Lego Store in Canada?

Discuss about retailers that carries LEGO products here! Got a LEGO Product Find or Polybag Find from a store? Share it with us. It can be a new or even a really old retired set!
strongholds
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Lego Store in Canada?

Post by strongholds » Wed May 05, 2010 11:10 am

I found job listings for Lego stores in Canada Calgary Chinook Center. They are looking for Store Managers and Associates. So Lego stores are finally coming to Canada? I'm really excited :D

http://jobview.monster.ca/LEGO-Brand-Re ... 70390.aspx

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-jobs-sales-r ... Z201912205

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Re: Lego Store in Canada?

Post by vynsane » Wed May 05, 2010 11:20 am

Interesting. Not that it affects me in the slightest, but I've heard a lot of rumblings across the interweb by disgruntled CAFOLs (Canadian AFOLs), so they should be happy.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

kevin93
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by kevin93 » Wed May 05, 2010 3:34 pm

Good for you Canucks. I'm sure there will be lots of happy Canadians.

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

Post by hatcher » Wed May 05, 2010 3:37 pm

Its sounds good in theory, but why would we want a Lego store in Canada that will just have the same ridiculous prices that shop at home has? Oh sure, if you live nearby there won't be any shipping, but that's about the only real incentive to shop there in my mind.

But then again, I'm still bitter about missing the $170 UCS Falcon and the $87 drop ship during the May the 4th sale, so maybe you should just ignore me.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

sidersdd
Knight
Knight

Post by sidersdd » Wed May 12, 2010 11:31 am

From the Lego Store web site:
http://stores.lego.com/en-US/default.aspx

The first LEGO Store in Canada is opening this Summer at Chinook Centre in Calgary!
Check back soon for more details.

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ice » Wed May 12, 2010 5:21 pm

Thanks for the news sidersdd. I can't wait for a LEGO Store. We'll get all the benefits such as VIP programs and PAB. :D

Tomatoe
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Tomatoe » Wed May 12, 2010 5:48 pm

So it is true afterall. I'm suprised Calgary will get a store first when they are like the 4th largest city. Everyone thought Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver will get it first. I guess its cause their province is rich with oil and people there loves to spend money with their 1 tax 5% GST.

Senator
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Senator » Wed May 12, 2010 6:03 pm

Sweet for a Lego Store in Canada. We just need one in Toronto. According to wikipedia..Chinook Centre is owned by Cadillac Fairview. The company owns many malls across Canada including Toronto Eaton Centre. It would be perfect if they put a Lego Store there.
Tomatoe wrote:So it is true afterall. I'm suprised Calgary will get a store first when they are like the 4th largest city. Everyone thought Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver will get it first. I guess its cause their province is rich with oil and people there loves to spend money with their 1 tax 5% GST.
I pretty much agree with you on that. Toronto really should be first to get a Lego Store followed by Montreal and Vancouver. We have one of the largest condense population in Canada. But its still nice to know Lego is planning on adding stores in Canada. Once the first store comes, the country will be filled with stores everywhere.

SpaceLego
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by SpaceLego » Wed May 12, 2010 8:29 pm

After a long wait.......... FINALLY a Lego Store in Canada. A big win for Canadians this time. Now all they need to get here is Brickmaster Magazines and cheaper prices. :)

clock4me
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by clock4me » Thu May 13, 2010 4:28 pm

Actually a store in Alberta would be perfect. The closest lego store from calgary is in bellevue which is too far away. Its good for Vancouver since they are much closer.

strongholds
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by strongholds » Mon May 17, 2010 9:52 pm

Anyone heard of any news when the bigger cities like Vancouver will get a store?

Alyvin
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Alyvin » Wed May 19, 2010 5:11 pm

strongholds wrote:Anyone heard of any news when the bigger cities like Vancouver will get a store?
Yes, major cities like toronto, montreal and vancouver will get one for sure.

clock4me
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by clock4me » Thu May 27, 2010 4:00 pm

An article says the grand opening celebration will be on July 16 to 18 with construction of a eight-foot-tall Lego Buzz Lightyear model.

brickz
Knight
Knight

Post by brickz » Fri May 28, 2010 12:31 pm

Congrats to Canadians. You guys will sure be happy with the vip rewards, stores and brickmaster soon.

Senator
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Senator » Sat May 29, 2010 8:43 pm

clock4me wrote:An article says the grand opening celebration will be on July 16 to 18 with construction of a eight-foot-tall Lego Buzz Lightyear model.
Thats less than 2 months wait now. They still need one for Toronto.

Daz Hoo
I'm New !

Post by Daz Hoo » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:33 am

Like I wrote on FBTB's forums, not to diminuish the importance of Calgary as a market (the city does have a florishing economy thanks to its oil-dollars), but I think that sales taxes imposed by numerous provinces played a big part in the decision to open the first LEGO Store in Alberta instead of Toronto, Montreal or Vancouver.

I don't know about the other provinces, but over here in Quebec, if an online store also has a physical place of business in Quebec, that company has to charge the provincial sale tax to all its sales in Quebec, whether they are made in the store or online and shipped to Quebec addresses. That means that LEGO Shop At Home would have to charge the PST to all sales billed to Quebecers, and that would probably mean re-programming LEGO's Shop At Home billing system. Alberta having no provincial sale tax, LEGO doesn't have to change squat to their billing system.

Hence why I think Calgary was choosen over Toronto, Vancouver or Montreal IMHO.

My guess is that, if the Calgary LEGO Store does well, the next one will surely open in the Toronto area, as LEGO already charges the PST to Ontario buyers when they shop online (probably because LEGO Canada headquarters are in Ontario).

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:53 am

That's a shame for Canada then : \ It's the same way in some of the states. Where I live I don't get charged tax for ordering online but in quite a few eastern states as well as western states they get charged for it. Sadly enough I still don't have a LEGO store in my state though :?
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

Daz Hoo
I'm New !

Post by Daz Hoo » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:11 pm

legitimatealex wrote:That's a shame for Canada then : \
Why exactly? Because we have sale taxes?

Be careful not to turn this into a political debate...

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:02 pm

Because stores might not open up in certain parts of Canada because of certain sale taxes. That limits where the stores pop up. I've got to drive an hour and a half to the nearest LEGO store and that happens maybe once a year. It stinks not having a store near you.
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

Daz Hoo
I'm New !

Post by Daz Hoo » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:41 pm

Seriously, I know that quite a few of my fellow QuéLUGgers are quite happy NOT having a LEGO Store near them if it means not paying the PST when they order from Shop At Home.

And personally, my taxes pay for a lot of things I do enjoy as a Canadian and Québécois, so if LEGO doesn't want to open a store here only for that reason, so be it...