Lego Store in Canada?

Discuss about retailers that carries LEGO products here! Got a LEGO Product Find or Polybag Find from a store? Share it with us. It can be a new or even a really old retired set!
yankeeken
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Re: Lego Store in Canada?

Post by yankeeken » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:04 pm

legitimatealex wrote:Because stores might not open up in certain parts of Canada because of certain sale taxes. That limits where the stores pop up. I've got to drive an hour and a half to the nearest LEGO store and that happens maybe once a year. It stinks not having a store near you.
Well, I have to drive an hour to get to the nearest LEGO store here in California and I don't even get tax free online orders. I'd save a lot of money on online orders if there was no LEGO store in California. A matter of fact I haven't been in a LEGO store for 10 years either. The last thing I bought in one was the original B-Wing, which I bought at LEGO Land.

DarthPaka
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by DarthPaka » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:16 pm

Maybe some of us Canadian Lego Fans should just pool our resourses and open our own Vancouver/ Toronto/ Montreal store? Anyone interested?

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:14 pm

Haha just as long as you have a Pick a Brick, the saving grace of LEGO stores.
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

beethead
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by beethead » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:15 pm

DarthPaka wrote:Maybe some of us Canadian Lego Fans should just pool our resourses and open our own Vancouver/ Toronto/ Montreal store? Anyone interested?
Thought about it many times but price per square footage in Vancouver is just too much for a high traffic location. Unless you own the retail space or have wealthy backers you'd probably go broke in a year. Just too much competition from the likes of TRU , Walmart and Zellers. An independant would have a hard time coming up with the buying volume to provide any kind of discounts. If you provided some kind of value added service like doing birthday parties and special events that would help tremendously. Locating yourself beside an established hobby store or group of kid friendly stores would be an added bonus too.

Toys N Bricks
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Toys N Bricks » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:37 am

The first ever LEGO Store in Canada will be having its grand opening celebration at Chinook Centre Calgary from July 16-18! During the celebration, you can help master model builders build an 8-ft tall model of Buzz Lightyear.

Be the first 300 customers to spend $35 in the LEGO Store and you’ll receive an exclusive, limited-edition LEGO rodeo set on Saturday or a limited edition LEGO Minifigure T-Shirt on Sunday!
  • Friday, July 16: 11:00am – 7:00pm
  • Saturday, July 17: 10:00am – 6:00pm
  • Sunday, July 18: 11:00am – 6:00pm

Permalink: http://toysnbricks.com/blog/can-calgary ... uly-16-18/
Toys N Bricks
A LEGO Fan Community. Like us on FaceBook and follow us on Twitter!

clock4me
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by clock4me » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:12 pm

Thats less than a month away now :D

Tomatoe
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Tomatoe » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:18 pm

Anyone going to the grand opening celebration? I would like to see some pictures of the canadian lego store :)

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:07 pm

Tomatoe wrote:Anyone going to the grand opening celebration? I would like to see some pictures of the canadian lego store :)
I bet they have hockey all over it and the sign says "LEGO, eh?" but other than that, not too different from the stores in America. ;)
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:27 am

vynsane wrote:
Tomatoe wrote:Anyone going to the grand opening celebration? I would like to see some pictures of the canadian lego store :)
I bet they have hockey all over it and the sign says "LEGO, eh?" but other than that, not too different from the stores in America. ;)
Maple syrup will be slathered all over the bricks when little kids stick their hands in the pickabrick and the store will also sell cheaply priced beer :D
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

TClone
Knight
Knight

Post by TClone » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:53 pm

Any other stores planned for Canada?

SpaceLego
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by SpaceLego » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:03 am

TClone wrote:Any other stores planned for Canada?
Mosty likely, YES. I have also heard the calgary store is already opened before the actual grand opening date.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:39 pm

SpaceLego wrote:I have also heard the calgary store is already opened before the actual grand opening date.
Most stores (LEGO or otherwise) do a soft launch, as most of the employees are relatively green and a grand opening (especially of the sort LEGO generates) is too much of a baptism by fire. A soft launch lets the employees get a feel for the store and clientele before the grand opening rush.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

kevin93
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by kevin93 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:05 am

vynsane wrote:
SpaceLego wrote:I have also heard the calgary store is already opened before the actual grand opening date.
Most stores (LEGO or otherwise) do a soft launch, as most of the employees are relatively green and a grand opening (especially of the sort LEGO generates) is too much of a baptism by fire. A soft launch lets the employees get a feel for the store and clientele before the grand opening rush.
Yes, like vynsane, most stores do a soft opening a fews days before the actual grand opening celebration.

calvinwashere2
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by calvinwashere2 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:37 pm

It all sounds like a nice idea to work for Lego and get a discount in the process, but I'm sure if one were to take it up as a job...it'll start to lose some of its magic (or maybe not for some people)...some of the fun is not having to deal w/ irate customers not having the sets they want, etc...

computershopper
I'm New !

Post by computershopper » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:15 pm

I just got back from a trip to the new store in Calgary. It was packed which they say that is "normal" since it's grand opening. They are still having many problems. They have a pick a brick wall but NO CUPS so you can only look :evil: You couldn't sign up for the rewards program, you have to call customer service who tells you to go to the store who tells you to call customer service and back and forth...And they were sold out of many of the popular sets but on the up side I brought in my lego magazine that came in the mail this month and they honoured the $149.99 CND for the Fire Brigade (suppose to be $199.99, typo and it stated all prices in mag guaranteed until Aug. 15). If you live near Calgary or order online they should honour for you too!! I feel bad for the workers there.... maybe not such a good time to be a Lego employee ;)

brickz
Knight
Knight

Post by brickz » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:06 pm

computershopper wrote:I just got back from a trip to the new store in Calgary. It was packed which they say that is "normal" since it's grand opening. They are still having many problems. They have a pick a brick wall but NO CUPS so you can only look :evil: You couldn't sign up for the rewards program, you have to call customer service who tells you to go to the store who tells you to call customer service and back and forth...And they were sold out of many of the popular sets but on the up side I brought in my lego magazine that came in the mail this month and they honoured the $149.99 CND for the Fire Brigade (suppose to be $199.99, typo and it stated all prices in mag guaranteed until Aug. 15). If you live near Calgary or order online they should honour for you too!! I feel bad for the workers there.... maybe not such a good time to be a Lego employee ;)
But isn't all the lego stores like this all the time?