after 3 practice runs, they decide to go back to the board. Well, during all the runs, my daughters car bumped up against the side of the track, and the wheel's go pushed into the side of the car. So when the "official" race began, he car didn't even make it down the ramp, and she came in last. I'm like, WTF? So, I go look and the car and notice the wheels. I point it out to the guy in charge and he's like "so?" I pull the wheel back into place and send it down the track to show him that her car had been "damaged" during the test runs. I thought they should have re-run the race. I didn't really think she would win, but I didn't think the race had been fair either. The guy basically turned his back on me and moved onto the next group.

Problem #3. My daughter is devastated, and cries most of the way home. Not even the Lego pencils and other swag they gave her made up for it.

Will I take her back next year? Probably, but I will not let the same crap happen to her again.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

wkunert
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by wkunert » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:27 pm

I pretty much forced my kids to go (ages 6 and 9). They weren't much into it once they realized the pieces they could take home were "lame". The TRU employee had no idea what to do with the games, and we left before anything happened with that, so I don't know what they did prizes.

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:21 pm

I should have borrowed one of my nieces or nephews and gone to this. Maybe next year.
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?