Stop & Shop?? 50% Off SW & City Sets? Really?

Discuss about retailers that carries LEGO products here! Got a LEGO Product Find or Polybag Find from a store? Share it with us. It can be a new or even a really old retired set!
murphquake
Peasant
Peasant

Stop & Shop?? 50% Off SW & City Sets? Really?

Post by murphquake » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:33 am

Two nights ago a friend sent me a text message saying he saw some Lego on sale at one of the Stop & Shop stores in Queens, NYC, marked as 50% off. He sent me a picture of the shelves and indeed there were some items that appeared marked down. Last night I went to check it out. I found a small selection of recent SW sets, and a couple recent and some older City sets, some of which had "50% off" markings on the shelf. However the item names on the shelf were confusing, and only by checking the UPC number could I determine what they were saying was on sale.

I can confirm that I was able to get 3x 9489 Endor Battle Pack for $6.49 & the last copy of 4432 Garbage Truck for $9.99, both of which work out to a proper $50% off. BUT, the tag for the battlepacks was not clear whether it was this one or the Elite Clone & Commando Droid BP, which they had many more of, and the tag for 4432's UPC number said "Prisoner Transport" on it? They also had 4436 Forest Police Patrol Car, 7741 City Police Helicopter and a 7942 City Off-Road Fire Rescue (silver fire helmet :), i believe all for $4.99 but the tag said Police Helicopter and had the UPC for the fire truck? (Forest Patrol had the right number). Finally they had 9491 Geonosian Cannon, with a tag at the shelf with 9490 Droid Escape, listing the item as "Imperial" and price as $12.49 for half off of $24.99, the UPC matched the Geonosian Cannon. Again not sure if Droid Escape also qualifies.

If you have a S&S in your area it's probably worth checking out. These were located in a seasonal section, directly behind the new beer section (hadn't been to this one since I moved last year, their beer display is 6x bigger now, yay!!)

mesir
Peasant
Peasant

Re: Stop & Shop?? 50% Off SW & City Sets? Really?

Post by mesir » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:43 am

I've noticed the same sale at my local Stop and Shop in the Boston area, however that sale was non-existent at another store a few miles away. The sale tags stated that the items were being discontinued, and that the expiration date for the sale was 3/28 (I assume for 2013). The items that were being discounted at 50% include the 3366 Satellite Launch Pad ($9.99), 7286 Prison Transport ($9.99) - although the tag was placed over a bunch of Garbage Trucks with no actual Prison Transports in sight, 9470 Shelob Attacks ($9.99), 9469 Gandalf Arrives ($7.49), 5761 Creator Mini Digger ($3.49), Large Pink Brick Box ($19.99). There might have been some others, but I don't quite remember. The sets were located in their toys aisle.

dho7622u
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dho7622u » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:03 pm

Yerp. Same here...weird

BrickUpdate
Knight
Knight

Post by BrickUpdate » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:22 pm

Everything was full price by me.

bobl
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by bobl » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:07 pm

I checked the three Stop & Shops closest to me. The first 2 had absolutely no Legos. The third on had a buy one get one free sale. It looked like this sale was on until Nov.22. Strange that this was so different than the other stores mentioned. So I just got two of each item I wanted.

thehotsung
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by thehotsung » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:19 pm

What is Stop & Shop?

bobl
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by bobl » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:47 pm

Stop & Shop is a grocery store chain. It might be limited to New England or the east coast. They have a very small toy section like CVS or Walgreens have.

thehotsung
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by thehotsung » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:18 pm

bobl wrote:Stop & Shop is a grocery store chain. It might be limited to New England or the east coast. They have a very small toy section like CVS or Walgreens have.
OK you are right, it doesn't appear to be any where I live. I wonder if CVS or Walgreens have Lego sale or if they even sell Lego?

murphquake
Peasant
Peasant

Post by murphquake » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:36 am

A lot of people report finding Lego at Walgreens, one by me has some older HF sets at regular price. Stop & Shop is an East Coast chain that has been around for a long time, at least in New England Jonathan Richman & The Modern Lovers mention it prominently in their hit "Roadrunner" from the early 70's (JR is the guy who sings between scenes in "There's Something About Mary"). They first appeared in NYC when they bought the Edwards chain of supermarkets, but they're more "corporate" and the Edwards stores were a lot better IMNSHO

The problem I found was that the sale tags are only marked with the UPC code number and the names are wrong. Geonosian Cannon just said "Imperial" and was $12.49 as was Droid Escape (both are $20 so not quite 50% but they had the shelf tag at $24.99) The "Prisoner Transport" tag actually had the UPC # for the Garbage Truck #4432, and i got the last one for $9.99, great set with lots of Bright Green and a clever build, they also had #4434 Dump Truck (with the Orange cab) but it scanned for $19.99. Earlier in the week they had #4436 Patrol Car for $4.99, and I thought it was an even 50% but it's actually MSRP of $11.99 so it's even better than that at almost 60% off, but when I went back saturday night there were none of it or #7741 Police Helicopter left. I found a price scanner and scanned everything they had at that store and was happy to see that #9488 Elite Clone Trooper & Commando Droid Battle Pack was $6.49 just like #9489 Endor BP had been. I grabbed a couple of each of 9488 & 7942 at those awesome prices, Ive got 2 other S&S stores in the area I'm going to try to check, as the sale tags were dated until 11/22

thehotsung
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by thehotsung » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:24 pm

murphquake wrote:A lot of people report finding Lego at Walgreens, one by me has some older HF sets at regular price. Stop & Shop is an East Coast chain that has been around for a long time, at least in New England Jonathan Richman & The Modern Lovers mention it prominently in their hit "Roadrunner" from the early 70's (JR is the guy who sings between scenes in "There's Something About Mary"). They first appeared in NYC when they bought the Edwards chain of supermarkets, but they're more "corporate" and the Edwards stores were a lot better IMNSHO

The problem I found was that the sale tags are only marked with the UPC code number and the names are wrong. Geonosian Cannon just said "Imperial" and was $12.49 as was Droid Escape (both are $20 so not quite 50% but they had the shelf tag at $24.99) The "Prisoner Transport" tag actually had the UPC # for the Garbage Truck #4432, and i got the last one for $9.99, great set with lots of Bright Green and a clever build, they also had #4434 Dump Truck (with the Orange cab) but it scanned for $19.99. Earlier in the week they had #4436 Patrol Car for $4.99, and I thought it was an even 50% but it's actually MSRP of $11.99 so it's even better than that at almost 60% off, but when I went back saturday night there were none of it or #7741 Police Helicopter left. I found a price scanner and scanned everything they had at that store and was happy to see that #9488 Elite Clone Trooper & Commando Droid Battle Pack was $6.49 just like #9489 Endor BP had been. I grabbed a couple of each of 9488 & 7942 at those awesome prices, Ive got 2 other S&S stores in the area I'm going to try to check, as the sale tags were dated until 11/22
Man I wish I got your deal. Mainly I just want the Garbage truck, and all the battle packs (troopers & droids). As someone who is new to Lego, I really wish I had done this years ago especially when I find a lot of the best looking sets are from 2005 to 2009 :down: .

It appear modern set are more expensive with less mini figures and smaller as well. Thanks for the advice though, I guess you really have to be determine as well as a smart shopper.

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Post by Mantisking » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:01 pm

thehotsung
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by thehotsung » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:07 pm

Mantisking wrote:{* Cough *}
That only 33% though.