TRU "New and Improved" Rewards program - NOT!

Discuss about retailers that carries LEGO products here! Got a LEGO Product Find or Polybag Find from a store? Share it with us. It can be a new or even a really old retired set!
meyerc13
Knight
Knight

TRU "New and Improved" Rewards program - NOT!

Post by meyerc13 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:12 pm

I just got an email about the new and 'improved' Toys R Us Rewards R Us program. I guess 'improved' is a relative term, from their perspective I'm sure it is improved, but from a customer perspective, TRU has just found another way to make shopping there less attractive.

It seems now you earn 2 points per dollar spent (except on forumla, Apple products, video games and a bunch of other stuff that is only 1 point per dollar spent). You need 500 points to get $5 back. So that means spend $250 to get $5.

Let's compare that to the old forumla, which was $5 per $150 spent.

Doesn't seem improved to me, does it? Although the old program only gave you half credit if the item was on sale, so if they removed that and you only buy items on sale maybe this is a better deal, slightly, but I think overall it wouldn't be for someone like me who buys a mix of regular price and sale priced items.

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Re: TRU "New and Improved" Rewards program - NOT!

Post by atmail35 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:14 pm

I think the improvement is that the points don't expire, so it seems like you can keep rolling them forward instead of having to spend $150 during a 3 month period to get $5. You could theoreticaly spend $100 in June, $200 in July and let that sit until you spend more for the holidays in December.

Still not a great return on $ spent, but I guess better than nothing.

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:07 pm

I noticed this on the website:
Earn 2 points per $1 spent on qualifying purchases at Toys"R"Us & Babies"R"Us*

Earn 1 point per $1 spent on diapers, formula, wipes, baby food, videogames, video game hardware, video game accessories, Apple products,V.I.B. (Very Important Baby) card loads and gift card purchases
Surprised too see that gift cards qualify for points. Can you double dip and buy a GC, earn points, then use GC to pay for LEGO and earn points?

vman100
Citizen
Citizen

Post by vman100 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:00 pm

Why would something purchased with a gift card earn points? Double dipping would be nice, but I can't think of any programs that give you point credit for purchases paid for with gift cards...

soccerkid6
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by soccerkid6 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:03 am

The LEGO VIP program does, I paid about 60$ worth of a purchase with gift cards and they gave me points on it. The cashier said they treat it just like cash.

lordharrier
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by lordharrier » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:28 pm

soccerkid6 wrote:The LEGO VIP program does, I paid about 60$ worth of a purchase with gift cards and they gave me points on it. The cashier said they treat it just like cash.
But does the purchase of a gift card give you points? If it did, double VIP points all the time!
My Dark Age was 41 years.. weep for me.

My Flickr: There isn't much but I have a lot of favorites!

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:29 pm

^ No, points are only accrued on purchase of merchandise, not gift cards, so the points are only garnered when you cash in the GCs for merch.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Post by Mantisking » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:10 am

atmail35 wrote:I think the improvement is that the points don't expire, so it seems like you can keep rolling them forward instead of having to spend $150 during a 3 month period to get $5.
That's the only reason to keep using the program.